300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• military in the police force

im currently in the national guard and have been to iraq once how are my chances of getting into a local police force and will the possibility of going back to iraq hinder my chances of getting into a police department.

Your chances depend on a lot of things, military background is just one of them, so start testing. A police department cannot disqualify you based on your NG membership.

Comment

Just came across this YESTERDAY at work as a matter of fact. Everyone was bitching about some of our guys that we hardly ever have at work due to Military requirements. Now I'm sympathetic, because, I spent 12yrs in the military, 4 Marine Corps infantry, and 8 in the Army's 82nd Airborne Div (infantry) I also have mulitle deployments to Iraq and AStan. However, depts may not outrightly admit it mostly because they can't, but you will hear "chatter" around among all ranks about, oh, where is Joe Smuckatelly? What back on active duty? $hit, you just can never count on those guys to be here. They never get specialized assignments because they will most likely have to leave. It went so far as a senior patrolman venting allowed, saying man, they need to stop hiring those damn people in the Military, either they join the military or they join the Police Dept. My LT said, yeah, but you know they can't do that. The Senior guys said, yea, I know but if they have other applicants they need to look hard at those other applicants. Now this guy has no say in the hiring process, however, it does reflect a growing frustration with no being able to count on our NG and reserve guys to be here, they seem to leave and get called up on short notice. Then they are gone for a long time, we just had a few get called up for 15 months, not counting their train up time before deployment. 2 guys were new, and just got on the streets by themselves, they were basically still in training, but in the "individual training" part I like to call it, they are just barely learning how to talk on the radio and they're gone. I'm all about serving your country, but I can see the growing frustration, and we can't hire anyone to replace them.
      Ignored: Towncop, Pulicords, TacoMac, Ten08

Comment

Military can be a plus, but as mentioned doesn't ensure anything.

I have zero problems with guys going active and getting deployed. We have several guys who have deployed multiple times. If we run short, so be it. They are doing a tough job over there, so we can do what we do over here. Their job will be waiting and I will have nothing but thanks and good will towards them when they come back. I would personally be offended by hearing another officer bitch that they are running short because guys are deployed.

Just my feelings on the matter.
        The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

Personally.. any supervisor who makes comments like that should be ashamed of themselves. The men and women doing that are serving their country and going far away to do something that obviously that supervisor doesn't have the courage to do himself. Most of the soldiers deployed don't want to leave their families, houses, and jobs.. but they do it and make that sacrifice and many times the ultimate sacrifice as well. I'm not naive, I know there are many police departments as well as civilian sector jobs that do that, but it really makes me sick...

Comment

Originally posted by creolecop View Post
            Just came across this YESTERDAY at work as a matter of fact. Everyone was bitching about some of our guys that we hardly ever have at work due to Military requirements. Now I'm sympathetic, because, I spent 12yrs in the military, 4 Marine Corps infantry, and 8 in the Army's 82nd Airborne Div (infantry) I also have mulitle deployments to Iraq and AStan. However, depts may not outrightly admit it mostly because they can't, but you will hear "chatter" around among all ranks about, oh, where is Joe Smuckatelly? What back on active duty? $hit, you just can never count on those guys to be here. They never get specialized assignments because they will most likely have to leave. It went so far as a senior patrolman venting allowed, saying man, they need to stop hiring those damn people in the Military, either they join the military or they join the Police Dept. My LT said, yeah, but you know they can't do that. The Senior guys said, yea, I know but if they have other applicants they need to look hard at those other applicants. Now this guy has no say in the hiring process, however, it does reflect a growing frustration with no being able to count on our NG and reserve guys to be here, they seem to leave and get called up on short notice. Then they are gone for a long time, we just had a few get called up for 15 months, not counting their train up time before deployment. 2 guys were new, and just got on the streets by themselves, they were basically still in training, but in the "individual training" part I like to call it, they are just barely learning how to talk on the radio and they're gone. I'm all about serving your country, but I can see the growing frustration, and we can't hire anyone to replace them.
            we know its hard on the other people that we leave behind in the job place especially officers, ive got a couple of friends that left for iraq just finishing training and getting hired onto a good department i cant imagine how it feels to the other people working in those police departments but i know how it is on the soldiers its like one big halt on your life and i cant imagine how it will be trying to integrate into police work after going through combat training and actual combat. both soldiers and polcie officers have a hard job and leaving just as we are getting to know a job is one of the most frustrating and difficult things a human being can go through

Comment

to do something that obviously that supervisor doesn't have the courage to do himself posted by MPSoldier84
              Before you go calling someone a coward, you ought to check out his credentials. The military goes to war for 12 months at a time. A LEO straps on his batman utility belt every day and goes to war. And if you think for one minute it isn't a war out there, you're kidding yourself. I served 20 years in the Army, during that time I went to war twice. I go to war every day I strap on my gun.

but it really makes me sick
              You know what makes me sick, people that get pulled over for traffic violations that say, oh I'm sorry, I just got back from Iraq defending your freedom so won't you give me a break. My response is --I'm out there every day defending your freedom, so no I won't give you a break.

Comment

They like military experience and it is illegal for them to hold it against you if you are called in to serve your country. We've had a couple of guys go through the same thing and when they returned theyre job was waiting for them.

Comment

Originally posted by blackhorse View Post
                  Before you go calling someone a coward, you ought to check out his credentials. The military goes to war for 12 months at a time. A LEO straps on his batman utility belt every day and goes to war. And if you think for one minute it isn't a war out there, you're kidding yourself. I served 20 years in the Army, during that time I went to war twice. I go to war every day I strap on my gun.

You know what makes me sick, people that get pulled over for traffic violations that say, oh I'm sorry, I just got back from Iraq defending your freedom so won't you give me a break. My response is --I'm out there every day defending your freedom, so no I won't give you a break.
                  I'm an LEO with the VA.. I don't disagree with you and veterans using their time in the service as a excuse, in fact I agree with you 100% My comment was for people criticizing officers getting DEPLOYED... Now if your not one of them, don't get offended. If you are one of them, I'm not gonna lose any sleep.

Comment

I am a police recruiter. I spend a large amount of my time recruiting separating service members and members of the reserve and National Guard. Former military service members are a large part of any law enforcement agency.

The U.S. Census Bureau reports that 10.4% of the U.S. population has military service. The number is actually lower for the prime hiring demographic as the heavy draft years population passes. Almost 70% of the WWII generation has military service.

As a recruiter my theory is that the personality of a person which will lead to military service will also tend to make that person interested in law enforcement. I have also noticed the spouse of a LEO will very often be involved in a public service type profession. The spouse of a LEO often is a teacher or nurse.

This Department is the neighbor of a major Army installation, Fort Bragg. Fort Bragg is the home of the 82nd Airborne Division. The 82nd Airborne Division is called “Americas Guard of Honor”. This Department is proud to serve and protect America’s Guard of Honor.

If one was to look at their agency, then subtract the LEO that has had military service. My bet would you be that your ranks would be thin.

*Most agencies understand the value of military service; due to my location I have LE agencies advertising on our local radio stations, I have another recruiter in my city almost weekly. Go to a job fair at Fort Bragg or Camp Lejuene…. You can’t swing a dead cat at a military job fair without hitting a police recruiter.

Rizak: If you have any interest in leaving the NC Mountains for the flatland, we are hiring.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6220 users online. 351 members and 5869 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X