Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NJ intersection controlled by light

Okay,

I enter a large 4 way intersection (a straight and turning lane in all directions). Light turns green, nobody coming, I enter intersection I am already more than 70% in the intersection and well beyond double yellow line. I make a left turn and get hit in the middle of my car at the front driver door and back door by a vehicle who was no where near intersection when I turned and I started my left.

There was men working on the side in orange vests so I slowed considerably while making the turn as it was difficult to see if there were other men besides the original guys I saw.

Isn't there a law that you must yield to those already in an intersection? For example I'm in and light turns red on me, I have the right to proceed don't I and those entering are supposed to yield to those already in.

There are over 50 feet of skidmarks before the other driver even entered the intersection which is proof that they saw me early enough to stop or avoid accident by going around me. Their speed limit was 45 and they totalled a minivan with an Ion. Based on length of skidmarks, which were over 70 feet isn't that proof they should have been able to stop and must have been speeding and not paying attention to roadway? They claims I cut them off las minute which wow how could there have been skid marks so long then. We pulled away as intersection is heavily travelled in the other direction before officer arrived.

I get the ticket and they don't. I don't get it. Officer didn't talk to me until after giving me a ticket and wouldn't even listen to me and ignored the skid marks that were apparently very fresh and much darker than any others. Doesn't he have to listen to my side before giving a ticket? Basically I'm guilty without him bothering to hear my side. I've driven for 25 years without a ticket or any other marks on my driving record.

Who's right?

Much appreciation in advance.

My dad was a DI and died in his 25th year on the job. I wish I could ask him. It's been a long time and I'm embarassed to talk with his friends to ask.
    Last edited by thisone; 09-18-2008, 06:16 PM. Reason: more info

See answers in red

Originally posted by thisone View Post
    Okay,

Isn't there a law that you must yield to those already in an intersection? For example I'm in and light turns red on me, I have the right to proceed don't I and those entering are supposed to yield to those already in.

NO. Left turns must yield to oncoming traffic.

There are 50 feet of skidmarks before the other driver entered the intersection which is proof that I was there first. She was speeding as limit was 45 and she totalled a minivan with an Ion. She claims I cut her off and the skid marks were already there and not from the accident. We pulled away as intersection is heavily travelled in the other direction before officer arrived.

The skid marks prove she had to apply her breaks hard to avoid the collision you apparently caused.

I get the ticket and they don't. I don't get it. Officer didn't talk to me until after giving me a ticket and wouldn't even listen to me and ignored the skid marks that were apparently very fresh and much darker than any others. Doesn't he have to listen to my side before giving a ticket?

No

Basically I'm guilty without him bothering to hear my side. I've driven for 25 years without a ticket or any other marks on my driving record.

Who's right?

Probably the officer/trooper/deputy

Comment

You should not have been in the intersection to begin with.

Last edited by kruwl; 02-25-2010, 12:29 AM.

Comment

The vehicle turning left (you by your own admission) must yield the right of way to oncoming traffic.

Like mentioned, all the skidmarks prove is that the oncoming driver applied her brakes in an effort to avoid crashing in to you.

Comment

She wasn't in site

She wasn't in site when I entered the intersection. She was over 150 feet from intersection when I started my turn. That is safe. If she was cautious as men were working before going into intersection she wouldn't have been braking so far back from stop mark which was an additional 15 feet from my car for over 70 feet where she realized she was going too fast and had to slam on her brakes. If speed was only 45, she was entering intersection, and men were working doesn't she bear some fault?

What about 39:4-90. Which specifies that you must yield to those already in the intersection.

Comment

incident happened only because I had to brake due to the men working otherwise I would have been more than safely through. She had more than enough time to see me and steer clear if she wasn't speeding.

Comment

Last edited by kruwl; 02-25-2010, 12:29 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3220 users online. 152 members and 3068 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X