300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASP in the green zone?

I came across a forum where a officer talked about not carrying his baton and who else did the same. The convo turned into how it is helpful and the ways to you it. Also they talked about the green zone and what area you should attempt not to aim for.

So I looked up ASP batons and watched a couple training videos, I also came across the one on youtube about the NYPD. In the video the cop appears to aim for the knees. Many will say he should have followed the orders and he what he deserve. In a fight you cant help where u hit, but I wanna know was this acceptable from THIS cop.
    (I am not critizing the police officer, I just wanted to see what the LEO from the forum thought.)

Last edited by Jaylen23; 11-01-2008, 11:17 AM.

He wasn't compliant.
    The A/o used his impact weapon to obtain compliance since he couldn't obtain voluntary compliance.

The A/o Hit all the green and yellow areas and stopped once the perp was handcuffed. looks good to me.
    "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

I was disappointed that one cop tossed the baton on the sidewalk, then the other cop grabbed it and eventually lost his grip sending the baton into the street.

Anything besides that, you need to ask NYPD if that is within their policy. THEY are the ones that have to defend it, not police in general.

Policies vary from one jurisdiction to the next. American can't even agree more than 75% on who we want as President. There's no WAY the country could agree on how every police department should handle things the same way.
      NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Im a veteran Police Officer and ASP Instructor as well. As for the video, typical response by bystanders in a ghetto. Instead of helping the officers they talk about "take dey picture of day laygaz" and stand around video taping trying to find another way to receive another check when they file their lawsuits for excessive force regardless if it applies or not. As to the strikes. There is no "green" "red" or "yellow" target area's with the ASP baton. That terminology applies with the PR24 Baton. With the ASP it's center mass, arm, leg and body both open and close modes. This specific video shows a subject who refuses to do as he is told namely roll over on his front and keep hands behind your back" so he can be cuffed, so yeah the Officers did fine. The only thing I would offer to the officer is to keep a better grip on the baton and instead of multiple half strength strikes, offer one at a time as hard as you can giving commands after each strike to comply. Other than that, it looked fine to me. You have to remember the nature of this job and any time a man has to strike another man with any baton it doesn't look pretty. Thats why I love the tazer.
        "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

THAT'S what I forgot to put in there. The whole "Green/Yellow/Red" thing is solely a Monadnock training idea. I, too, would've like to have seen at least one full-force swing. It's possible it may have prevented the multiple strikes. Also, the suspect had his knees pulled in towards his stomach (well, as much as he could - his gut was in the way.) His shins, unfortunately were taking the brunt of the strikes as a result of his noncompliance.

Also, I like the Hindi cap on my ASP. I NEVER lose my grip and can draw it lickety-split!

And, yeah. Using the baton is never pretty.
          NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Batons are for knocking on doors and breaking windows. Alittler edison medicine (Taser) would have brought that situation to amuch faster and less ugly conclusion.

People always freak out when we use the baton. Just beacsue we call it pretty things like "Batons" or "PR-24" or"ASP".....its a tool dating back to cave man days. Its a stick that we use to beat people into submission via pain complaince. Its ugly, it hurts, and it is what it is unfourtuantly.
            The greatest misconception in police work that gets more officers killed is alot of cops are still taught to use the "minimum force necessary". In reality a true professional will always resort to the "Maximum Allowable Force" to resolve a situation. They mean the same thing, however one is a restriction and the other is an empowerment.

Comment

Depends on your force policy. I couldn't use my baton/taser unless the person shows assaultive behavior. OC could have worked. Pain compliance could have worked also. The guy was resisting but the officers didn't really seem like they were trying.

Force options are different in different departments and different parts of the country.

Comment

This is why when the officer says you are under arrest and to do something, you do it. No showing off for the crowd how bad *** you are.

As for the use of a taser, those that oppose it should watch videos like this. The opponents would rather see somebody whacked into compliance instead of a zap and it be over with.

Comment

I've never used my baton on a person. OC and Taser are better options, IMHO. That said, our general orders say they are interchangeable and if you can use one, you can use the other.
                  I miss you, Dave.
                  http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
                    I've never used my baton on a person. OC and Taser are better options, IMHO. That said, our general orders say they are interchangeable and if you can use one, you can use the other.

We don't get tasers, only the sgt and above do. I guess they're afraid that we'll walk around shocking each other and all the innocent people.
                    "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2955 users online. 120 members and 2835 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X