300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire Fighters and EMTs

I have a question regarding FF's (Fire Fighter's) and emt's responding to the station,fire's, crashes and etc.. in a pov. My question is, how strictly do you enforce the laws that permit how they can respond.

Ex: they are only allowed one beacon but they have more then one beacon or light, there not allowed to use sirens but they do, there not allowed to proceed through a red light, etc...

Thanks.....
    Semper Paratus/Always Ready
    Originally posted by jakflak
    The bottom line: always be nice to the magic voice. All hail the magic voice!!
    Originally posted by Michigan
    I have a 1 year old daughter and at this rate I'm almost certain I'm going to end up in prison by the time she's 15 years old. I swear, the first guy that that comes knocking on my door holding onto a naked photo of my daughter.....

Don't bother telling me, "oh it's her fault too".... I know, I have double standards. Deal with it.

: )

Obviously this will be different for everyone.... but....
    I can't stand the volunteers flying through town at 101 mph with their one little light I can't see and their horn beeping
    I've almost been t-boned twice by them
    That being said I would not stop and cite them but I will/have said something to my/their supervisor....
    and my Radar will probably be on if they are coming towards me.
    "Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good" Romans 12:21

Comment

Depends on what the law states, if they are permitted to do so and they are showing due regard for the law then let them be. Just like me running code as long as I am fallowing the law not an issue.
      It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

State law says they must be equped with a light and siren and operate with due care, just like any other emergency vehicle. Failure to do so is a big liability issue for whoever they work for.

Comment

Depends on state law.....that being said, we dont usually deal with any except city or county fire out here (and there is no way in HELL that I going to stop, never mind cite one of the hosedraggers here).....no volunteers here in the LA area that I am aware of, and none 'rolling code' in their personal vehicles.....
          The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

If they're driving like idiots I'll pull them over. If they appear to drive with a due regard for the safety of themselves and others then so be it. Drive on. If they are driving what may be on the fence of become reckless then (only done this once) flashing my blue lights at their red lights caused a modification in behavior. Here EMTs certified by the AR Dept. of Health and firefighters as well as members of search and rescue teams may operate a red light upon their dash when responding to emergencies. Each of those three can also get a specific license plate detailing such. The statute doesn't currently mention sirens, or lights anywhere else on the vehicle. However, I was on a -more professional volunteer fire department ?- for six years, and nearly every one there had an array of hidden strobes and LEDs, as well as sirens and radios, that would make many officers drool. Technically that doesn't fall within the traffic code, but it was seen far and wide across the county. I never got into all of that, however, after five years on I did get a radio installed in my vehicle. I still have it now, and it's actually come in handy a few different times. It's illegal to possess blue lights, with the exception of certified officers, coroners (idk why), and emergeny management, so...yeah, that'd be a stop, seizure of lights if easily removable (or towed), and depending on the person a physical arrest or cite and release. I've never encountered that though. Some clear strobes can appear blue in color.

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
              Depends on state law.....that being said, we dont usually deal with any except city or county fire out here (and there is no way in HELL that I going to stop, never mind cite one of the hosedraggers here).....no volunteers here in the LA area that I am aware of, and none 'rolling code' in their personal vehicles.....
              La Habra Heights FD is a volunteer department with a couple of full timers. I don't know of any others in LA County.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue One View Post
                La Habra Heights FD is a volunteer department with a couple of full timers. I don't know of any others in LA County.
                And isnt that one of the areas that burned down a few weeks ago in the latest firestorms?......
                The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

I feel differently. We have alot of "volunteer" FF's here. When there's a fire call, even a alarm you'll have every 18 y/o volunteer run "code" with a red light and emergency flashers on. I've caught several going faster than I would through town and I've almost been hit also. I will however, call the fire chief and let him give a stern warning first, next time I'll follow them to the scene and write the **** outta them.

I had a Vol. FF from a different state I stopped for speeding. As soon as I made it to his window he said "why don't you show me some professional courtesy and write me a warning". I said "cause i'm not a fireman". Kinda ****ed me off

Comment

We had a volunteer agency many years ago that was known for driving like madmen to minor calls. Our Sheriff had a chat with their Chief and He (the chief) ended up taking their blue lights away for six months...after that, no problems..
                    "I am... reminded of something Cardinal Wolsey once told me. That I should only ever tell the king what he ought to do, not what he could do; for if the lion knows his own strength, no man could control him". Sir Thomas More

Comment

Originally posted by -A- View Post
                      I have a question regarding FF's (Fire Fighter's) and emt's responding to the station,fire's, crashes and etc.. in a pov. My question is, how strictly do you enforce the laws that permit how they can respond.
                      As others have stated, it depends on the laws in the state. If I see one driving like an idiot, I may pull them or I may contact that person's chief and explain what the situation. Since fire chiefs here can be held personally liable for negligent actions of his firemen, most of the time they handle it.....quickly and thoroughly. Which option I take depends on the level of idiocy being displayed and the conditions present.

As a 20+ year fireman myself, I have a better than average idea of what type of response is dictated by a call, so I can tell when one is getting out of line.

Originally posted by -A- View Post
                      Ex: they are only allowed one beacon but they have more then one beacon or light, there not allowed to use sirens but they do, there not allowed to proceed through a red light, etc...
                      FYI, most of the time they're encouraged to have more lights and use a siren, in fact, here it's required by law. Generally speaking, from a safety standpoint, you WANT to be seen and heard while responding, or so the current thinking is.
                      “We don't disagree, you are wrong. Until you have a clue what you are talking about we can't disagree.” - cgh6366

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5170 users online. 361 members and 4809 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X