Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Are So Many K-9 Dogs Abused By Their Handlers?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ChopperCopper
    replied
    Why do ALL non-leos make sweeping generalizations based on one incident?

Leave a comment:

• Night_Cop
    replied
    Everyone ever notice how Ford does a lousy job buying tires for their vehicles. I saw a news report and VIDEO of the tires on a Ford blowing out while driving. I would burn my tires in a fire before I would let them be put on a Ford!

Leave a comment:

• sap123
    replied
    EDIT: Nevermind.

Leave a comment:

• Mabbottusmc
    replied
    Dogs are tools. They need to know who their pack leader is. Just like it is in nature. They need to know who is in charge. They take orders from one person and that one person only, their handler. Anyone else they look at as being lower on the food chain then they are.

I know a few handlers. They are able to let their family play with their dog. The dog most often will not listen to the family members when told to come or sit. They listen to the leader, the handler.

It's not abuse, it's reinforcing the dogs place in a pack. Police dogs are great tools. They are often not the smartest items in the world but most will work their tails off for you and do a great job at doing it.

Leave a comment:

• basspro
    replied
    Way to go newbie. Post somthing up and **** everyone off!!!

Leave a comment:

• nuthead
    replied

There went another 1 minute of my life.....

Leave a comment:

• candidateyellow
    replied
    anyone ever notice how many people out there are complaining about k9 handlers abusing their dogs?

Oh wait, look at that. I just took an isolated case and made it seem like an everyday occurance...wow, aint that something?

Leave a comment:

• StudChris
    replied
    Originally posted by wu2008 View Post
    This didn't last too long. The handler picked the dog up and body-slammed him on the ground on his back. This could easily be mistaken for 'abuse' when in reality, it was just a wake-up call by the handler because the dog was not doing what he was trained to do.
    Actually all dogs should have that as a training method. It's what pack dogs do to each other when someone is acting out of order. The good ole dog whisperer on whatever channel he is on does it all the time (he probably does it a lot more gentle on tv than he does it off camera).

But anyway back to the original poster, you have no clue what you're talking about. Yes, if a cop starves his k9 to death he should be criminally charged (and I believe he was in your case). But as someone else said it's an isolated incident. If you want to take on a problem in Miami take on a dog fighting problem.

And I don't know a single handler who's dog isn't family.

Leave a comment:

• j706
    replied
    Originally posted by Looker View Post
    Yea-tree hugger-yuppie and I can think of some more names also. Maybe they will go AWAY !!!

Leave a comment:

• wu2008
    replied
    What one may term as 'abuse' for a house pet is a far cry from abuse for a working K-9. Don't forget that the dogs and handlers go through weeks and weeks of training (10 weeks around here) together, putting them in a variety of situations. K-9s are bred as high-drive, aggressive, alpha, working dogs. The handler has to sometimes re-assert himself as the alpha. Sometimes, this is done through physical means.

I remember when I was in my training phase and we had one of our K-9s out tracking in a field/wooded area. The dog was obviously not doing what it was supposed to as he continually stopped to eat leaves and grass. This didn't last too long. The handler picked the dog up and body-slammed him on the ground on his back. This could easily be mistaken for 'abuse' when in reality, it was just a wake-up call by the handler because the dog was not doing what he was trained to do. In fact, the look on the dog's face seemed like he was saying "hey, I was eating before you interrupted me!"

*I'm not a K-9 handler. My info. comes from what I've learned through speaking with the K-9 handlers at my dept.

Leave a comment:

• Surf
    replied
    Originally posted by FORD4LIFE View Post
    I could only imagine what goes on on a daily basis. I would put my dog to
    sleep before I would let it be a police dog.

I am sure there are some good handlers out there somewhere. But they are few and far between.
    Your an idiot.

Leave a comment:

• Landric
    replied
    Yeah, what everyone above said. Plus, the OP seems to be under the mistaken impression that Police K9s are "pets", they are not. They are working animals, and while that does not justify their "abuse" it does mean that they are expected to do things that we would not ask of our "pets".

Leave a comment:

• L-1
    replied
    Originally posted by FORD4LIFE View Post

Why Are So Many K-9 Dogs Abused By Their Handlers?

I could only imagine what goes on on a daily basis. I would put my dog to
    sleep before I would let it be a police dog.

I am sure there are some good handlers out there somewhere. But they are few and far between.
    I didn't realize this was such a wide spread and systematic problem. Just out of curiosity, can you tell me how many K9s there are in US and Canadian police service and of them, how many have been abused ? The numbers don't have to be exact - rough figures will do. Also, could you please include an authoritative source for these figures? Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• SgtScott31
    replied
    Here is one of the few threads where someone has absolutely no idea what they are talking about. Bravo

Leave a comment:

• mooseyard
    replied
    I would have thought that if PETA was going to send a troll, they would have at least found one that could spell.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4384 users online. 171 members and 4213 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X