300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nurses in Law Enforcement?

Generally, Forensic Nursing is still considered to be a new career. However, they are playing a role in criminal justice and not many people are familiar with Nurses being in this role. This is something that I am highly pursuing right now as a career. Most often they work for State Police and obviously hospitals.
    I have a few questions, just out of curiosity.

Have you ever worked with a Forensic Nurse in an investigation or had experience with them?
    What's your opinion of them? Do you feel they help in investigations such as homicide, rape, abuse, evidence collection on the victim, etc?.

Feel free to expand on this topic, because there truly isn't a whole lot of information out there for this career.

Thanks!
    When theres something you want fight for it. Don't give up no matter how hopeless it seems. Even when you've lost hope, cause years from now you're going to look back and wish you gave it one more shot cause the best things in life don't come easy.

Originally posted by Jess0411 View Post
    Generally, Forensic Nursing is still considered to be a new career. However, they are playing a role in criminal justice and not many people are familiar with Nurses being in this role. This is something that I am highly pursuing right now as a career. Most often they work for State Police and obviously hospitals.
    I have a few questions, just out of curiosity.

Have you ever worked with a Forensic Nurse in an investigation or had experience with them?
    What's your opinion of them? Do you feel they help in investigations such as homicide, rape, abuse, evidence collection on the victim, etc?.

Feel free to expand on this topic, because there truly isn't a whole lot of information out there for this career.

Thanks!
    At the academy we had a Forensic Nurse come in and talk to us. She is a reserve police officer at one of the larger South Central Nebraska departments. She seemed to know her stuff, I don't mean to say it like this because we all knew it serves a purpose, but she was putting everyone to sleep. personally I have never worked with one, I have only talked with other officers who have. From what I hear from other officers they work good as a liasion between officers and the medical staff.

The instructor that brought her in told us until she came along at least at their department, it was like pulling teeth to get medical information because of HIPPA. It was at the point where LEO were threatening to get subpoenas to get information they needed for reports and cases. They would tell the medical staff if they got a subpoena everyone would have to leave the records area and when they came back they would not be responsible for all of the files in one big pile on the floor.
    Some people were just dropped on their heads as children more than the rest of us!

Comment

As far as I know none of out local forensic nurses are officers. Yes, they are very helpful in collecting rape evidence. Around here (and I would think most places)a forensic nurse is not going to have anything to do with a death investigation. Some will give you more than others, so it is important to establish a good relationship with the head nurse. You are not going to be a forensic nurse (at least around here) until you put your time in on the floor. Kinda like you're not gonna be a detective till you put your time in on the street.

Comment

Forensic nurses are nurses with a little extra training. Ours conduct rape kits and bag evidence at the hospital, and that's it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5223 users online. 266 members and 4957 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X