Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Help, Can I work in law enforcement with a wreckless driving arrest?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help, Can I work in law enforcement with a wreckless driving arrest?

I am interested in pursuing a career in law enforcement. I took the BAT and scored a 91. I took the PAT today and finished at 5 minutes. So, I qualified for the program. However, I received a call from one of the instructors that said there was a problem with my criminal background check. I am a real estate broker and had to pass a criminal FBI background check to get a real estate license. I also had to pass a criminal background check to get my concealed weapons permit. The problem is that I have a wreckless driving arrest from 1996. I pleaded no contest but the judge adjudacated me guilty. The instructor told me to bring him a copy of the disposition. Am I screwed or will things be okay?

Correction: It was Careless driving not wreckless.
    Last edited by JaxFLTrainee; 12-11-2008, 09:59 PM. Reason: Correction: It was Careless driving not wreckless.

Originally posted by JaxFLTrainee View Post
    I am interested in pursuing a career in law enforcement. I took the BAT and scored a 91. I took the PAT today and finished at 5 minutes. So, I qualified for the program. However, I received a call from one of the instructors that said there was a problem with my criminal background check. I am a real estate broker and had to pass a criminal FBI background check to get a real estate license. I also had to pass a criminal background check to get my concealed weapons permit. The problem is that I have a wreckless driving arrest from 1996. I pleaded no contest but the judge adjudacated me guilty. The instructor told me to bring him a copy of the disposition. Am I screwed or will things be okay?

1996? As long as you admitted it on your background (in other words: didn't omit or lie about the charge), then it is not necessarily the kiss-of-death. If that's your only screw-up, you should be OK. Just remember, some smaller departments may take a pass because they can be more selective...

Good luck!
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP BEER!

Comment

As mentioned, if that's the sole 'bump' in the road, you should be fine, especially since it occured so long ago. We all make mistakes; no one is expecting perfection.

Comment

Careless driving is not an arrestable offense in FL, it is a civil infraction. You were arrested for reckless, which is a criminal traffic violation.
        Airborne Cops are closer to God.
        Arms and legs are just extensions of flight controls.

THESE BIG RED LETTERS HELP ME FIND MY POST.

Comment

Is this reckless as in weaving in and out of traffic, speeding, doing donuts? Or wet reckless as in a DUI plea deal? You have a better chance with regular ol' reckless (especially with Jacksonville, great DUI unit and they have an awesome everything-DUI school right there in the city), but either way it won't keep you from getting a job for forever. And like Chopper said, if it was careless driving then it wasn't an arrest it was just a normal moving violation citation, not that big of a deal.

Comment

Originally posted by JaxFLTrainee View Post

I would say yes. Here it's felonies and (I believe) domestic-related offenses that would disqualify you. Your driving record should be as clean as possible, but I was hired with a citation on my record and something that's been there since 2001 (it's still there) that says "prima facie." To this day I still don't know what it means and neither does anyone I've ever asked. Just fess up to it, state how you've learned from it if asked, and move on. Cops are human too. Sometimes we fall down just like everyone else does.

Comment

Only the department/academy to which you applied can answer your question. 1996 is 12 years ago, and if you've had no subsequent citations, you should be OK, but the agency will have to rule on that.

Comment

The problem is that I have a wreckless driving arrest from 1996.
                Sounds like your town has some very tough traffic laws if they arrest people for being crash-free.

Comment

I don't think his charge was "being crash free". I believe he stated it was reckless driving.
                  Airborne Cops are closer to God.
                  Arms and legs are just extensions of flight controls.

THESE BIG RED LETTERS HELP ME FIND MY POST.

Comment

I did....
                    Reckless Operation is what it was called back in Ohhh.. about 97 when I got mine as a Juvy..... Also been suspended twice as a juvy and once as an adult.... that being said I was upfront and honest about my driving record and it is a non issue compared to everything else that is looked at..... one exception might be highway patrol where all they do is traffic..... they would want a cleaner record...
                    "Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good" Romans 12:21

Comment

I believe he stated it was reckless driving.
                      I don't think so. He said he was arrested for not having any wrecks.

The problem is that I have a wreckless driving arrest from 1996.

Comment

Originally posted by On The View Post
                        I don't think so. He said he was arrested for not having any wrecks.
                        LOL, look whose back. I thought your posts were looking familiar.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4714 users online. 329 members and 4385 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X