Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seized Vehicles

Hello.
    I've tried doing a search, but came up unsuccessful in trying to find the answer.

Can police seized vehicles be bought by LEO's prior to being auctioned?
    I always wondered if this was something that was common practice.
    Thanks!

I don't know for sure, but if I had to guess I would say absolutely not. It would not be appropriate for a LEO to have any preference in purchasing a vehicle seized by LE. Even if the seizure were totally legitimate, it would give the appearance of impropriety. Not to mention that there really isn't any legitimate reason why LEO's should have first crack at seized property.
    Before science, it was believed that autumn was caused by Chuck Norris simultaneously roundhouse kicking every tree on the planet.

Comment

Nope not here. All seizures are sold at a public auction which we nor family members may participate in.
      The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

not not at all. it's a conflict of interest and wouldn't be good business practice for the county. all of our vehicles are actually listed on ebay.
        Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

Ours don't even go to auctions... we just sell them back to whoever we took it from for about 1/8th of what it's worth. Not that we needs more UC vehicles or anything.

Comment

Absolutely not.

Comment

If the vehicle is something the county wants to use they will keep it and it wont even get to an auction. But this is only for the county, if I wanted to personally purchase one I would have to go to the auction just like Joe Citizen would. I wouldnt do this however because the department keeps all of the best stuff and sells the junk. All most all of the good cars are owned by banks and the bank gets the first option of repossessing it, which I would say they do 90% of the time.

Comment

My agency seizes many vehicles in the course of a year. If the vehicle is useful to Department operations, we obtain a Court Order awarding the vehicle to the Department. Vehicles not meeting Department needs would be sold at Public Auction. At no time would an Officer be given preference in purchasing a seized vehicle.

Comment

Can police seized vehicles be bought by LEO's prior to being auctioned
                  Negative in my neck of the woods as well, just too big of a conflict of interest. Too bad as well, we have an old convertable Pontiac that is a good weekend car going.... so what there was a dead body in the trunk, it'll air out
                  "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Comment

Nope. Conflict of interest with our department.
                    John 3:16

Comment

Sometimes we get a forfeiture order and convert vehicles / vessels to Department property for short-term covert use. After that they go to auction and we don't dare get involved in those sales.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8555 users online. 409 members and 8146 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                      X