300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TASER-poll for sworn officers.

I am a Swedish Police Academy cadet who is doing my senior year.
    During this year, me and a fellow cadet are going to do a inquiry about the TASER. In Sweden,
    law enforcement are not allowed to use the TASER yet. But things are moving and hopefully we
    will soon be able to use it. In 2004 the Swedish Board of Ethics, which is an advicing organ for the
    Swedish National Police board, said that the TASER cause deaths and it would be too many things
    for an officer to carry. They said that it would be difficult for the officer to decide what to use. The
    board also thought that the police officers would look "ready to fight". Right now we have a
    firearm (Sig Sauer P229), ASP-baton, OC-spray and of course handcuffs.

In October we are going to Santa Cruz, San Francisco and San Diego to study U.S LEO:s
    first-hand. Maybe we will meet!

If you would be kind and answer this poll, it would be VERY helpful for me. Please send a private message if you do not want your answers to be read by others.

1.Age?

2.Sex?

3.State?

4.Department?

5.Rank?

6.Years as a LEO?

7.Which TASER does your deparment issue? (TASER X26, Stinger etc.)

8.Are you always equipt with a TASER on duty?

9.Is every officer at your department equipt with a TASER? If NO, which are?

10.How long training do you have to become certified to carry the TASER?

11.Where is your TASER attached (holster in the belt, thigh-holster, stuffed in an ordinary pocket, in the car etc.)?

12.Do you have OC-spray?

13.If YES, do you feel you have a field of use for the OC-spray? When? If NO, why?

14.Have you ever deployed the TASER?

15.If YES, please describe the situation(s) (felony/misdemeanor, subject arrested, EDP, threat against yourself, other officer, third person or the subject herself)

16.Roughly, how close was the perpetrator when you deployed the TASER?

17.Has the TASER ever malfunctioned? Why? (missed the target, thick clothing, only one dart hit etc)

18.Do you feel more confident in your policework with the TASER, than you would have without it?

19.How effective would you rate the TASER between a scale from 1 to 10? (10 is perfect and 1 is useless)

20.Which would you choose between the TASER and OC-spray if you only could have one?

21.Have the TASER directly, or indirectly caused any physical injuries which you have noticed? (cardiac arrest, dental injuries, fractures etc)

22.Have you brandished (aiming at the subject etc) the TASER to a subject and him/her had complied with your directions, without deploying the TASER? How many times?

23.What TASER-policy does your department have? (passive resistance, active resistance, violence/threat against officer or third person, suicidal)

24Does your department/county/state has any written guidelines regarding the use of TASER? (laws, directions, guidelines etc).

25.How do you report the use of TASER? (written report, oral report etc)

26.Does your department do any statistics over TASER use?

27.Have you ever, in an life-threatening situation, felt that it was difficult to choose between the TASER and your firearm?

28.Do you feel that you have too many weapons to choose between?

It would be very helpful for me if you could send me reports made by your department, regarding the use of TASER.
    Like this from Green Bay PD: http://www.gbpolice.org/Taser%20Study.pdf

Thanks a lot in advance!

Be safe.

Olof Olofsson, Sweden.

Originally posted by Jecke View Post
    During this year, me and a fellow cadet are going to do a inquiry about the TASER. In Sweden,
    law enforcement are not allowed to use the TASER yet. But things are moving and hopefully we
    will soon be able to use it. In 2004 the Swedish Board of Ethics, which is an advicing organ for the
    Swedish National Police board, said that the TASER cause deaths and it would be too many things
    for an officer to carry. They said that it would be difficult for the officer to decide what to use. The
    board also thought that the police officers would look "ready to fight". Right now we have a

In October we are going to Santa Cruz, San Francisco and San Diego to study U.S LEO:s

If you would be kind and answer this poll, it would be VERY helpful for me. Please send a private message if you do not want your answers to be read by others.

1.Age?
    53 (retired, in Rserves now)
    2.Sex?
    not lately! Seriously, male
    3.State?
    Arizona
    4.Department?
    Phoenix
    5.Rank?
    Patrolman
    6.Years as a LEO?30
    [B]7.Which TASER does your deparment issue? (TASER X26, Stinger etc.)[
    x26
    yes
    field officers are (Patrol, motors, SAU (SWAT)
    10.How long training do you have to become certified to carry the TASER? 2 days ( I think), re-cert yearly

11.Where is your TASER attached (holster in the belt, thigh-holster, stuffed in an ordinary pocket, in the car etc.)?
    belt or external vest (officers choice)

12.Do you have OC-spray?
    yes
    13.If YES, do you feel you have a field of use for the OC-spray? When? If NO, why?
    Yes,at the officers discretion

Yes
    15.If YES, please describe the situation(s) (felony/misdemeanor, subject arrested, EDP, threat against yourself, other officer, third person or the subject herself)
    Felonies & misdemeanors & an EDP & an assault against another officer

16.Roughly, how close was the perpetrator when you deployed the TASER? approx 15ft. ( 5 meters)

17.Has the TASER ever malfunctioned? Why? (missed the target, thick clothing, only one dart hit etc)
    Yes, baggy clothing once produced inconsistent shocking.

