300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Procuring to Minors, Disorderly household

So this friday night/saturday morning, my roommates thought it would be a great idea to throw a kegger at our house in Lincoln,NE. However, I did not know about this. My girlfriend and I went to a movie at 10:45p.m.(Tropic Thunder:Worst movie ever.) I am 21, I did not purchase the alcohol, my roommates who are 20 have fake i.d.'s and used those to purchase the alcohol. Long story short, My girlfriend and I come home to a party of 100-120 people. No more than 10 min.(approx. 12:30p.m) later, the cops show up and write all of us who rent the house, Procuring to Minors and Disorderly Household. I went and talked to an attorney and he spoke to the city prosecutor and had Procuring to Minors dropped from my charges but because i could have made everyone leave, I am still being charged for Disorderly Household.

I am going to school to become a police officer. I have done nothing wrong in the past, no speeding, no parking, nothing. I plan on disclosing both charges whether they are dropped or not whenever I have my interview with a department. I was just wondering how much of a black mark will this have for me? I am scared to death that I am screwed out of a career I've wanted since high school.

You'll be fine. As backwards as this is going to sound, agencies like to hire people who are not saints. You dont want to be the goody two shoes of a department.

Comment

thank you for your response. The irony of the whole situation is one of my friends was one of the officers that busted the party. I guess I was all worked up because of the fact that I have never had any trouble with the law before.

Comment

If the situation went down as you described it: You had no prior knowledge the party was going to take place, I don't see a problem. When you fill out your PHS or similar document, you list the charge, explain the situation. Shouldn't be a killer at all.

Comment

If you're serious about being a cop it sounds like you need some new roommates.

Comment

I'm talking to the landlord now about the roommate thing. Both of these offenses are misdemeanors in the state of nebraska. Procuring is a Class I and I can't remember what class disorderly household is. So, given that Procuring has been dropped will the disorderly household misdemeanor ruin my chances?

Comment

Originally posted by hockey19 View Post
              I'm talking to the landlord now about the roommate thing. Both of these offenses are misdemeanors in the state of nebraska. Procuring is a Class I and I can't remember what class disorderly household is. So, given that Procuring has been dropped will the disorderly household misdemeanor ruin my chances?
              Dude, you had a party at your house, that's it. Even if you had set it up yourself I seriously doubt we would have a problem with it.

I would try to get a copy of the report to make sure there is nothing in there which would be damaging to you. Talk to your buddy, he will know how to get it.
              A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact!

Comment

I will be taking Diversion for the Maintaining Disorderly so it will be off my record in 6 months. Do you think I will have to wait a few years before I apply or do you think it would be ok to apply when I graduate in fall '09

Comment

So i just looked up the criminal history report of the incident. Disorderly was Disposed on 10/12/08 and will be expunged in April, and Procuring was Disposed on 10/12/08. How long do you think I will have to wait to apply? I will be graduating college in May of '10.

Comment

Any help? I was thinking about applying to places next Spring

Comment

Whether they'll be expunged or not, you'll still need to disclose them on a background investigation. You will, however, have an opportunity to explain the situation. Better to disclose and explain, than to try and see if you can make them "go away".

Background investigators call agencies in your area and ask about how you appear in their records systems...that is, how many times you've been listed as a complainant, victim, suspect, arrestee, etc. No amount of charge-dropping changes the fact that you've been listed as an arrestee, in spite of the ultimate disposition.

That said, it shouldn't be a deal-breaker, as long as you disclose, and it's not pattern behavior (doesn't sound like it is) for you.

Comment

thanks for the info. I was just wondering if it would be too soon to apply next spring. Thanks for all the help. I was just thinking that the Procuring to Minors would seem pretty heavy to most BIs.
                        Last edited by hockey19; 02-19-2009, 09:31 PM.

Comment

AZ Pilot writes: Background investigators call agencies in your area and ask about how you appear in their records systems...that is, how many times you've been listed as a complainant, victim, suspect, arrestee, etc.

Just curious about what "agencies" are contacted? I work in public land records and can access city court and county records. There's also state bankruptcy databases. All these disclose various judgments, offenses, and problems. What other areas or agencies can background investigators access for information? Are these considered public records or not? Thanks.
                          [I]Our gift to the world is to show up and engage.-Steve Brown[I]

Avatar Photo Credit-David Attenborough

Comment

Background investigation methods vary. That said...

Many BI's will call the local law enforcement agencies, in all of the places you've lived, and ask them to run basic queries for your "appearances" in their systems. Prior to your investigation, most agencies will have you sign a pretty all-encompassing waiver and release, giving the department authority to investigate pretty much anything about you, and releasing the people who give information about you from liability for having done so. Many of the waivers also state that it's not their fault if facts come to light about the applicant which may be damaging to their careers, reputations, public standing, etc.

A BI can query any database that's public access (and many that are not), for the purposes of determining your suitability for a position. This means that if you've got anything that's not a secret, you're better off disclosing it. As we all know, if more than one person knows it...it's not a secret.

It's also been covered at-length on other threads here, that many BI's now request (and receive) records, profiles, and information from online sources such as MySpace, Facebook, etc. It's quite common now for a candidate to have to list the usernames and "screen-names" under which he or she functions on the 'net, as well as sites and forums to which the candidate posts (such as this one).

Everybody has something embarrassing, or an "oops" in their background, so don't stress excessively, just because you have a blemish. The severity of the blemish, applicability to your current lifestyle (did it happen 10 years ago, in a "stupid kid" phase, or last week?), and whether or not it was part of a demonstrable pattern of behavior, will mostly dictate the outcome.

Comment

'Disorderly Household' sounds like a pretty cool charge, I wish we had something like that.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5708 users online. 324 members and 5384 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X