Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Decriminalized' Marijuana Possession (under 1 oz)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Decriminalized' Marijuana Possession (under 1 oz)

I'd like to hear from other cops whose states have decriminalized under an oz of pot. My state recently decriminalized it via a ballot question although it has yet to take effect. Violators will be subject to a $100 citation but not arrest.

Assuming your state has a similar penalty- what do you do if the dirtbag has no ID?
    Last edited by BrickCop; 12-08-2008, 05:38 PM.
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

2 oz or less...... Class 1 Misd.

Nope. Not out in the midwest.
    1*

Comment

In Seattle possession of less than 40 grams (1.4 oz) is not arrestable (except when sold). Seize the drugs, forward a report to the prosecutor and that's it.

If he has no ID, I can take him in for fingerprints, but if that comes back negative, we can't arrest/book, because...

Bing the ultra-liberal enclave that is Seattle, the citizens passed a voter initiative in 2003 that states, "The Seattle Police Department and City Attorney's Office shall make the investigation, arrest and prosecution of marijuana offenses, where the marijuana was intended for adult personal use, the City's lowest law enforcement priority."

Lower than parking tickets, lower than anything.

The initiative, which has the effect of law, also requires

On or before December 31, 2002, the President of the City Council shall appoint an eleven (11) member Marijuana Policy Review Panel to assess and report on the effects of this ordinance. The Panel shall consist of two (2) members of the City Council, two (2) citizen members, one (1) drug abuse prevention counselor, one (1) harm reduction advocate, one (1) representative of the Seattle Police Department, two (2) criminal defense attorneys, one (1) representative of the King County Prosecuting Attorney's Office and one (1) representative of the Seattle City Attorney's Office. The President of the City Council shall appoint members to vacancies on the Marijuana Policy Review Panel as necessary. The Marijuana Policy Review Panel shall:

1. Elect a chairperson and meet at least quarterly or more frequently as necessary;

2. By March 31, 2003, establish reporting criteria for the Seattle Police Department and City Attorney's Office to report marijuana arrests and prosecutions; and

3. Submit a comprehensive written report with recommendations to the City Council that will include, but not be limited to, information concerning the public safety, public administration, public health and fiscal impacts of paragraph A. above. This report shall be completed and presented at the first meeting of the full City Council for calendar year 2006.

C. The Seattle Police Department shall report marijuana arrests and the City Attorney's Office shall report marijuana prosecutions, including those undertaken in Seattle by the King County Prosecutor's Office for arrests made in Seattle, to the Marijuana Policy Review Panel on a semi-annual basis in compliance with the criteria established by the Panel.

D. Upon consideration of the report and recommendations submitted by the Marijuana Policy Review Panel pursuant to subparagraph B.3. above, the City Council may modify, repeal or let stand this ordinance.

Which is why we have this:

"We're not in this business for the money. We're not in it for the excitement, and moments like this. Duty, honor, country, service, truth, and justice are good. But you can do that from behind a desk. In the end, you carry a gun and shield out into the field for the sole purpose of confronting the bad guys. The enemy. There is no other reason to be on the front lines." ~Nelson Demille

If your story involves Peanut Butter and an animal - give up now!
      sigpic

Comment

So am I to understand that pot heads, via their slogan "No victim..no crime", are also advocating for the decriminalization of every other illegal narcotic? I mean, if there's no victim when Peter Pothead grows and smokes marijuana with his friends, there also isn't a victim when Tommy Tweaker whips up a batch of his finest Devil's Diamonds and enjoys its effects with a selct few. Right?

Also, they are saying the mere posession of <40g marijuana isn't a crime, but the sale of that amout is. OK, so how does one come into contact with said marijuana unless they MCS or purchase the controlled substance through sale, which is illegal?

P.S. I'm sorry this is what my generation has to offer.
        Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity

Comment

Dane County, Wisconsin (aka... the Madison area), a neighboring county to me has decriminalized up to 1 ounce of marijuana. If you threw a rock from my jurisdiction, you could hit Dane County, literally. People here get mad when we give them a municipal citation, at minimum, for possession of THC. Maybe they should just stay on the "other side."
          sigpic

Comment

I would like to see the option of writing a summons-in-lieu of arrest for simple possession. Much like they do now with paraphernalia, you can write a summons or make a full custody arrest.

Comment

Originally posted by nadler20 View Post
              So am I to understand that pot heads, via their slogan "No victim..no crime", are also advocating for the decriminalization of every other illegal narcotic? I mean, if there's no victim when Peter Pothead grows and smokes marijuana with his friends, there also isn't a victim when Tommy Tweaker whips up a batch of his finest Devil's Diamonds and enjoys its effects with a selct few. Right?

Also, they are saying the mere posession of <40g marijuana isn't a crime, but the sale of that amout is. OK, so how does one come into contact with said marijuana unless they MCS or purchase the controlled substance through sale, which is illegal?

