Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• michiganDT
    replied
    Originally posted by DAL
    You had better know the laws and policies of the state and city where you work. Advice from officers all over the country will not help you.

well yea, im sure whoever hires me will tell me most of what i need to know, i was just curious about the industry from an outsiders point of view who deals with it a lot, you guys might be able to tell me the downsides a potential employer may not want me to know.

Like, can I really make money at night impound? I did the math and one impound would pay me minimum wage for the night, but are impounds all that common from patrolling? They have about 15-20 complexes they patrol.

Leave a comment:

• DAL
    replied
    You had better know the laws and policies of the state and city where you work. Advice from officers all over the country will not help you.

Leave a comment:

• michiganDT
    replied
    Originally posted by LeanG
    Are you going to go after the bad tippers from your previous job?
    I knew I should have kept track of their plate numbers! I kept track of everything else:

Leave a comment:

• fedguy889
    replied
    Originally posted by michiganDT
    If I get a call for a traffic accident, it is my understanding that legally I have no more traffic rights than a normal civilian (I.e. obviously no treating my yellow/red lights like they are anything more than a roadside warning), however am I unofficially expected/permitted to speed (within reason) if the crash is causing a serious traffic hazard?
    I know this doesn't help you: But I love how the SHA guys in MD have red strobes AND sirens

Leave a comment:

• LeanG
    replied
    Are you going to go after the bad tippers from your previous job?

Leave a comment:

• btfp
    replied
    If you are duty tow, you may be permitted to ride the shoulder with your yellow lights. Speeding or blowing lights is a no no. Drive with caution. Wreck chasing to get there first, then riding the shoulder is a no no unless you know the cops in your area and they tell you to do it.
    If you are doing parking lot enforcement be careful. The sign says parking for Joe's all others towed. The guy will tell you he went to Joe's. Check with local laws as per the state you want to work in. Don't be a whore and stalk the lot and when the car comes in and the people go to the bakery across the street, they get their car towed. They may want to go to Joe's also. Be prepared for confrontations.
    I cannot tell you how many times police get called for this kind of behavior. Your employer can tell you whether you can drop the car and release it to the owner if it is an impound. Remember, this economy sucks. Not everyone has $100+ cash to pay you. They act impulsively. You are taking their livelihood. Their kid is sick, blah blah blah, out comes a weapon or you get punched. You will be threatened. If they see your truck parked at a later date, expect it to be vandalized. I've seen that happen too.
    Repos, check with the local laws. You may have to check with the PD letting them know where you will be but you just hook and go. Expect confrontations.
    Expect confrontations unless someone calls you specifically to tow your car. Then they are happy to see you.

Leave a comment:

• michiganDT
    started a topic Towing laws

Towing laws

Trying to get a job doing towing, may end up doing night impound patrol. Couple of questions:

Do I have to attempt to warn the operator first or can I just tow the car?

If they walk out and attempt to stop me, at what point is the car considered impounded, once I arrive and witness the violation or once its on the truck, or out of the parking lot? I've heard of paying to have them drop it on the spot so I am wondering at one point the car becomes in my posession.

If I get a call for a traffic accident, it is my understanding that legally I have no more traffic rights than a normal civilian (I.e. obviously no treating my yellow/red lights like they are anything more than a roadside warning), however am I unofficially expected/permitted to speed (within reason) if the crash is causing a serious traffic hazard?

Anything else I should know about patrolling for impounds or about the tow truck industry in general?

Thanks

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 18704 users online. 42 members and 18662 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...