300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domestic violence

If you are convicted of domestic violence in North Carolina can you still purchase handguns?

Originally posted by G22LMTM4 View Post
    If you are convicted of domestic violence in North Carolina can you still purchase handguns?
    You should seek the advice of an attorney in this matter..

But for your entertainment he following link may be important, especially page 6 (referred to as the Lautenburg Ammendment)

Comment

Very generally, if you're convicted of Domestic Violence anywhere, you're prohibited from purchasing, possessing, owning a firearm or ammunition. The prohibition is a matter of Federal Law.

Comment

i bought a handgun today and had to fill out paper work and on a list of questions it had have you ever been convicted of a misdemeanor for domestic violence, if you answered yes you weren't allowed to buy a gun, im in ky tho

Comment

Originally posted by gixxerjoe04 View Post
          i bought a handgun today and had to fill out paper work and on a list of questions it had have you ever been convicted of a misdemeanor for domestic violence, if you answered yes you weren't allowed to buy a gun, im in ky tho
          Makes no difference. Had you been convicted of a Domestic Violence crime, you 'd be prohibited from purchasing a firearm. The Lautenburg Ammendment is Federal legislation, and is applicable in all fifty states.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
            Makes no difference. Had you been convicted of a Domestic Violence crime, you 'd be prohibited from purchasing a firearm. The Lautenburg Ammendment is Federal legislation, and is applicable in all fifty states.
            That is what I thought.11 years ago I was arrested for Domestic Violence and spent 48 hours in jail.After I got out of jail and went back to court my ex-wife had a restraining order placed against me for a year.During this time I wasn't allowed to have my guns or buy any more.After the year was up I got to get my guns back.Since then I have purchased 2 shotguns,2 rifles,and 3 handguns.The point is I have wanted to be in law enforcment for the past few years.Now,after posting on the "Ask a Cop" forum awhile back I was told that if I was convicted I couldn't be an Officer.I went to the Court House and the lady said that she thought I had been convicted.I have never been in any trouble with the law in any way before this or after this.I really want to be a Police Officer.If I was convicted I would like to know what I can do to have all this changed?If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be very greatful.Thank You all very much for your time.

Comment

Were you or were you not convicted of the domestic assault?
              sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

That is what I thought.11 years ago I was arrested for Domestic Violence and spent 48 hours in jail.After I got out of jail and went back to court my ex-wife had a restraining order placed against me for a year.During this time I wasn't allowed to have my guns or buy any more.After the year was up I got to get my guns back.Since then I have purchased 2 shotguns,2 rifles,and 3 handguns.The point is I have wanted to be in law enforcment for the past few years.Now,after posting on the "Ask a Cop" forum awhile back I was told that if I was convicted I couldn't be an Officer.I went to the Court House and the lady said that she thought I had been convicted.I have never been in any trouble with the law in any way before this or after this.I really want to be a Police Officer.If I was convicted I would like to know what I can do to have all this changed?If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be very greatful.Thank You all very much for your time.
                Bottom line is this if you were CONVICTED of DV(any crime against a current or former lover or even family) you have 0 chance of getting hired in LE. You wont be able to have a firearm as this will be ILLEGAL for you. Plus it paints a negative picture of you as being out of control. You would be perceived as a liability to any agency in LE.

Comment

Being arrested is not a conviction. I know it was 11 years ago but you should remember a court date with testimony before a judge. If that didnt happen your wife/GF did not followthrough with the case or some other circumstance. That would explain why you are still able to buy guns.

Comment

The arrest, combined with a temporary restraining order, are likely the nails in the coffin for a career in LE. You can look into it, based on the issue of whether you were convicted or not, but I doubt it.
                    Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
                      Were you or were you not convicted of the domestic assault?
                      That is what I would like to know.The Lady I spoke to at the court house didn't act like she really knew either.

Comment

That is what I would like to know.The Lady I spoke to at the court house didn't act like she really knew either.
                        You need to have a criminal background check run on you......that will show whether it was a conviction, or just an arrest......

Your local PD MIGHT be able to do it, otherwise you will have to pay a private company to do it for you......
                        The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by bywayofbrooklyn View Post
                          Being arrested is not a conviction. I know it was 11 years ago but you should remember a court date with testimony before a judge. If that didnt happen your wife/GF did not followthrough with the case or some other circumstance. That would explain why you are still able to buy guns.
                          I remember going to court before a judge.I do not remember being convicted.I was told by my attorney that I couldn't have my guns for 1 year.After that year was up I recieved a letter saying I could have my guns back and I have had them ever since.I have even been to the Sheriffs office 3 times and gotten permits to buy 3 different handguns?????

Comment

Federal Laws Prohibit It.
                            Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

Originally posted by stormz5192 View Post
                              Federal Laws Prohibit It.
                              When the law first came out, there was a Dallas PD who had 15-20 yrs of service. The officer had been convicted of Assault By Contact-Family Violence against his teenage son(same a traffic ticket) several yrs prior to the law be enacted. He just paid the ticket to be done with it. Well, when the law was enacted the officer was stripped of his gun and placed in the jail until he retired.
                              Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3863 users online. 169 members and 3694 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X