300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• over qualifed or better prepared

I wondering how many LEOs have additional certifications such as but not limited to:

Jailer
    EMT
    Paramedic
    Fire Fighter
    etc.

Would having additional certifications look good on an application? Also, how will having these certifications enhance your ability to preform while on duty?
    Last edited by eastham ninja; 12-25-2008, 07:00 AM.
    People confuse confidence with being arogant. Its a fine line.

thoughjersyguy I am serious with this question. However I prolly should of worded it a little better. I was wondering how many LEOs have gone that extra mile and have gotten the certifications as well as how it has helped them in their LE career. I will use the information provided to make better desicions in what certifications I will aquire so that I may be better educated and trained.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with the question but since you are a LEO I respect your sarcastic opinion.

Anyone else have any advice pertianing to my question?

Comment

Oh also are there any special opportunites that have presented in yalls careers by having a combination of additional certifications?

Comment

The additional certifications could be useful,and would look OK on an application. I certainly don't wish to demean the effort it took to achieve the certifications you've mentioned, but if you apply to a LE agency, you'll still have to test well in all phases of the hiring process.

Comment

Originally posted by eastham ninja View Post
          I wondering how many LEOs have additional certifications such as but not limited to:

Jailer
          EMT
          Paramedic
          Fire Fighter
          etc.

Would having additional certifications look good on an application? Also, how will having these certifications enhance your ability to preform while on duty?

Well, I've known jailers that made good cops because they would have been good cops anyway, plus they were already familiar with the CJ system and the local hoodrats. I started off briefly in the jail, and I wasn't there long enough to even have that many jail related memories. I've also known jailers that turned out to be total morons, but they would've been morons prior to jailing. I dispatched for several months while working towards a second bacehlor's degree, and ALL that helped me as a cop. However, the helpfulness is going to depend on what you get out of it.

I was a paramedic (downgraded to basic EMT recently) when I got into LE, and yes that did help me in the application process (and jailing and dispatching did too). It also helped me on the streets when I encountered medical problems and other occasions where a knowledge of anatomy and physiology was essential such like did crackhead actually OD or is he faking. Additionally, I knew from a first responder role what EMS would want and need before coming and arriving on scene.

I was a volunteer fireman for six years. I enjoyed the first two and felt morally obligated to continue on with it. I did some of this before LE and some in LE. I'm actually on a roster with a vollie FD, but I don't do much except help them out on medicals and scene command/organization stuff. The only part of this that ever had anything to do with me in LE was the fact that I went to every structure and vehicle fire "to look." I also walked into a duplex housefire once to help some elderly people to get out which was probably more stupid than anything else. Had I never been an FF I may not have done that, but I can't say for certain...

Any experience in the emergency or CJ realm will be of use to you as you'll have that knowledge and skill base to draw from when encountering the extensive variety of things that police officers deal with. Will all of that make you a better cop? Yes, if you already have the innate skills to be a cop. If you lack those then nope nothing would help.

Comment

Thanks for the info. What yall have said about having the qualifications and ability to be a LEO makes perfect sense.

I've been working for the Texas Department of Criminal Justice as a CO and feel that the experience in report writting, uses of force, and interviewing skills will help me tremendously. I remember one time we had to respond to an offender who had taken a razor blade and turned his arm into shredded cheese. It was a shock but helped me prepare myself mentally for other critical incedents I have had to respond to in the prison.

What you said about having the ability to assist the medical responders on scene makes perfect sense. Also if your the first to respond to a call you'll know exactlly what to do.

Again everyone thank you for sharing your wisdom. I'm glad that I have such a good source of information at my disposal.

Comment

Yes I have other qualifications.

Yes you should too, the more the better. You won't be over qualified just because you have the know-how to save a life with CPR or put out a fire with water....

School is GOOD.
              Specialized training is GOOD.

Comment

Assuming You Are Applying With A Civil Service Agency

In most civil service agencies, an application is merely a screening device. It is used to determine whether you possess the minimum requirements necessary for admission to the testing process for the job you are seeking (age, citizenship, drivers license, education, residency, etc.). If you application shows that you possess the minimum qualifications, it goes in the pile of people who will be allowed to test, If it fails to show that you possess the minimum qualifications, it goes into the pile of people who will not be allowed to test.

For this reason, additional qualifications above and beyond the minimum (prior experience, military service, EMT certificate, speaking multiple languages, prior management or supervisory experience, etc.) generally do not benefit you on the application. However, knowledge gained from these skills and experiences may help you in correctly answering questions on the written and oral exams for the position you are seeking, increasing your overall score. Those with the highest scores usually get hired first.

As strange as it sounds, additional skills are often not considered during the testing process. To avoid charges of favoritism or discrimination, civil service applicants are usually evaluated by the same, fixed testing criteria, which has been decided upon ahead of time and which has been determined to have a legitimate relationship to the job you are seeking. This is done by asking and scoring applicants on the same set of job related written and oral questions. When you start arbitrarily adding points because out of the blue, an applicant tells you about some nifty skill they have, you have changed the dynamics of the scoring process solely for the benefit of that candidate. This opens you up to charges of discrimination and disparate treatment from other applicants who may score lower.

I can't help you with the written, but http://www.post.ca.gov/selection/S&E...wguide-web.pdf will give an overview of what many oral panels look at.
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Of course you could always apply with an agency like mine, where all officers are cross-trained as firefighters, and about 1/3 of us are EMTs/IVs.
                  I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

wow thanks everyone.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5843 users online. 357 members and 5486 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X