Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ride along protocol/etiquette?

Hey all.

I'm doing a ride along with the Department I'm applying at & was just wondering what the ins & outs were.

Dress code? I hear it's customary to buy the officer's lunch/dinner, but other than that, I have no idea.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Lingenfelser; 10-04-2008, 12:12 PM. Reason: update

Ride Aong Protocol
    • No gas passing withjout first warning and then claiming
    • No loud belching - might be mistaken for AK47 fire
    • No smoking or chewing without a express permission and a spit cup
    • No sunflower seeds - see above
    • No BO - shower extra good. What you wear is not as important as that it is clean.
    • No stinkly feet or muddy shoes
    • No touching of music choice lest you learn all about the Kubaton and pain compliance techniques.
    • No dissing officer's choice in same music lest you become a pedestrian
    • No popping oir snapping bubble gum
    • No nose picking under ANY circumstances
    • And finally - never - NO WAY NO HOW - EVER, touch or play with the shotgun.
    • And yes - dinner is on you.
    The All New
    BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
    Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
    - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Nice, Trooper! Very nice!
      1*

Comment

Dinner

Ive been on 18 ride alongs with the local department here and have found that officers dont actually like people buying their food. Is that just a local thing or what?
        Originally posted by ISPY4U2
        I'd have pooped myself.
        "But Officer, it's not my butthole. Really, it's my cousins butthole."

-V

Comment

Thanks, Trooper. Much appreciated.

Sounds like common sense/common courtesy, to me.

Comment

Dress code is dependant on shift,
            AM shift, maybe khaki pants and polo shirt
            PM or night shift, jeans and a polo shirt

Must be clean shaven, its a part of the whole process, if the guy you ride along with remembers you as having worn ripped pants, 3 day beard growth, messy hair etc and maybe just maybe he is a part of the oral board panel or something you just buried yourself.
            As far as paying for dinner, I think I would cover it.

Also, at the beginning of the ride-along, ask him if there is any specific instructions he wants you to heed.
            TALK
            I got nothing for now

Comment

Please bring your own dinner money.....I don't like buying my own much less someone elses.

Don't get out of the car unless I say you can.

On that same note don't play with my in car equipment while I am out of the
              car.

I want people who ride with me to have a good time and hopefully take a positive experience with law enforcement with them. Feel like asking questions ask away.

Neat dress is important. You might not be a cop but you will be around cops. First impressions are important. Khaki pants and a polo would cover it. If you've got a nice pair of jeans and the same kinda shirt that would work too.

And everything 10-42 Trooper said

Comment

I've done quite a few ride alongs, and I always first ask the officer what they want me to do during traffic stops, and other calls. Most want you to stay in the car during stops just for safety. Stay out of the way, just watch and learn. If they ask you to help with something and you are comfortable doing it then that's fine but otherwise be the silent observer. Some will let you run the radar remote, and others may even have you fill out the tickets for them to sign. I've offered to buy sodas and lunch for officers and have never had one take me up on it. I did lend a $1 to one guy for a double cheeseburger, but as soon as we got back the station he paid me back. Don't ask questions about proceadures or other things while you have a guest in the back seat. We don't want the bad guys learning anything! Just use common sense and you'll do fine.
                "My faith, my country and my family will guide me; nothing more, nothing less" -Gen. Tommy Franks

Comment

Everything Troop said with this personal note. If you show up(not saying you would) looking/smelling like a three day toot, you don't ride. At least not with me. Most departments allow Officers to chose not to accept a rider. Other than that, I refer you back to the previous replies you've recieved, Enjoy your ride along.

Comment

Again, fellas, much thanks for tips.

All good, common sense stuff that I was already thinking, but wanted to make sure.

Should be okay on dress/hygiene. Having worked out of Embassies & briefing Ambassadors before, I'm generally pretty good about washing my 4th point of contact & not dressing like a bum

Looking forward to this & again, thanks for the tips.

Comment

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper View Post
                      • No gas passing withjout first warning and then claiming
                      • No loud belching - might be mistaken for AK47 fire
                      • No smoking or chewing without a express permission and a spit cup
                      • No sunflower seeds - see above
                      • No BO - shower extra good. What you wear is not as important as that it is clean.
                      • No stinkly feet or muddy shoes
                      • No touching of music choice lest you learn all about the Kubaton and pain compliance techniques.
                      • No dissing officer's choice in same music lest you become a pedestrian
                      • No popping oir snapping bubble gum
                      • No nose picking under ANY circumstances
                      • And finally - never - NO WAY NO HOW - EVER, touch or play with the shotgun.
                      • And yes - dinner is on you.
                      Well done!

Comment

If you want to be employed by this agency then I would dress as nice as is practical. Slacks, and a nice shirt. I wouldn't show up in a suit or anything, but remember, you aren't going to be the one getting dirty if need be.

Comment

I agree with most of this except for lunch. I'm a big boy and I can buy my own lunch. I would try to get a ride along on a later shift, you'll probably have more fun. Jeans and a Polo should be good. Hygene, that goes without saying, if somebody if an applicant to be a cop, they should already know that. I let my riders get out as much as they are comfortable unless I tell them to stay put. Ask questions about the job. Avoid the whole, I got a ticket once and do you think the cop was a jerk. Most department are not gonna give a rider to one of the disgruntled guys, so you will most likely be paired up with a friendly guy. Above all, have fun and pay attention.

Comment

My advice would be avoid the teenager/common ride along questions
                            Have you ever shot anybody?
                            Whats the craziest call you have ever had?
                            Have you ever saw a dead body?
                            Have you ever shot a dog?
                            Have you ever crashed a car?
                            How fast does this thing go?
                            Did he just s*** in your back seat?
                            Are you gonna taser somebody.
                            whats 10-22
                            whats 10-21
                            whats 10-12
                            whats........

Comment

Originally posted by LawfficerFriend View Post
                              My advice would be avoid the teenager/common ride along questions
                              Have you ever shot anybody?
                              Whats the craziest call you have ever had?
                              Have you ever saw a dead body?
                              Have you ever shot a dog?
                              Have you ever crashed a car?
                              How fast does this thing go?
                              Did he just s*** in your back seat?
                              Are you gonna taser somebody.
                              whats 10-22
                              whats 10-21
                              whats 10-12
                              whats........
                              Good advice, But I wouldn't mind being asked if the guy just shyte in the back seat. I'd be ****ed at the guy in back, but I wouldn't mind being asked.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5163 users online. 292 members and 4871 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X