300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to a fallen LEO's funeral?

I was wondering if it is appropriate for the general public or someone not personally knowing the LEO to pay their respects at his or her funeral? Thank you.
    This is my Glock, there are many like it, but this one is mine

"Anything is possible to he who dares" A.G. Spalding

For six years of my 30, I helped arrange LAPD funerals - including line-of-duty.

These are public events, but be warned, you will need to arrive early and be prepared to stay late at the cemetary. Same for church services, but you will likely not be able to do both.

Once the funeral procession of black and whites arrive, public parking will be at a minimum. You may not get close to the service due to formations of officers.

Follow the directions of officers assigned to parking detail and placement of graveside mourners. Dress appropriately, of course.
    "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Attendance at a funeral is usally out of respect and love for the deceased, so seeing the general public turn out for an officer's service is very touching and appreciated.

I have two personal stories along that line.

The funeral procession for SWAT Officer Simmons passed through my patrol area. The turn out of the general public to view his procession to the cemetery was amazing and brought a tear to my eye (okay I'll be honest I cried).

The other was a funeral for Ofc. Dallies from Garden Grove P.D. My best friend from the Marine Corps was raised in the O.C. He had been stopped by Ofc. Dallies for a minor traffic violation. Ofc. Dallies made such a positive impression on my buddy as a professional cop he asked me if I would take him to the funeral. I was more than happy to help him out. We attended the funeral together, me in my LASD Class A's and my buddy in his Dress Blues.
      Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
      Albert Einstein

Comment

Yes, it's appropriate. It's also fine to wear your uniform WITH mourning badge.
        sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Lots of public turns out for these. As mentioned before just be aware it will be very crowded and lots of things going on

Comment

The more people that attend, just show the appreciation that the public has and it is very much appreciated. The area I work, you can hear motorists yelling "I gotta wait in traffic for this crap!" I have thick skin and can handle a lot, but this makes me want to, well you know, take care of business on a deserving lowlife. If I get the chance, I do get the tag number though, in case we meet again, when I'm calm using the pen is mightier than the sword mentality.
            Work harder! Millions on welfare depend on you...

Comment

The coolest thing I ever saw, was a man and his little boy standi ng on the side of the road as we all drove past, still miles from the cemetery.

They stopped and the man kneeled down and you could see him explaining what what going on and then, they stood still together holding hands and matching John Deer ball caps held over their hearts; from the hearse, until we all had passed by - must have been a full ten minutes.

The perfect respect paid by a non-officer - stayed clear but still managed to be there in their way. Very moving.
              The All New
              BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
              Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
              - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Thanks for the response guys. I've always wanted to pay my respects but didn't want to be there if it wasn't appropriate. Thank you for all the information.
                This is my Glock, there are many like it, but this one is mine

"Anything is possible to he who dares" A.G. Spalding

Comment

I went to the funeral of a Chicago P.D.'s officer after he was murdered in the line of duty. Went in uniform. Chicago P.D. was exceedingly generous to myself and the Sheriff. They made us feel welcome and were very appreciative.
                  Their pipes and drums came down for a funeral to help us out when one of our deputies was murdered in the line of duty.
                  It is very typical for other department personnel to show up to funerals. As Keith noted it will be a long day. A considerable amount of people had to wait outside the church during the services simply because there was not even close to enough room.
                  Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

Please do attend if you feel you want to. In our area the PD and the Fire Dept / EMS always have great turn outs to pay respect for one another.
                    The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

If you would like to attend by all means do. It is an experience which luckily is not seen very often. The support by fellow law enforcement and family is amazing but when the public joins it gives that extra boost of support.

The biggest funeral I attended was amazing and support streamed in from all areas and groups in the metro. The procession had to be 4+ miles long and ran along a tollroad. As we proceeded down the freeway most of the drivers exited their cars and covered their hearts. As did many people on the over passes.

It was very touching and in a way conveyed a stronger message than from an officer's presense. Someone outside of our "family" found it important enough to show that kind of respect... thus the support seemed that much stronger.

Just follow the advice of others as previously posted.
                      sigpic

Comment

Dont be afraid to cry, because you will if it is your first.

Comment

Originally posted by jb5722

if you've never been to one before, be prepared for a similar scene.
                          Just wondering-if all these cops are at the funeral..whose watching the city?
                          and no I'm not kidding, I'm serious.

Comment

Originally posted by 355339 View Post
                            The more people that attend, just show the appreciation that the public has and it is very much appreciated. The area I work, you can hear motorists yelling "I gotta wait in traffic for this crap!" I have thick skin and can handle a lot, but this makes me want to, well you know, take care of business on a deserving lowlife. If I get the chance, I do get the tag number though, in case we meet again, when I'm calm using the pen is mightier than the sword mentality.
                            I feel your pain. When I was in the motorcade for our fallen Sergeant, we'd get so many people honking their horns or trying to cut around the actual motorcade it was ****ing me off to no end. Wait 5 minutes out of your life and let us honor a great man...

Comment

I have been to about 20 police funerals during my career, every one was during my off duty hours on my own time, as were most of the officers in attendance. The patrol car used was always one not in service for the day.
                              Retired LASD

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5719 users online. 396 members and 5323 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X