300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIP/Open Container Charge

In April of 2008 I received an MIP, for starters. I was pulled over for not wearing a seat belt, the cop asked if there was anything in my car he should know about, and I told him there was a sealed bottle of liquor in the backseat. Emphasis on sealed. Anyway, he wrote me up for a first offense MIP. I plead guilty in court and paid the fines, and that was that. I moved down to TN about 2 weeks ago and applied for a delivery job where the employer said I was disqualified because I had an open container charge on my record. My question is: Is it possible for an MIP, when charged while driving, to translate into an open container charge? I'm a little confused because my ticket was written for an MIP. It seems to me that an open container charge, especially being underage, would be alot more serious. Thanks for the help.

What is an MIP?

Comment

I believe MIP is minor in possession. If thats what it means (we dont use that term here), then you were guilty of being a minor in possession of alcohol, opened or unopened. Are you sure that Minor in Possession and Open Container are one in the same? Based on what you are saying, it appears that you weren't charged with Open Container.

Comment

Okay. We frequently dispose of underage possession charges by issuing a open container citation. Maybe that is what happened to you.

Comment

Or the guy at the delivery job didnt know what it was you were charged with and just said "open container" when it should have been MIP

I guess my question to you would be..... what did you plead guilty to???? Did you read it or know what you were pleading to???

Comment

If the container is sealed it isn't open. A Minor in possession charge applies whether or not the container is sealed.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackavar
              What he said
              ditto... you got charged with it because you are a minor in the sense of 21, and alcohol laws. You said it was sealed, then its not OC, atleast in in Texas.
              Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Comment

Sounds like the employer got confused to the charge. Tennessee has an open container charge, but it is separate from the underage possession/consumption charge. Both are charges that lead to fines only (no incarceration).
                I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

thanks for the advice. I knew what I was pleading guilt to, it was an MIP I (minor in possession first offense), hence my confusion about the open container charge. thanks again.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6264 users online. 377 members and 5887 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X