300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need your help/advice

I have been in backgrounds with Nevada Highway Patrol since May of this year and am also in backgrounds with Nye County Sheriffs Office. Here is my current dilemma:

I work at a hospital here in Vegas, a 275,000 square foot facility. I'm the only security officer on duty for the entire property. Were the only hospital in Vegas that does this. Since I started three years ago I have had to give the PBX operator two fifteen minute breaks and one half an hour break.

I myself am not allowed to clock out for lunch but regardless I still give them their break so I'm a security officer and pbx operator. Now, I get an email stating that I need to come in for a 30 minute training period and am told that now there is not going to be an engineer on duty on night, which is when I work and I am to start doing their job also.

So now I'm responsible for the security of the building, pbx and now engineering. This really is a safety issue, security all ready takes all my time, now if I'm dealing with a combative patient I also will have to deal with temputure changes and over flowing toilets and then go and answer phones.

I have been offered other hospital security jobs here in the valley but would it look extremely bad leaving this one at this time?

I'm not in the Union and being that this is a right to work state my boss told me he does not see a problem with the situation and also if I don't like it I could quit.

Just lost at this moment and need some help or advice on what I should do.

Thanks guys and gals.
    Last edited by djblank87; 09-20-2008, 08:20 AM.

CrossFit

RossTraining

Originally posted by djblank87 View Post
    I have been in backgrounds with Nevada Highway Patrol since May of this year and am also in backgrounds with Nye County Sheriffs Office. Here is my current dilemma:

I work at a hospital here in Vegas, a 275,000 square foot facility. I'm the only security officer on duty for the entire property. Were the only hospital in Vegas that does this. Since I started three years ago I have had to give the PBX operator two fifteen minute breaks and one half an hour break.

I myself am not allowed to clock out for lunch but regardless I still give them their break so I'm a security officer and pbx operator. Now, I get an email stating that I need to come in for a 30 minute training period and am told that now there is not going to be an engineer on duty on night, which is when I work and I am to start doing their job also.

So now I'm responsible for the security of the building, pbx and now engineering. This really is a safety issue, security all ready takes all my time, now if I'm dealing with a combative patient I also will have to deal with temputure changes and over flowing toilets and then go and answer phones.

I have been offered other hospital security jobs here in the valley but would it look extremely bad leaving this one at this time?

I'm not in the Union and being that this is a right to work state my boss told me he does not see a problem with the situation and also if I don't like it I could quit.

Just lost at this moment and need some help or advice on what I should do.

Thanks guys and gals.
    I see no problem with your going elsewhere. In fact, given your post, it sounds like the thing to do. Prior to quitting, get another gig lined up. Give the hospital proper notice(usually two weeks). Once you change jobs, give the BI at both NHP and the Nye County Sheriff's Dept a "heads-up". Good luck!!

Comment

Remember, if you let them get away with it, they will keep doing it. Good luck with the LE Career.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
        I see no problem with your going elsewhere. In fact, given your post, it sounds like the thing to do. Prior to quitting, get another gig lined up. Give the hospital proper notice(usually two weeks). Once you change jobs, give the BI at both NHP and the Nye County Sheriff's Dept a "heads-up". Good luck!!
        Originally posted by TOMBSTONE View Post
        Remember, if you let them get away with it, they will keep doing it. Good luck with the LE Career.
        Thanks for the responses, I contacted another hospital that offered me a job in the past and can get an interview next week. I hate to leave my current employer when I'm possibly so close to getting hired (Knock On Wood) by NHP or NCSO but the situation is out of control.

It's horrible working in a right to work state sometimes, myself along with my co-workers hear "If you don't like it leave" weekly. And of course I will give two weeks notice, I don't want to burn any bridges.

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

You could always tough it out and wait to see what happens with the two agencies you've applied with. Think of it this way: How great would it look during your back-ground/interview if they contacted your former employer who states "We've really thrown alot at him over the past several months. He's definitely stepped up to the plate and handled an extraordinary workload and helped us out a bunch."

