Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Are So Many K-9 Dogs Abused By Their Handlers?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Are So Many K-9 Dogs Abused By Their Handlers?

For the past year I've been hearing allot of K-9 dogs getting abused. As a pet lover I find this totally disgusting.

In North Carolina a dog was being abused by its handler. As I recall the dog was hanging in the air on a leash. If it wasn't for the vedio the abuse of that dog would still be going on today. I believe after that vedio was shown the K-9 program was dropped. In Miami a dog was starved to death by its handler. After the autopsy was performed and showed the dog had no food or water for weeks the handler still denied any wrong doing. What was even worse allot of the cops stuck up for this handler. There was also a number of dogs who were left in their handlers car with no A/C for extended periods who died in the summer heat.

If a private citizen did any of these things charges would have been filed. As far I know no charges were filed against any of the handlers.

You always hear how the dog is part of the handlers family.If that were true like so many people believe that would be nice.

Back in July in Miami jungle heat a handlers dog got out of his backyard and went missing for a day or too. I was actually hopping they wouldn't find the dog and maybe the dog would find a better home. The handler said the dog was like family. Yeah right. If that was true why was the dog kept in the backyard in jungle bug infested humid heat while the handler slept like a baby in a nice cool air conditioned house.

I could only imagine what goes on on a daily basis. I would put my dog to
    sleep before I would let it be a police dog.

I am sure there are some good handlers out there somewhere. But they are few and far between.
    Last edited by FORD4LIFE; 10-21-2008, 10:34 PM.

I'm thinking of a word that begins with at "T" and ends in a "roll"
    If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

Ignored:
    juicesnn4e2

Comment

Its VIDEO...not VEDIO...

Comment

Comment

You know as a rookie aspiring to become a K-9 officer I find your post a bit distastefull. Do you go looking for every %#$% offed story you can find just to get a rise out of officers. Is that what you do to get off? Seriously I grew up my whole life with dogs. Real dogs not some tea cup foo foo dog wisperer's wet dream. A really good friend of my family and my pet's breeder owns and operates a Law Enforcement K9 Academy and I know for a fact she would not give a dog nor any self respecting breeder give a dog to anyone who would have anythng in their record that would hint at behavior like that. So you have to ask yourself were they real K9 partners? Also through my friendship I have met several officers who lost their partner in the line of duty and it messed them up so bad they left the career and no one thinks less of them. You should seriously consider what you want to say before you say it. If you want to Bi#$ about somthing like that then you should go to a liberal tree hugging PETA site.
          Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Comment

Like hell, one of my partners' dog gets better treatment then we do. That's a 20,000 dollar investment, we wouldn't do well to mistreat that animal.
            Invisible cows control my mind.

Comment

I would have thought that if PETA was going to send a troll, they would have at least found one that could spell.
              "My faith, my country and my family will guide me; nothing more, nothing less" -Gen. Tommy Franks

Comment

Here is one of the few threads where someone has absolutely no idea what they are talking about. Bravo
                I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Originally posted by FORD4LIFE View Post

Why Are So Many K-9 Dogs Abused By Their Handlers?

I am sure there are some good handlers out there somewhere. But they are few and far between.
                  I didn't realize this was such a wide spread and systematic problem. Just out of curiosity, can you tell me how many K9s there are in US and Canadian police service and of them, how many have been abused ? The numbers don't have to be exact - rough figures will do. Also, could you please include an authoritative source for these figures? Thanks!
                  Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Yeah, what everyone above said. Plus, the OP seems to be under the mistaken impression that Police K9s are "pets", they are not. They are working animals, and while that does not justify their "abuse" it does mean that they are expected to do things that we would not ask of our "pets".
                    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them"-Felix

Comment

Originally posted by FORD4LIFE View Post

Your an idiot.
                      The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

What one may term as 'abuse' for a house pet is a far cry from abuse for a working K-9. Don't forget that the dogs and handlers go through weeks and weeks of training (10 weeks around here) together, putting them in a variety of situations. K-9s are bred as high-drive, aggressive, alpha, working dogs. The handler has to sometimes re-assert himself as the alpha. Sometimes, this is done through physical means.

I remember when I was in my training phase and we had one of our K-9s out tracking in a field/wooded area. The dog was obviously not doing what it was supposed to as he continually stopped to eat leaves and grass. This didn't last too long. The handler picked the dog up and body-slammed him on the ground on his back. This could easily be mistaken for 'abuse' when in reality, it was just a wake-up call by the handler because the dog was not doing what he was trained to do. In fact, the look on the dog's face seemed like he was saying "hey, I was eating before you interrupted me!"

*I'm not a K-9 handler. My info. comes from what I've learned through speaking with the K-9 handlers at my dept.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Looker View Post
                          Yea-tree hugger-yuppie and I can think of some more names also. Maybe they will go AWAY !!!
                          "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by wu2008 View Post
                            This didn't last too long. The handler picked the dog up and body-slammed him on the ground on his back. This could easily be mistaken for 'abuse' when in reality, it was just a wake-up call by the handler because the dog was not doing what he was trained to do.
                            Actually all dogs should have that as a training method. It's what pack dogs do to each other when someone is acting out of order. The good ole dog whisperer on whatever channel he is on does it all the time (he probably does it a lot more gentle on tv than he does it off camera).

But anyway back to the original poster, you have no clue what you're talking about. Yes, if a cop starves his k9 to death he should be criminally charged (and I believe he was in your case). But as someone else said it's an isolated incident. If you want to take on a problem in Miami take on a dog fighting problem.

And I don't know a single handler who's dog isn't family.

Comment

anyone ever notice how many people out there are complaining about k9 handlers abusing their dogs?

Oh wait, look at that. I just took an isolated case and made it seem like an everyday occurance...wow, aint that something?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9938 users online. 465 members and 9473 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X