Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Washington police officers (have a couple questions)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washington police officers (have a couple questions)

The other night I was on my way home with my wife (we were coming back from having dinner @ her sisters house) when we got pulled over by a WA trooper. He comes walking up and asks do you know why I pulled you over and I reply no, he said that my windows were to dark and then proceeded to place a tint meter on my driver side window. The place that installed the tint used 20% I know this for a fact however he said the meter was reading 10% and then proceeded to issue me a citation.

Now regardless I know that it's not within the legal limits and I knew that there was a possibility that I would get a ticket, I'm not complaining and am going to pay the fine. My question is will this go on my record and will it effect my insurance? I asked the trooper these questions and he replied no it will not go on my record and will not increase my insurance.

This morning when I called the State Patrol office and the Country court house I was told different. They said that it will be on my record permanently and that it may increase my insurance so now I am a bit confused.

1) Will this effect my insurance

2) Will this permanently be on my record (that has been spotless for nearly 25 years)

3) If I leave the tint on and say I get another 1 or 2 citations down the road for the same thing will this compound the fine and or make it a more serious offense or is just the same amount each time.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

BTW the car is a 2003 Z06 vette.

Windo tint and other "equipment" violations generally do not carry points and thus do not effect your insurance. The violation will appear on your driving record as a citation but it wont matter becuase there are no points. Of course this is how it is done in MD. You may want to post the same question in the Washinton forum under the state forums. You will probably get an answer more specific to your state. I used to drive a Z28 and got stopped for tint and having no front tag (camaros and corvettes look stupid with front tags) so I can kind of feel your pain.

Comment

^^^ Thanks for the info.

Was hoping some more officers would chime in but looks like that ain't gonna happen lol.

Comment

Originally posted by DPH View Post
        1) Will this effect my insurance.
        Unlikely, this is an equipment vioaltion, but you'd have to check with your insurance company.

2) Will this permanently be on my record (that has been spotless for nearly 25 years)
        Law Enforcement can look back 5 years (might be 10), but employers, insurance etc can only go back 3 years on a driving abstract.

3) If I leave the tint on and say I get another 1 or 2 citations down the road for the same thing will this compound the fine and or make it a more serious offense or is just the same amount each time.
        Same violation, same fine, no compounding - but if I saw that you had received this ticket several times before, I might start looking for other things.
        "We're not in this business for the money. We're not in it for the excitement, and moments like this. Duty, honor, country, service, truth, and justice are good. But you can do that from behind a desk. In the end, you carry a gun and shield out into the field for the sole purpose of confronting the bad guys. The enemy. There is no other reason to be on the front lines." ~Nelson Demille

If your story involves Peanut Butter and an animal - give up now!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cgh6366 View Post
          Unlikely, this is an equipment vioaltion, but you'd have to check with your insurance company.

Law Enforcement can look back 5 years (might be 10), but employers, insurance etc can only go back 3 years on a driving abstract.

Same violation, same fine, no compounding - but if I saw that you had received this ticket several times before, I might start looking for other things.

Good info thanks!

BTW if I get pulled over again will tint citation automatically pop up on the officers computer?

Also if I remember correctly the trooper said that they are only concerned about the front windows "officer safety" if I leave the back dark and get the front's redone @ the legal limit (35%) will I be ok or do I stand a chance of getting nailed again?

Comment

It takes a while (month maybe) for it to get put in the computer and on your record (may not actually go on until final disposition is reached).

It's not automiatic that it will show up on the screen, it's an option the officer determines.

As far as which windows to tint etc, I'd go with what the trooper said or go to a reputable shop, they should know the legal limits - but front sounds right to me.

As far as getting stopped again - who knows.
            "We're not in this business for the money. We're not in it for the excitement, and moments like this. Duty, honor, country, service, truth, and justice are good. But you can do that from behind a desk. In the end, you carry a gun and shield out into the field for the sole purpose of confronting the bad guys. The enemy. There is no other reason to be on the front lines." ~Nelson Demille

If your story involves Peanut Butter and an animal - give up now!
            sigpic

Comment

The box was checked traffic not non traffic, is this normal for a tint citation?

Comment

Yes, because it is a traffic infraction. A non-traffic infraction would be something like opening or consuming liquor in a public place1

Comment

Thanks for the info guys!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6155 users online. 328 members and 5827 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X