300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another question...

So having a college degree is really all that matters, right? That's what a police dept. wants to see? The reason I'm asking this is because what I'm looking into is something not related to police or probably not beneficial to the type of work (like a sociology, business, psychology, etc degree would be). I'm going to study Sports Administration and I was just wondering if that would be harmful to my chances of getting hired somewhere (b/c of what I've decided to study. Sports is something I particularly enjoy and the degree interests me) Thanks.

I would never recommend a BS in Criminal justice. That way if youmhave a degree in something else if the LE thing doesn't work out for you you have a fallback plan.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Part of having a degree is the self discipline used to obtain it. This is the experience the departments are looking for, so the actual type of degree may not be as important as you think. Are there degrees departments would like to see? Probably, but any degree will help vs. nothing. Productive time in the military will also be a leg up and will often negate the need for a degree. Other than those two things however and you will suffer an uphill battle getting hired.
      Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
      Albert Einstein

Comment

We had folks with all kinds of degrees: English Lit, Animal Husbandry, Industrial Management (me), Accounting, Art Appreciation, etc. Some had worked in the field, others, like me, when straight into Law Enforcement.
        "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
        John Stuart Mill

Comment

Sports Admin is not a problem at all.

Comment

Sports Administration is a recognized degree. Of, and by itself, it won't get you hired with an LE agency, but it won't hurt either.

Comment

Originally posted by Monkeybomb View Post
              I would never recommend a BS in Criminal justice. That way if youmhave a degree in something else if the LE thing doesn't work out for you you have a fallback plan.
              x2

My PD doesn't really care what you have a degree in. It's basically just a plus on you app if you have one b/c it shows that you have the dedication to accomplish something worthwhile. It's kinda the same with your previous job history. If you have 10-12 jobs over a period of 4 years, they won't be jumping up and down to hire you. However if you had a job at Chucky Cheese for 5-6 years dishing out pizza, it would indicate that you will be more likely to stick w/ the job and they will be more likely to invest the time and effort into training you.

Comment

You could get a degree in Basket weaving and most agencies would still snatch you up.
                Conduct every traffic stop extending the olive branch of peace; while having a tactical plan to kill everyone inside the vehicle. - Gordon Graham

Comment

Around here it seems like most departments are about 15-20% short of officer/deputies, so if you have a bachelors degree at all you are pretty much a shoe-in.

Comment

I would recommend a degree that CAN be used in law enforcement but isn't necessarily LE related.

For example, a business degree...A business degree will teach you about management techniques, accounting and finance, organization structure, human resource skills, marketing goals, economics....and so on. This is all something that can be used in LE...perhaps not right out of the academy but as you progress in your career and make your way up to supervisory positions or admin positions.

Comment

Ah, but you never know what will be useful.
                      Example: We had a guy with a degree in Animal Husbandry. He found some folks fraudulently bringing prize bull semen into the country (don't laugh, it's worth more per ounce than Heroin). He put numerous folks in Federal Prison, because of his specialized knowledge in that field - and got a major promotion!
                      "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                      John Stuart Mill

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4046 users online. 240 members and 3806 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X