Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firearms and the Airport

*this message has been deleted*
    Last edited by arandomotaku; 06-24-2009, 12:22 AM.

By checking it - unless the LEO is a fed authorized to carry on an airplane.

Driving should not be a problem.
    I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

HR 218 does not authorize officers to keep their weapon on their person in flight. There are Federal laws that tell how a firearm is to be transported by air. You have to attend special training from the Feds and be on "official duty" in order to carry on the plane. Each airline has their own "procedures" for complying.

Driving is all good.
      NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by GoldBadge View Post
        By checking it - unless the LEO is a fed authorized to carry on an airplane.

Driving should not be a problem.
        You don't have to be a fed to fly armed, you can be a local or state - you just have some additional requirements.

I don't want to get into this any further in a public forum.
        Politically Correct? No.

Truthful? Yes!

Comment

Originally posted by arandomotaku View Post
          how would an officer go about transporting said off duty weapon out of state via aircraft. I'm assuming driving is fine.

In his luggage in a locked container and in compliance with both TSA and the airline's rules for transporting firearms. That's the same as a civilian who's flying with a gun.

Firearm in checked bags:
          http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1666.shtm

Carry on the plane:
          http://www.tsa.gov/lawenforcement/pr...with_guns.shtm
          I miss you, Dave.
          http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Fuquay, a couple of clarifications:
            1. Guns in checked luggage MUST be unloaded, with the ammunition secured in a separate container so bullets cannot contact primers (factory boxes or magazines).
            2. Airports are most definitely NOT all Federal property. Some are owned by cities, others are private. TSA only has enforcement at and beyond the security gates. Some cities forbid guns inside the terminals under local law.
            "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
            John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by Woofdog View Post
              You don't have to be a fed to fly armed, you can be a local or state - you just have some additional requirements.
              Yeah I know. I wasn't trying to take anything away from non-feds, to be honest - it was just a quick off the cuff post.

Also, in my neck of the woods, I just don't see locals flying armed much.
              I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

Some of you may not be aware that TSA has implemented changes regarding state/local LEOs flying armed. This change obviously doesn't affect FLEOs.

On 15 November 2008, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) will begin transition to a National Law Enforcement Telecommunications System (NLETS) message for State and local law enforcement officers (LEOs) flying armed while on official business. The NLETS message will replace the Original Letter of Authority, signed by the Chief or agency head, required under 49 CFR 1544.219. This change is being instituted in order to provide a more secure means of confirming the identity of LEOs, since a letter can be easily counterfeited.

During the period of transition, LEOs may provide either the Original Letter of Authority or the NLETS message. Use of the NLETS message is strongly encouraged as use of the Original Letter of Authority may result in a delay due to the additional verification requirements.

Specific instructions on how to format and submit the NLETS message to the TSA will be provided by the TSA's Office of Law Enforcement/Federal Air Marshal Service to all state and local law enforcement agencies via a special broadcast NLETS message.

The TSA projects that the transition will be completed by 1 March 2009, and thereafter, the use of the NLETS message, in lieu of the letter, will become mandatory.

Comment

So it's the same thing. It's just a teletype instead of a written letter.
                  NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

As far as federal agencies are concerned, it depends. For example, IRS-CI is not allowed to use a lockbox .. the weapon must be on person at all times. Of course, the captain has the right to refuse the agent boarding, but it would'nt look good for the airline when contract renewals came up. If the airline consistently gives agents a hard time they may not get a new contract.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleuth View Post
                      Fuquay, a couple of clarifications:
                      1. Guns in checked luggage MUST be unloaded, with the ammunition secured in a separate container so bullets cannot contact primers (factory boxes or magazines).
                      2. Airports are most definitely NOT all Federal property. Some are owned by cities, others are private. TSA only has enforcement at and beyond the security gates. Some cities forbid guns inside the terminals under local law.
                      Good point. BNA does not allow carry of weapons in the Terminal, regardless if you have a permit or not. LEOs are excluded. Although it is up to the city and/or Airport Authority to decide whether to allow guns in the main Terminal, the recent lawsuit from Georgiacarry may force TSA to step in and expand the federal rule to include the whole Terminal and not just the security checkpoint (and beyond). This is what Atlanta authorities have asked them to do since there is a big legal battle between them and georgiacarry about concealed-carry in their airport. GAcarry says the new GA law regarding carry of firearms in "public transportation" venues includes the airport and supercedes local law. Atlanta said you carry in our airport and you get arrested. GAcarry has filed suit against Atlanta for their threats. I'm keeping a close eye on this one.
                      I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5835 users online. 407 members and 5428 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X