300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something I've been curious about.

Is crime actually more frequent when there is a full Moon or is it just a myth? If so, what type of activity is it that increases?

Thanks.

There are a plethora of studies on that very subject and many can be found on google. Public safety personnel believe it to be so. Some scholars believe that it is all folklore.

I know that I used to take "full moon" days off so I wouldn't be found out!
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post
      There are a plethora of studies on that very subject and many can be found on google. Public safety personnel believe it to be so. Some scholars believe that it is all folklore.

I know that I used to take "full moon" days off so I wouldn't be found out!
      Thanks for the response. I use google for a lot of things, in this case I figured I'd have come across hundreds of impressions from folks that don't know it on such a first hand basis as the LEO on the street would. That's why I asked here, I wanted an answer 'straight from the horses mouth' as it were.

Comment

It's true it's true! 10-96 cases (mental subjects) come out in droves. As an aside, it also has to do with race cars. I used to own and race a stock car and on nights with full moons, the wrecks were amazing.

I saw once on TV it has somnething to do with the moon's gravitational affect on people and water (of which we are 90%) but who knows.
        The All New
        BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
        Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
        - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Our activity both mental and criminal in nature sure seem to increase.

Some may have to do w/ 1042 Trooper's last statement as well as all the myth's surrounding the full moon ( of which I enjoy most of all it's phases )

Another theory i'll advance is that it is easier for the nightime criminal element to practice their craft without alerting others to their presence through the use of artificial lighting or stumbling about in the dark and waking your neighbors four legged alarm system so easily IMO

Comment

I can't prove it scientifically, but yeah, all the wierdo's and truly goofy people do their stuff when the moon is full.

Comment

Sure seems so.

Comment

Yes, it's true. I know not only because of 11 years on the job but I also have 6 kids.

Comment

Interesting....

I've found that the cows come out to get me when there is a 1/2 moon.... imagine that.
                  1*

Comment

Originally posted by Chit2001 View Post
                    Interesting....

I've found that the cows come out to get me when there is a 1/2 moon.... imagine that.
                    Not trying to hijack, but hows the academy going ? Haven't seen you on much lately.

Comment

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper View Post
                      It's true it's true! 10-96 cases (mental subjects) come out in droves. As an aside, it also has to do with race cars. I used to own and race a stock car and on nights with full moons, the wrecks were amazing.

I saw once on TV it has somnething to do with the moon's gravitational affect on people and water (of which we are 90%) but who knows.
                      Yeppers the 5150's and 5149 1/2's go absolutely into crisis mode. Don't know why but it happens.
                      This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Agreed. All the loonies come out on a full moon.
                        While you're reading this, your enemy is training.
                        Speed is fine. Accuracy is final. Only hits counts. You cannot miss fast enough to catch up.

Comment

Think a full moon is bad?

Wait 'til you hit a FULL MOON on a HOLIDAY WEEKEND that also happens to be PAYDAY WEEKEND, and with a CHANGE IN WEATHER. (Hot to cold, cold to hot, wet to dry, dry to wet - - well y'all get the idea.)

Combine all of that, and brother, you get a full dose of "you ain't seen nuttin' yet"!

"Yes sir, I know you have rights."
                          "In fact, I know your rights better than you do!"

Comment

That's why crazy people are called "LUNAtics" !
                            sigpic
                            Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
                            And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

During a full moon it DOES seem like we're answering more, STUPIDER, calls.
                              The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                              that we are all that stands between
                              the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5482 users online. 311 members and 5171 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X