18.Do you feel more confident in your policework with the TASER, than you would have without it?
    I feel it's better to have an additional tool, not necesisarily more confident.

19.How effective would you rate the TASER between a scale from 1 to 10? (10 is perfect and 1 is useless)
    Depends on the situation.

20.Which would you choose between the TASER and OC-spray if you only could have one?
    Taser

21.Have the TASER directly, or indirectly caused any physical injuries which you have noticed? (cardiac arrest, dental injuries, fractures etc)
    Other officers on my Dept have. Personally I've never experienced it.
    22.Have you brandished (aiming at the subject etc) the TASER to a subject and him/her had complied with your directions, without deploying the TASER? How many times?
    Yes.

23.What TASER-policy does your department have? (passive resistance, active resistance, violence/threat against officer or third person, suicidal)
    Passive resistence,although realistically I've never used it in such a situation
    24Does your department/county/state has any written guidelines regarding the use of TASER? (laws, directions, guidelines etc).
    Deptment GUIDELINES govern its use.
    25.How do you report the use of TASER? (written report, oral report etc) Written report followed by a supervisors "Use of Force" investigation & report

Yes.
    27.Have you ever, in an life-threatening situation, felt that it was difficult to choose between the TASER and your firearm?
    No.
    No.
    It would be very helpful for me if you could send me reports made by your department, regarding the use of TASER.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Be safe.

Olof Olofsson, Sweden.
    I would suggest you contact my Dept. or the Taser Co. directly for any reports on Taser deployment

Comment

1.Age?
      2.Sex?
      Male
      3.State?
      Texas
      4.Department?
      Austin PD
      5.Rank?
      Senior Patrol Officer
      6.Years as a LEO?
      3+
      X26
      Yes
      No. Patrol officers are issued and others on some specialized units. Investigavite positions don't.
      Don't remember for sure, but I think about 10hrs.
      Weak side carry on duty belt
      12.Do you have OC-spray?
      Yes
      Not sure what you mean
      No

Yes
      7-8
      Taser
      No
      Yes, many
      fleeing, active resistance or greater
      Yes, policy
      Written report
      Yes
      NO
      Never...more tools the better.... It's better to have it and not need it, rather than need it and not have it.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Be safe.

Olof Olofsson, Sweden.

Comment

1.Age? 36

2.Sex? m

3.State? CA

5.Rank? Officer

7.Which TASER does your deparment issue? (TASER X26, Stinger etc.) X26

8.Are you always equipt with a TASER on duty? Yes

9.Is every officer at your department equipt with a TASER? If NO, which are? Detectives, plain clothes, etc are not equiped. Patrol officers all have them.

10.How long training do you have to become certified to carry the TASER? Dont remember exactly but I think 6 or 8 hours.

11.Where is your TASER attached (holster in the belt, thigh-holster, stuffed in an ordinary pocket, in the car etc.)? In patrol I first had it on a thigh holster, but later moved to everybody having a belt holster. Now its in the saddlebag of my motor.

12.Do you have OC-spray? yes

13.If YES, do you feel you have a field of use for the OC-spray? When? If NO, why? Its another tool....taser doesnt always work.

14.Have you ever deployed the TASER? Yes

16.Roughly, how close was the perpetrator when you deployed the TASER? 10 ft

17.Has the TASER ever malfunctioned? Why? (missed the target, thick clothing, only one dart hit etc) Yes...dart not penetrating or sticking.

18.Do you feel more confident in your policework with the TASER, than you would have without it? Just another tool....it does help and is great, but still confident without it.

19.How effective would you rate the TASER between a scale from 1 to 10? (10 is perfect and 1 is useless) 9 mostly because of the compliance it gets when people see the red dot on their chest.

