300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protocol for questioning your Governor

If your mayor or governor was under police suspicion, how would cops execute 'interrogating' him? Would it become a public matter, and be like every other questioning you've done and will do? Or is it more formal because of his political status? I'm sure it's the former, but not a hundred percent. Would a magistrate even okay a search warrant of it were the governor, because doesn't the governor sort of have the power over them? Anyway, thanks in advance.

Originally posted by jb5722
    no political official is immune from prosecution, if you don't believe me, ask former governer Spitzer, although those charges were quashed eventually, I assure you that just because someone is a governor does not mean they get free range to do whatever they want. personally if I was investigating the governor for any crime that could be tied to his office, I would try to bring the FBI in on, so that no matter how hard anyone tried, there could be no ramifications for conducting a thorough investigation.
    Thanks
    I always thought, because celebrities get light sentences, mayors and governors would be, like you said, immune to punishment. Or at least warned and then the department would have the incident get swept under the rug. But what kind of ramifications could there be? If the governor is in the wrong, there's nothing they can do about it, except deal with it. I don't know, I'm basing this off of assumption, obviously.

Comment

Probably the biggest headache facing the investigating law enforcement agency is that their work in the matter will be gone over with a fine tooth comb, not only in court by high priced attorneys for both sides, but by the press and their hundreds of experts (all of whom will give conflicting opinions as to whether the police did a good or bad job). In doing so, the focus falls away from the evidence and instead, the police are put on trial, mainly because it's more entertaining.

There is also the potential for a conflict of interest. For example, let's assume we are looking at a crime committed by the Governor of the State of California while acting in his official capacity. As a matter of law, responsibility for investigating crimes committed against state government or by its officials rests with the California Highway Patrol. But that same law also makes the CHP responsible for protecting the Governor, hence the conflict. This is something that would probably need to be turned over to the FBI if a Federal violation could be made out of it, or the California Department of Justice, because their people answer to the State Attorney General, who is not appointed by the Governor, but elected by the people.

A judge is not going to be subject to the Governor's power in the matter as Superior court judges are elected by the people and not subject to removal by the Governor.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Let the Feds handle it. Was it the Governor that was just popped by FBI in AL? or was that a Mayor?
        I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

haha unless the governer is sarah palin, then you wouldnt be able to get an interview for 5 months.

Comment

Ironically on CNN.com: "A law enforcement official says Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich is in federal custody on corruption charges."

Comment

Way too many times a politician gets themselves arrested. They go to jail just like Issouff Soukounna the crackhead did.
              The difference is while Soukounna is having sex in State Prison for dealing his crack .He will be eligible for parole in say 5 years.
              The politician is in a minimum security FEDERAL PRISON with no bars or fences. They know that if they step over the demarcation line they get shipped somewhere not so nice.
              The politician is also up for parole in 5 years or so. He was convicted of stealing money from the public or selling his/her office.
              So yes the politician will do jail time but will have more resources to fight the charges .

Comment

Ironically, and almost as if to answer your question, the Governor of Illinois was arrested today. The arrest was made by the FBI, and involves a myriad of Federal violations. Perhaps the most serious allegation is the alleged "sale" of President Elect Obama's U.S. Senate seat. Be willing to bet the FBI will have no problem questioning the Governor.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3647 users online. 180 members and 3467 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X