P.S. I'm sorry this is what my generation has to offer.
              I don't agree with it, but that's how it is. I liked the NYPD version when I was back there. Possession of personal use (don't remember the amount) was a ticket, burning (smoking) it in public was an arrest
              "We're not in this business for the money. We're not in it for the excitement, and moments like this. Duty, honor, country, service, truth, and justice are good. But you can do that from behind a desk. In the end, you carry a gun and shield out into the field for the sole purpose of confronting the bad guys. The enemy. There is no other reason to be on the front lines." ~Nelson Demille

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by L223 View Post
                I would like to see the option of writing a summons-in-lieu of arrest for simple possession. Much like they do now with paraphernalia, you can write a summons or make a full custody arrest.
                I like this one. If they're an AH or repeat offender they can get some jewelry. First offense 14yo w/ only a few grams, discretion comes in to play.
                Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity

Comment

Here in Colorado, less than an ounce of marijuana is a petty offense (not arrestable), so we just issue a summons and cut the person loose. No ID is alright as long as I have a record from dispatch and the descriptors match.

Interestingly, Denver has enacted an ordinance that decriminalizes less than an ounce, and I had a BG that I had obtained a little bit of dope off of that was rather upset that my municipality doesn't follow Denver's footsteps. I told him that if he wanted to be subject to Denver's laws, he should stick around in Denver.

Comment

Wow never realized things were like that in other places (specifically Washington). We can take them to jail for a roach, and if it's above 20g it's a felony.

Comment

Originally posted by nadler20 View Post
                      I like this one. If they're an AH or repeat offender they can get some jewelry. First offense 14yo w/ only a few grams, discretion comes in to play.
                      Couple of things. First, be careful, this is "Ask a Cop" not "Ask an Applicant". Don't wanna get kicked off before you can even give answers I'm sure.

Second, I'm quicker to throw handcuffs on a 14 year old and take their liberties a way for a few hours for the slightest amount than I am for someone in there thirties with a few blunts worth. If they've been through the system then it doesn't matter, but if it's their first time it'll hopefully scare the crap out of them. Teach 'em when they're young. If they know that they're going to be given something about as meaningful as a no bike helmet ticket and in the end they're just have to do a few hours community service, they're just going to keep on carrying.

Comment

Down here in the great county of San Diego, the prosecution ignores the state law that legalizes MJ for medical use, claiming federal law trumps it. So far it's a losing battle, but the fight isn't done yet. The county will probably lose, but hey.... we tried.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/m...99-1m6pot.html

Three people held in raids at marijuana dispensaries

By Pauline Repard and Alexa Capeloto
                        UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITERS

August 6, 2008

SAN DIEGO – Narcotics agents raided four San Diego marijuana dispensaries, made three arrests at the locations and seized about 20 pounds of pot yesterday.

Advertisement Federal authorities said the businesses were not selling the drug within the limits of state Proposition 215, a 1996 initiative legalizing the sale of marijuana by prescription to seriously ill patients.
                        Drug Enforcement Administration and county Narcotics Task Force agents served search warrants at Answerdam on Convoy Court, Plan B Coastal Care Group on Adams Avenue, Chronic Care Providers on Daggett Street and Safe California Access on Murphy Canyon Road. Three men, ages 59, 35 and 26, were arrested at three of the businesses on suspicion of marijuana sales and possession for sale, DEA spokeswoman Eileen Zeidler said.

A home on Marlborough Avenue in City Heights also was searched, and a 30-year-old resident was arrested on suspicion of the same marijuana charges and suspicion of possessing Ecstasy.

Zeidler said marijuana and pot-laced brownies, ice cream, chocolate and fruit bars were seized at the businesses, along with a loaded handgun and thousands of dollars. She said the investigation took several months, and continues, to trace where the pot came from.

Meanwhile, the county Board of Supervisors is continuing its court battle against the state's medical marijuana laws.

The board voted 4-1 yesterday, with Ron Roberts opposing, to ask the state Supreme Court to review its lawsuit challenging the state requirement that counties issue government identification to qualified medical marijuana patients.

The county contends the requirement conflicts with federal drug statutes that categorize marijuana as a dangerous drug with no medical benefits.

A Superior Court judge rejected the county's case in 2006, and an appellate court backed that decision Thursday. The state Supreme Court will be asked to review last week's ruling, said Tom Bunton, senior deputy county counsel.

Comment

Originally posted by Looker View Post
                          Down here in the great county of San Diego...
                          Must be the Stamper influence. Got to love former police chiefs that promote legalization (not decriminalization) of all drugs (he has specifically mentioned MJ, cocaine, heroin, meth, LSD etc)

sigpic

Comment

In North Carolina 1/2oz or less is a Class 3 Misdemeanor, 1/2oz-1 1/2oz. is a Class 1 Misdemeanor, and over 1 1/2oz. is a felony. Have have the option to cite or arrest for either of the misdemeanor level offenses. Most of the time I just cite people for simple possession, but under the right circumstances they take the ride.

Quite frankly, I don't think it would be the end of the world if marijuana were legalized. So long as its illegal I'll continue to charge it, but I've never really understood why its OK in this country to get blotto on beer but not smoke a joint.
                            -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them"-Felix

Comment

It's all still felony in Arizona, doesn't matter the amount. Paraphernalia too, both class 6 felony...although the county attorney can reduce the charge to a misdemeanor for personal use amounts of marijuana, and paraphernalia. Anything other than marijuana, however, is a class 4 felony.
                              Last edited by thirdgod; 12-09-2008, 08:43 PM. Reason: Ninja edit!
                              1*

Ten dash eight!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7149 users online. 393 members and 6756 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X