20.Which would you choose between the TASER and OC-spray if you only could have one? Taser

21.Have the TASER directly, or indirectly caused any physical injuries which you have noticed? (cardiac arrest, dental injuries, fractures etc) none

22.Have you brandished (aiming at the subject etc) the TASER to a subject and him/her had complied with your directions, without deploying the TASER? How many times? Many, many, many, many times. People are more afraid of the taser than of my gun. they know we cant shoot them but they can get tasered.

24Does your department/county/state has any written guidelines regarding the use of TASER? (laws, directions, guidelines etc). Policy

25.How do you report the use of TASER? (written report, oral report etc) Written report---mostly check the box type stuff

26.Does your department do any statistics over TASER use? Yes...every use is tracked.

27.Have you ever, in an life-threatening situation, felt that it was difficult to choose between the TASER and your firearm? No....life threatening is always my firearm.

28.Do you feel that you have too many weapons to choose between? No

Thanks a lot in advance!

Be safe.

Olof Olofsson, Sweden.
        Good luck

Comment

Thank you a lot for the answers.

Just a question, what is a saddlebag? And by motor, du you mean your patrol car? (sure it seems to be a stupid question, but remember, I am a foreigner )

Tried google "saddlebag", but I doubt you ride a horse while patroling the streets.

Thanks again.

Olof

Comment

"Motor" refers to MOTORcycle officers, "saddlebag" refers to the storage bags on the side of a motorcycle or is loosely used to refer to any bag used to carry extra equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by hemicop View Post
              "Motor" refers to MOTORcycle officers, "saddlebag" refers to the storage bags on the side of a motorcycle or is loosely used to refer to any bag used to carry extra equipment.
              Beat me to it

Here in the USA you will find most motorcycle officers refer to themselves and their motorcycles as "motors".

Comment

1.Age?

2.Sex?
                M

3.State?
                IN

4.Department?
                Albany Police Department

5.Rank?
                Patrolman

6.Years as a LEO?

X26

8.Are you always equipped with a TASER on duty?
                Yes

9.Is every officer at your department equipped with a TASER? If NO, which are?
                All, even reservists

8 hours of class/shoot it twice/take the ride

weak side cross draw

12.Do you have OC-spray?
                No

No

Yes

Already chose-TASER

No, the fall however...

Yes, three times.

Active resistance

No

Call for EMT, written report

Not yet.

No.

No.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Be safe.

Olof Olofsson, Sweden.

Comment

1.Age?
                  2.Sex?
                  m
                  3.State?
                  ms
                  4.Department?
                  sheriff
                  5.Rank?
                  deputy
                  6.Years as a LEO?
                  x26
                  yes
                  no,only certified
                  8 hrs class,shoot, ride the lightning
                  holster,weak crossdraw
                  12.Do you have OC-spray?
                  yes
                  gass station, lol
                  yes
                  mis, turned felony... fighting but i changed his mind
                  15ft
                  yes i actually hit someone and it barely put anything out
                  not really its just another tool
                  probebly a 5 like i said i had one not work for me and had to fight but then again if it does work its a beautiful thing
                  taser
                  deployed 6 times and nope
                  oh yea especially when word got out we would use it
                  no clue use it if you can justify the force used
                  yup
                  included in the offence report
                  nope
                  no question there you know
                  nope
                  Like this from Green Bay PD: http://www.gbpolice.org/Taser%20Study.pdfnot gonna be able to do that

Thanks a lot in advance!

Be safe.

Olof Olofsson, Sweden.
                  In god i trust everyone else gets run on NCIC

Comment

1.Age?
                    46 years old
                    2.Sex?
                    Male
                    3.State?
                    Indiana
                    4.Department?
                    City
                    5.Rank?
                    Sgt.
                    6.Years as a LEO?
                    X-26
                    Always while in uniform
                    Yes
                    One 8 hour class
                    Duty Belt weak side but forward
                    12.Do you have OC-spray?
                    Yes

Yes
                    Felony's-Misdemeanors-attack on myself and other officers,most of mine have been for persons resisting arrest.
                    Approximately 10 to 12 feet on average
                    Once I fired to close and had a dart deflect, I went hands on and conducted a drive stun that connected the circuit and was VERY EFFECTIVE.
                    Sort of. It is IMO another tool that is effective.
                    I have-Taser because it is much more effective.
                    Minor fall injury's on two occasions,bloody noses ect. They would probably have gotten those any way.
                    To many to count.
                    Passive resistance including verbal non compliance.
                    ???
                    Taser usage form/case report
                    No
                    No
                    No

Thanks a lot in advance!

Be safe.

