300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running the license

I know this maybe be considered a stupid question to some but, if I really cared how they felt, I probably wouldn't have asked. But here it goes

When an officer pulls someone over to run them through the system for warrants or anything, do the system keep track how many times this person was ran?

If it does, does it tell you who else ran the license, like for instinct let's say NYPD ran the license at 2pm were clean then, NYSP ran the license at 10pm and it were clean? Does it keep track of who's running it?
    ARE YOU READY OR NOT

I think that may depend on the state. In Indiana, I can run a lic plate and IDACS will keep it in history for a hour or so. I know this because I was asked one time where I ran a plate earlier because it was getting entered as stolen and it showed that I had just ran the plate. Not sure about a drivers license. Not heard of that one.

Comment

In our system if you run a "QQ nam/last,first.dob/XXXXXX" it will tell you who ran the person for a year or so prior. It is the same for plates except it would be "QQ LIC/XXXXXXX".
      I have the heart of a child..................................No really, it is in a jar on my desk.

Comment

Somebody, somewhere keeps track of who runs what and when. Try running the presidents name and see how quickly the phones at the PD start ringing.

Comment

The information is kept track of. The DMV normally keeps track of that information as well as the systems the info is run on. Everything we run is logged and eventually audited.

Comment

Originally posted by MCSD241 View Post
            In Indiana, I can run a lic plate and IDACS will keep it in history for a hour or so.

It keeps it way longer than that, it just won't generate automatic responses to recent activity. The fact you ran someone and when stays in IDACS for quite awhile and can be queried by IDACS, but generally not by limited access operators.
            I miss you, Dave.
            http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Yes, it seems it is kept track of. I had a missing persons case and upon having the persons name entered it was found that she had been run on a traffic stop in the Southwest sometime prior to that.

Comment

We have an agency specific system that creates what we call a "Hot file" for every tag, person, vin, article, etc. that gets run. So a lot of times I stop a car and dispatch will say, "There's a hot file for this vehicle. It was stopped on [date, date, date, date, and date]." We can add comments too for officer safety or out of the ordinary situations. Some people say what they were cited or warned for, but we're really not supposed to.

Comment

Originally posted by reelrell View Post
                  I know this maybe be considered a stupid question to some but, if I really cared how they felt, I probably wouldn't have asked. But here it goes

When an officer pulls someone over to run them through the system for warrants or anything, do the system keep track how many times this person was ran?

If it does, does it tell you who else ran the license, like for instinct let's say NYPD ran the license at 2pm were clean then, NYSP ran the license at 10pm and it were clean? Does it keep track of who's running it?
                  In addition to the many pieces of paper that law enforcement standards has given me I have one that says I'm a "Level II Operator" for the Arkansas Crime Information Center which means I'm trained to do it all when it comes to "running people" ranging from querying people thru our state system or entering information into that as well as the National Crime Information Center. Here, if you run someone then the system itself won't know the officer that wanted the information, but it will know the operator who was logged into the system and what time and terminal from which the information was queried. It's been over two years since I've worked operations so I can't recall how long that information was kept on record, but it seems that the more sensitive information such as criminal history queries were kept on file longer as they would often audit those queries 12 months down the road. Also, to obtain a criminal history the dispatcher had to enter data into a field which included the officers last name and first initial. The best and longest lasting record is generally your agency log. Typically, a dispatcher or telecommunications operator (in my experiences here in Arkansas) will type or sometimes handwrite a log of all officer radio traffic ranging from stopping to get a coke, to running someone's license plate and making a traffic stop, or struggling with and arresting someone. That log could be modified internally. When I was in operations I could modify logs, but none of the other operators could, and when I was in patrol I could still do the same while none of the other patrolmen could even access the log. It seems that you are concerned that an officer may have abused the system which here is a Class D felony and officers have been imprisoned for it as well as dispatchers. I should note that if an officer has a mobile data terminal in his car then the system should recognize that he was personally logged in and go from there. I hope this helps.

Comment

wow i had a feeling they keep this info on file or they know it. but that's really cool though.
                    ARE YOU READY OR NOT

Comment

Originally posted by reelrell View Post

yes
                      Certified troll.

Comment

Our dispatchers will usually let us know how many times a car has been stopped or at least ran in the past year, give or take depending on the dispatcher. LEIN keeps track of the car being ran as well as who ran it and who requested it.
                        "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

it's just so fascinating to me, how some departments systems are similar and different around the country. how much technology has progressed. like you can actually see who else has run this person country wide & which officer did it and some can even leave comments like, this is an aggressive person or this is a sweet little old lady. ether way, it's just awesome!! thank all you LEO's for your great information :]
                          ARE YOU READY OR NOT

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4752 users online. 221 members and 4531 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                          X