Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for LEO's w/over 10 years experience

From your law enforcement and life experience, would you become an LEO
    again, in today's environment? Why or Why not?

Yes,

If you can hack it its a good gig.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Be a fire fighter, everybody loves them and they get comfy blue chairs to lay about in on duty.

Seriously though, yes I would even with all the changes I've seen in the job. I'll have 20 years in Feb. I still push a radio car (by choice) and enjoy coming to work.
      Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
      Albert Einstein

Comment

If you can play the political game, it's a good gig.........

Comment

Yes, just wish that I knew then what I know now.

Comment

Yes, but in todays world, I would have gone military instead of college before entering into LE.
            The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

We don't pick this job, it picks us.

Most of us could easily have been MD's lawers, Nurses, Scientists, Etc...

Can't tell you why, but we know what's for us. And we can rather quickly tell when we meet someone who should not be a cop.

M-11
              “All men dream...... But not equally..
              Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
              but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
              for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Yes. I have never thought twice about my calling. I have had periods of difficulty due to various things, but I never doubted that I was made for this career. It's about having the heart to do it. It's really not about being brave or macho or whatever. To go the distance here, you need to love it, to truly want to help, to care.
                sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

I just hit 13 years, and to quote Al Pacino's character in "Heat" ..I don't know how to do anything else...and I don't much want to either.

Remember ..If you enjoy what you do, you will never work a day in your life...So Im doin pretty good. 12 to go.

Comment

If I could start over, because of my love for the outdoors, I would liked to have worked as a Game Warden, or the US Forest Service..
                    Retired LASD

Comment

My career in LE fulfilled my childhood dream. It lived up to all that I thought it would be and gave me the personal satisfaction of contentment and giving. Would I repeat that profession? In a heartbeat! A great career and opportunities galore.
                      Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Yes, it's a great job minus the political, and touchy feely stuff, but other than that it's a great experience and there are opportunities after you leave the job.

Comment

Honestly, I would not. Too much of a toll on a family.... for those of us that wanted families of course. Or maybe I should say this. Exactly ten years ago a man said to me the following, " Policing and Lae enforcement is for single people!" I thought I knew more than he. I was wrong. If you think about it oppurtunites that come up in this job create a lot of chaos in a family setting. Late hours, odd hours, etc. etc.........the only part of law enforcement that is for maried people is patrol........everything else is up in the air. For those about to give stupid comments, this ie third generation policing, two shootings and a coupld departments worth of experience talking
                          "There is no pain in death; it only hurts to die."

Comment

I concur with MPLS Finest...holding together a marriage in specialty units can be tough...so get thoat experience in your folder while your young...Then concentrate on your family.

Comment

It is a younger person's calling for a number of reasons - it fits their lifstyle better. When you have a spouse and kids waiting at home, it's hard to cut up, hang or go party with the guys like part of you wants to do. It's easier to throw yourself completely into a violent incident without having the baggage of worrying about you family losing you, your income and your embrace.

With that in mind, it always filled my heart with gratitude when I made it home to my family - especially after a rough shift with gruesome death, bloody incidents or domestic conflict - and we shared those first few moments of genuine joy and gratitude to be hugging one another once again. To them, it was just Daddy coming home from work. To me, it was a gratefulness to my God for having a wholesome and loving and healthy and unaffected family waiting for me as my reward for my service to man.

So, while I had other talents and interests, I stayed with it for my 20 and once a pension was in my pocket, I stepped out because it truly is a younger person's calling. I had had enough.

But oh my, there are some days I do still miss it so.
                              The All New
                              BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                              Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                              - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3657 users online. 191 members and 3466 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X