300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• University SWAT Team

I am a police officer at a large university and because of recent events at our university I made a suggestion to my Chief during an in-service training about developing a SWAT team. To my surprise he agreed that this is something that he would like to look into and gave me the task of researching how to devise a team. Any advice?

Originally posted by Phlyy788 View Post
    I am a police officer at a large university and because of recent events at our university I made a suggestion to my Chief during an in-service training about developing a SWAT team. To my surprise he agreed that this is something that he would like to look into and gave me the task of researching how to devise a team. Any advice?
    Putting together a team is a pretty huge investment considering all the weapons, tools, and gear you have to get, not to mention the training. A better idea may be to call around to local (respected) teams, and see if they offer training to smaller departments. It's better to have everyone well trained in things like active shooter, than to have a group of 5 guys trained in everything from take downs to search warrants to hostage to everything else. Those five guys are great when they're there, but usually with the situations that are happening in schools you don't have the luxury of sitting around and waiting for them.

Comment

i agree. I work for a college as well and from previous incidents in the country the chief here decided to train everyone in active shooters, crazy take downs and so on. From our experience training wise it works out better because at least everyone is on the same page with the rifles and shotgun training and tactical ways of operating
      Alf

Comment

Contact a UPD that has a SWAT/ERT/RRT/etc and ask them for information. UNT has one in Denton Texas if its any help.
        Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Comment

That may be too expensive for the college, and the level of training needed may leave your department short of qualified people as most University PDs are not hugely manned. I would have your college PD Chief ask the local Sheriff or PD that serves your college area to see if a member of your agency can attend their SWAT school and train with them, then if an incident occurs on the campus you will be deployed with that team.

Comment

First get a good estimate on the actual monetary, and man hour cost of establishing a team (don't forget to research grants). Then get the estimate to your Chief. That may end your task right there, and I'd hate to see you waste your time on something that was never going to happen. This first step alone is going to be time consuming. You may get a good feel for what kind of support you are going to recieve if your bosses make sure you are given time to do this stuff on duty, or if instead, they load you up with other tasks, and make your life difficult.

If the Chief gives you a green light, you should then contact the SWAT team that currently covers call outs to your area. Besides the knowledge, and advice to be gained from them, they will now be your primary back-up team. You will most likely be training, and working with them in the future. Your tactics, and equipment, where applicable, should be compatable with theirs. They will also be able to tell you where to get the best deals on things like training and equipment. SWAT like all other areas of LE involves alot of networking
            Last edited by CUFFS137; 09-21-2008, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Ntoa

Contact the National Tactical Officer's Association. They have OUTSTANDING resources and may be able to refer you to specific agencies in the area. Also, if you join the NTOA (don't have to be a SWAT cop, just a cop) you will get access to training manuals and policies that they have.

Good luck!
              NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

why would you need your own team when the city or county could handle it? a better plan might be sending your officers to SWAT schools and advanced tactic classes so that they can better respond to certain incidents while SWAT is en route.
                Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

Morgan State U is in Baltimore. Not necessarily the best part of the country, I know. However, the logistics of having an entire team may outweigh the benefits. Having re-evaluated my position, I concur with the above posts:

Train the officers more in Active Shooter scenarios, physical fights on campus and possibly responding to barricaded subjects. Outfitting, training and staffing a whole "team" just may not be feasible.

At least you guys are somewhat close to Blackwater if you need to travel for training.
                  NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

If you or your Chief are members of IACLEA international association of campus law enforcement adminstrators, send out an email to UPD'S with SWAT teams, they can give you great info. I work for a campus pd and we are members of a multi agency SWAT team. Our budget is limited but you would be surprised what you can do with proper training and a little equipment....
                    "I am... reminded of something Cardinal Wolsey once told me. That I should only ever tell the king what he ought to do, not what he could do; for if the lion knows his own strength, no man could control him". Sir Thomas More

Comment

Thanks guys for the replies. Active shooter training is something the department has definetly taken serious in fact in the past year we have been able to attend two courses. Right now it's just an idea that was drawn to see if it was actually a wise decision. Oh and getting the local departments SWAT there in under two hours would be a miracle. Anyways lots of good advice.

Comment

Something else I would propose, is that instead of attempting to set up a team, try and get some equipment, i.e. ballistic blankets, shields, maybe even flashbangs. If you've got people that are interested in doing some of the stuff, that's much better than having only one person do everything.
                        NRA Life Member

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6073 users online. 363 members and 5710 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X