You see where I'm going with this? It may just end up helping you with either of the depts. you've applied with already, or with the ones to come in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by JLW View Post
            You could always tough it out and wait to see what happens with the two agencies you've applied with. Think of it this way: How great would it look during your back-ground/interview if they contacted your former employer who states "We've really thrown alot at him over the past several months. He's definitely stepped up to the plate and handled an extraordinary workload and helped us out a bunch."

You see where I'm going with this? It may just end up helping you with either of the depts. you've applied with already, or with the ones to come in the future.
            I do understand where you're coming from and have thought about that also. But the problem is my boss would never say something to that effect. My boss made statement's during a meeting with five other employee's, I was present also, we asked him what was going to happen to our night engineer once his position is eliminated and he stated "I don't care if he dies", "I'm not worried about him, I'm worried about the company".

In my opinion that is BS, and I understand his job is to look out for the company but stating things of that nature is un-professional and not necessary. My current boss just started six months ago, we have been threw three others before him.

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

That sucks. But he sure can't take the fact that you took the job seriously, handled your business( along with the other stuff stacked on you) and did what you had to do.

It would definitely show that you're able to handle anything thrown at you, and that you can multi-task; all things that are applicable to a law enforcement career.

Comment

Originally posted by JLW View Post
                That sucks. But he sure can't take the fact that you took the job seriously, handled your business( along with the other stuff stacked on you) and did what you had to do.

It would definitely show that you're able to handle anything thrown at you, and that you can multi-task; all things that are applicable to a law enforcement career.

It really is a horrible situation right now. I spoke with another security officer and offered him my schedule and I would take his on swing shift and would not have to deal with any of this. He is going to get back to me, hopefully he will decide soon.

It's amazing when you speak to people in administration like the COO of the company, and they tell you that they do not see a problem with me doing three jobs at once.

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

At Risk Of Sounding Like The Grinch

You know, there is another aspect to this that is going to sound horribly crappy and like a complete sell out, but sadly, it is true.

The hospital's management (and not you) gets to determine the quality and quantity of security services delivered to their facility. If they believe the need for security is so limited that it is appropriate to redirect your services to non security functions, that is their prerogative. It may not be right, it may be unprofessional from a security standpoint and it may get someone hurt. Nonetheless, if they are the ones who are held accountable for the overall operation of the hospital, they are entitled to direct resources in a manner that they feel comfortable with. It might be different if you were a government employee who was directed to ignore duties mandated by law. But in this case you are dealing with a private company that has the latitude to set their own standards and then direct you to comply with them.

If what your boss is doing violates company policy or otherwise constitutes misconduct, you should report him. Otherwise, you need to just suck it up or move on to another job.
                  Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                    You know, there is another aspect to this that is going to sound horribly crappy and like a complete sell out, but sadly, it is true.

The hospital's management (and not you) gets to determine the quality and quantity of security services delivered to their facility. If they believe the need for security is so limited that it is appropriate to redirect your services to non security functions, that is their prerogative. It may not be right, it may be unprofessional from a security standpoint and it may get someone hurt. Nonetheless, if they are the ones who are held accountable for the overall operation of the hospital, they are entitled to direct resources in a manner that they feel comfortable with. It might be different if you were a government employee who was directed to ignore duties mandated by law. But in this case you are dealing with a private company that has the latitude to set their own standards and then direct you to comply with them.

If what your boss is doing violates company policy or otherwise constitutes misconduct, you should report him. Otherwise, you need to just suck it up or move on to another job.
                    Very good points, my father said pretty much the exact same thing. It's hard to sit back and say "Hey, I have to fix a sink, so the combative physc patient fighting with the 130 pounds nurse is going to have to wait". There's a whole list of items I could list that are in time going to put the company in a very liable state, but I guess it doesn't matter to them.

It's to bad, this place used to be a great place to work and still could be if they thought more about the safety of the staff and patients instead of other things.

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8144 users online. 440 members and 7704 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X