Olof Olofsson, Sweden.
                    Bottom Line? I think the Taser is one of if not the top law enforcement invention in the last 80 years. They do not kill people and they save lives. I think any agency that does not issue Tasers is setting their selves up for a big time liability suit. I predict you will see this come up in the near future.
                    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

1.Age?

2.Sex?
                      Male

3.State?
                      Kansas

4.Department?
                      Sheriff's Office

5.Rank?
                      Class A Deputy

6.Years as a LEO?

X26

80% of the time

No. (all field officers, detention sgt's and segregation team members)

8 hours

Weak side on belt

12.Do you have OC-spray?
                      Yes

I don't understand this question

Yes

Subject was fighting with officers and would not place hands behind his back. Taser was deployed into his back to gain compliance. Subject complied after deployment

Point-blank

Not while I've been using it

Yes

Taser

Falls. I have seen several inmates fallwhen tased and one split his head open. But it was tase his or have 5 officers pile on him.

Yes. Word spreads quick. Criminals are afraid of it.

Policy says active resistance but generally you don't see it until active resistance.

No

Written narrative, Use of Force report, and a Taser deployment form

Yes

No

I don't think this is possible. The more tools the better.

Comment

1.Age? 25

2.Sex? Male

3.State? Maryland

4.Department? Havre de Grace PD

5.Rank? Patrolman First Class (PFC)

6.Years as a LEO? 2

7.Which TASER does your deparment issue? (TASER X26, Stinger etc.) X26

8.Are you always equipt with a TASER on duty? Yes

9.Is every officer at your department equipt with a TASER? No

If NO, which are? The newer guys who had TASER training

10.How long training do you have to become certified to carry the TASER? 40hrs, I think?

11.Where is your TASER attached (holster in the belt, thigh-holster, stuffed in an ordinary pocket, in the car etc.)? On my duty belt, weak-side carry

12.Do you have OC-spray? Yes

13.If YES, do you feel you have a field of use for the OC-spray? I would stick with Taser first...

14.Have you ever deployed the TASER? Yes

15.If YES, please describe the situation(s) (felony/misdemeanor, subject arrested, EDP, threat against yourself, other officer, third person or the subject herself) Subject who matched a description of a BOLO ran from me while I was conducting an investigation, he was warned, and I tazed him in the back of the head on accident. He ducked.

16.Roughly, how close was the perpetrator when you deployed the TASER? 10-15ft

17.Has the TASER ever malfunctioned? Never
                        18.Do you feel more confident in your policework with the TASER, than you would have without it? YES

19.How effective would you rate the TASER between a scale from 1 to 10? (10 is perfect and 1 is useless) 9

20.Which would you choose between the TASER and OC-spray if you only could have one? Taser

21.Have the TASER directly, or indirectly caused any physical injuries which you have noticed? (cardiac arrest, dental injuries, fractures etc) Nope

22.Have you brandished (aiming at the subject etc) the TASER to a subject and him/her had complied with your directions, without deploying the TASER? How many times? Yes, 5x

So far, whenever deemed neccessary to the USe-of-Force Continuum

24Does your department/county/state has any written guidelines regarding the use of TASER? (laws, directions, guidelines etc). Nothing out of the ordinary

25.How do you report the use of TASER? (written report, oral report etc) Reports...
                        26.Does your department do any statistics over TASER use? Nope

27.Have you ever, in an life-threatening situation, felt that it was difficult to choose between the TASER and your firearm? N/A

28.Do you feel that you have too many weapons to choose between? N/A
                        The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                        that we are all that stands between
                        the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Thanks again for the answers. Keep ´em coming

To clarify one question, which I probably is not that correct when it comes to the English language.

"13.If YES, do you feel you have a field of use for the OC-spray? When? If NO, why?"

What I mean with this question is if you feel that there is certain situations in which the OC-spray is more suitable to use than the Taser? Simply put, is it necessery to have the OC-spray in your duty belt, or is it just dead weight?

Again, thanks.

Comment

Thanks again for the answers. Keep ´em coming

To clarify one question, which I probably is not that correct when it comes to the English language.

"13.If YES, do you feel you have a field of use for the OC-spray? When? If NO, why?"

What I mean with this question is if you feel that there is certain situations in which the OC-spray is more suitable to use than the Taser? Simply put, is it necessery to have the OC-spray in your duty belt, or is it just dead weight?

Again, thanks.
                            IMO OC is dead weight. I no longer carry it on my duty belt. I keep some in my car mainly for dogs.

On my belt-holster/weapon,cuffs,ASP,flash light loop,small LED light,Taser,radio,spare magazine in pouch.
                            "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4526 users online. 267 members and 4259 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X