300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• k9.swat

Hi, I am looking to be a k9 cop when I'm older but have a couple questions. 1 Are you allowed to pick your own dog and go get training with it or does your department supply you with one.2 Can you be a patrol cop, in the swat and be a k9 officer. I know out here in IL. You can be a Patrol cop and in the swat you just carry your swat gear in the car with you if you were on duty and got called you could go from there. 3 and lastly I know most patrol dog types are German Sheppard's but could you have a lab be one? If you say they "Don't have the Drive" What if you were to get a mix between the two?

Thanks!!!!

1st) Depends. If you're experienced (on your 2nd or more police dog), hopefully your department will let you pick your dog. If it's your first dog, someone more experienced will pick it for you.

2) Most K9 units are under patrol division (unless you're in a specialty K9 like a drug only dog in a drug unit). You work with uniformed patrol and often go to calls where K9 is not needed, but you're not really out there taking domestic reports. You could be full time K9 and on a part time SWAT team I'm sure... but the training between the two wouldn't leave a whole lot of time for work

3) There are all kinds K9s (labs make good drug dogs it seems), but most patrol dogs are GDS or mallanios (yes I know I didn't get that spelling right).

Comment

At our agency, all K-9 handlers work patrol, and two of them are on SWAT as handlers.
      Airborne Cops are closer to God.
      Arms and legs are just extensions of flight controls.

THESE BIG RED LETTERS HELP ME FIND MY POST.

Comment

Finish high school first, go to college, then try to become the best police officer that you can be. Having goals like K9 or SWAT is fine, but you gotta want to be a good street cop first and foremost.
        The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

All depends on the department. NYPD's K9 unit is one of the most difficult units in the department to get into...everyone wants to do it, and on top of that, the testing standards are pretty high and weed out quite a few people. You need experience on patrol and a good record. I hear you need a hook or a crane to get in, too...

As for being K9 and SWAT, no good in the NYPD. ESU is a separate unit (we don't really have SWAT, per se), and you can't be in both at once here. Like everything else that's not patrol, both units are designed to support patrol.
          Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

"You've got to be good in this business, but you've got to get a lot of breaks. If you don't realize that, if you really think you're sitting here because of your genius or anything, I don't know, maybe your background is different, but I got my butt kicked a lot at every level, including this one."

- Stan Van Gundy

Comment

Thanks for all the responds

Comment

In Phx the K9 units are actually an SAU (SWAT) squad in the ladder of organization, so here you'd be doing tactical work too. The "fly in the ointment" is that there are too few of them here, and like other big PDs it's hard to get into.
              Few agencies use mixed breeds anymore as they can be too unpredictable. Also, unless it's a VERY small Dept, you'll be assigned a dog & monitored during your training as to the compatibility between you and the dog --- if it's not a good "fit" you may get another one or(worse case scenario) get bounced from the unit.

Comment

Originally posted by bigpike15 View Post
                Hi, I am looking to be a k9 cop when I'm older but have a couple questions. 1 Are you allowed to pick your own dog and go get training with it or does your department supply you with one.2 Can you be a patrol cop, in the swat and be a k9 officer. I know out here in IL. You can be a Patrol cop and in the swat you just carry your swat gear in the car with you if you were on duty and got called you could go from there. 3 and lastly I know most patrol dog types are German Sheppard's but could you have a lab be one? If you say they "Don't have the Drive" What if you were to get a mix between the two?

Thanks!!!!

I am on the SWAT, I am K9 and I patrol as well

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4856 users online. 294 members and 4562 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X