Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gauged Ears

Hello everyone,

A good friend of mine is also considering pursuing a career in Law Enforcement, unfortunately he gauged his ears when he was a kid. (For those who do not know what this is it means http://www.buzzle.com/articles/ear-g...piercings.html

Depending on what size you stretch your ear to it may not close up completely.

My question is, will having his ears possibly not close all the way create a problem for his law enforcement career?

Thanks everyone
    Police Officer. Uniform patrol. Metro Atlanta area.

"...and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."
    -Abraham Lincoln

How large are they? We have a guy who wears about 2s or 4s when he's off but they look normal when he works. My wife wears 00s all the time, and they don't close. If they're not closing have him put neosporen in the hole a couple times a day, and if that doesn't help after a while he'll have to have them sowed.

And yes, he will have a difficult time getting a job if they won't close all the way.

Comment

ear

His ears have been at 1/2 inch for about 5 or 6 months now. when they're out there pretty small looking but obviously still noticeable.

"...and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."
      -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Half an inch is pretty big ( not compared to 1 inch obviously), and there's very little possibility of them closing back up unless he gets them sowed back up. If he wants a job he should probably stop using them.

I don't mind guages, actually wouldn't mind if the wife's were bigger, but she can't have them much bigger for her job either.

Comment

Yeah, half inch is pretty big. He's 19 so it would be a little over a year before he would have to start going through the hiring process, but in the meantime while he is doing ride alongs and other LE classes it seems to me it would look better if he didn't have them in. Am i rite? Do you know anything about the type of surgery?

-Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by LCrabtree View Post
            Yeah, half inch is pretty big. He's 19 so it would be a little over a year before he would have to start going through the hiring process, but in the meantime while he is doing ride alongs and other LE classes it seems to me it would look better if he didn't have them in. Am i rite? Do you know anything about the type of surgery?
            As long as he has it fixed by the time he starts the process (or academy, which ever comes first), he'll be fine. But if he has gauged ears during ride a longs he will get plenty of wise cracks thrown his way (maybe in front of him, maybe behind his back, who knows).

He'd have to go to a plastic surgeon if they don't fully close. It's not a difficult process as far as plastic surgery goes, it's done under local anestesia. I don't know the price, but it's probably about 8-10 times the amount of money he's spent on the process of getting his ears out to 1/2 inch (which, as I'm sure he'll tell you, is quite a bit).

Comment

My ears were gauged pretty close to 1/2" or so. I took them out about a year before testing and they closed up fine. If you look at my ears now you could not tell.

Comment

Studchris,

Thanks for all the info. Hopefully he will figure it out. I think i will tell him to look into the plastic surgery thing. Hopefully he wont get to many wise cracks. haha

DrDeath,

so you think if he takes them out around a year before he would start any hiring process or the academy he should be fine?

Thanks everyone!!

-Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Studchris,

DrDeath,

so you think if he takes them out around a year before he would start any hiring process or the academy he should be fine?

Thanks everyone!!
                  Hard to say, everyone's body is different.

I healed up well within that year, but my ears were carefully gauged and I had no tearing or scar tissue.

You friend's best bet would be to take them out now and let them close up for a few months and see.

Comment

yeah, out of all the "research" we've been doing on the subject we've come to realize it's different with everyone. Thanks again everyone.

-Abraham Lincoln

Comment

My ears were gauged to a 00 for close to a year. I took them out toward the end of college, and they still haven't closed up all the way. That was about 2 years ago. You can tell they were gauged if you look closely, but most people dont seem to notice. Anyway, I got hired about 6mo ago. Never even came up.

Comment

ear

Johnny,

Thanks, im glad to hear you got hired and it never came up.
                        Last edited by LCrabtree; 09-23-2008, 01:13 AM.

-Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Johnny,

Thanks, im glad to hear you got hired and it never came up. I'm thinking about taking mine out around a year before I would get hired. Hopefully they'll be alright. Thanks
                          So much for this "friend" who has gauged ears?

Good luck man, they shouldn't be an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDeath View Post
                            So much for this "friend" who has gauged ears?

Good luck man, they shouldn't be an issue.
                            Haha... didn't even catch that one. That's funny.

Comment

Sounds like he's more qualified to be a witch doctor now.
                              Have him get a couple of bone piercings for his nose.
                              Those guys pull down some serious coin.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4464 users online. 230 members and 4234 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X