Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bachelors degree in the airforce question.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bachelors degree in the airforce question.

Okay, I have a quick question that Ive tried to find the answer to myself but didn't turn out so well...So now im turning to the great people of O.com So here goes.

I was wondering if its possible to get the CORE classes for a bachelors degree out of the way while in the air force. Anyone got any answers?

Thanks!
    Last edited by shifty277; 09-14-2008, 09:21 PM.
    Cant wait to get out there!!!

Richard Francis 1948 - 2008
    Killed in the line of duty.

Originally posted by shifty277 View Post
    Okay, I have a quick question that Ive tried to find the answer to myself but didn't turn out so well...So now im turning to the great people of O.com So here goes.

I was wondering if its possible to get the CORE classes for a bachelors degree out of the way while in the air force. Anyone got any answers?

Thanks!

EDIT: I just realized that the air force website says they do have Community college...So sorry for taking up space on the forum lol...But if anyone has any incite about it, it would be appreciated!

Very easy to obtain your CCAF or BA while serving in the AF. Of course, it all depends on your career field. But then again, I know guys who are flyers and got it. The sky's the limit, in terms of educational opportunities. Also, with 100% TA, you'll pay very little out of your pocket for each class. There's a max per fiscal year ($4500) but it's still a sweet deal.

Good luck
    "Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." - Edmund Burke

“No strain on the crane, because the cable is able.” - Mr. Collins

Comment

Awesome! Thanks a bunch!! Nice first post by the way.
      Last edited by shifty277; 09-14-2008, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Tests

In addition to what Hardkoa said, all of your CLEP and Dantes tests are free. Once you finish your tech school, you will be done with most of your major for your AA degree (CCAF). Then you will need to take your general Ed classes. By going to your local library, you can review the study material, and then take the College Level Exam Program (CLEP) test for your general ed requirement. These are five tests, which if you score high enough, will give you 30 hours. The score needed, varies from school to school, but most colleges accept CLEP. Basic training satifies the physical training requirement of the AA degree. After you CLEP your General Ed, then you will need to take a management and a speech class (or take a Dantes Exam). In the civilian world, each test costs between $50 and $100, but while on active duty, its FREE!

I retired from the AF (quite a while ago), but I worked for the CCAF (and yes I did stay in a Holiday Inn).

I was able to complete two CCAF (AA) degrees, one Bachelor's Degree and One Master's Degree while on Active duty (22 years).

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for the help!

Comment

One of my last years in the Air Force I figured out how many credits I had taken to be included in my performance report. That year I earned 33 credits (18 were CLEP/DANTES). That was with shift work, volunteer work, family time, and many days staying at work 14 hours. So not only can you complete your core education you can complete all of your education. I got out of the military with two classes left for my BS degree. If 9-11 hadn't happened I would have completed it before leaving.

I also had a prior enlisted commander once who would say, "Don't tell me you can't finish your degree, I did." Later I found out he came in with only a high school diploma.
            But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

All great posts fellas. Yes, you should knock out your schooling as soon as you can. You're probably going to need to finish your CDC's prior to your supervisor allowing you to take on college courses, but, the sky is definitely the limit, and it's free. I was in for 11 years as an SP, 7 as a dog handler. 9-11 definitely made things hard, as I had to put school to the side due to longer/harder deployments, but I got out with my bachelors in CJ. CLEPS are definitely the way to go, a simple test, and the education office provides you with study material for it. Definitely take advantage of the free school...it'll help you in the long run, trust me. When I decided to get out, I had 11 yrs under my belt/supervisor experience, numerous accolades while serving, and a degree. Hard to place that on an LE application, and get turned away, unless you have some other "skeletons" in your closet. So, now I am in the best career in the world, at least that's how I truly feel, and will be back in the K9 world again shortly. Good luck brother, I hope the best for you and Thanks for serving.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6697 users online. 362 members and 6335 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X