Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All academies the same?

Hi Guys,

I was just curious if all academies are pretty much the same? I watched "The Academy" on fox last year and it seemed very militaristic for the LAPD County Sherrif's.. are they all like this?
    Trying to get on in NY...
    PM me if you hear of any upstate NY departments that are giving a civil service test.

The short answer is No. Quite a few agencies opt for the more relaxed Community College atmosphere for their academies. This is perfectly acceptable provided the Academy is teaching a currriculem approved by a given state's POST or similar agency. OTH, virtually every State Police/Highway Patrol,many counties and cities opt for the military model. Both approaches have valid points, and I won't get into them here. Both the military and the more relaxed academies produce excellent officers. My personal sense is, that a considerable level of dedication, even sacrifice, is required in both the military or more laid back setting. This dedication is required for both the academic and physical aspects of the academy. Both are challenges, and both require total focus. Just my .02

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
      The short answer is No. Quite a few agencies opt for the more relaxed Community College atmosphere for their academies. This is perfectly acceptable provided the Academy is teaching a currriculem approved by a given state's POST or similar agency. OTH, virtually every State Police/Highway Patrol,many counties and cities opt for the military model. Both approaches have valid points, and I won't get into them here. Both the military and the more relaxed academies produce excellent officers. My personal sense is, that a considerable level of dedication, even sacrifice, is required in both the military or more laid back setting. This dedication is required for both the academic and physical aspects of the academy. Both are challenges, and both require total focus. Just my .02
      Thought so Phillip, i knew the State Police was very military like here. I wasn't sure about county, etc.
      PM me if you hear of any upstate NY departments that are giving a civil service test.

Comment

It depends on where you are in the country.....our (LASD) academy is fairly high stress.....btw,,,the classes were TONED DOWN for the TV show......they also pretty much just showed the 'lightning rods' in each of the classes.....

Most academies in SoCal are pretty high stress, and are that way for a reason.....
        The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by juicesnn4e2
          no. some are better than others. and some sell out training for tv shows.
          And damb proud to be a graduate of the LASD "sell-out" Academy.
          "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

Can anyone provide information on the LAPD academy? I want to know day to day stuff..Like when you have to be there, what do you use for a water bottle, what are the lockers like, do you need a locking briefcase to take to class, how soon are you out of business attire and into uniforms? I'd appreciate any info!

Comment

All academies are different.

Comment

All academies in California teach to the same set of standards, as set forth in the Learning Domains, determined by California P.O.S.T. Now, how they reach the same goal, learning the domains and passing the associated tests, varies greatly and is very different from academy to academy.

How's that for a non-answer?......
                Vir rationem suorum gestorum libenter reddit,
                sive iustorum sive iniustorum.
                Eventus horum non detrectat,
                sed cum his cotidie vivit.

Comment

^^ IT works. That's what I figured. Thank's guys.. only time will tell.

Comment

Our (Federal) academy was laid back. We (the staff) figured you had already been investigated, interviewed, backgrounded, and the agency decided you were the kind of person we wanted. Our job was to help you get through.

In 9 years, I only flushed 1 student, who refused to participate in shotgun training (claimed a medical problem that had not be reported or documented. I think it was a lack of will.) Ran into the student several years later, who said they were not the type to be a FED, and realized that now.
                    "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                    John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by SupraRy View Post
                      Hi Guys,

I was just curious if all academies are pretty much the same? I watched "The Academy" on fox last year and it seemed very militaristic for the LAPD County Sherrif's.. are they all like this?
                      No, some are "in your face" like the one you see on tv while others are much different. Some academies allow the student to enroll himself and then seek a job while others require you to be employed by an agency and thus sponsored by it to attend (like mine). Many academies are day only events while others require overnight stay whereby you can't leave the campus until weekend (like mine). Some are very paramilitary and strenuous while others are student-friendly. Others still are a farse (like mine).

* like mine refers to the one I attended

I forgot to add that some academies have weekly tests only and some have a finaly culminating test (mine didn't). Some assign homework and other's don't (mine didn't). Some require physical training (like mine) while others don't.
                      Last edited by ArkansasFan24; 09-18-2008, 02:20 PM.

Comment

By the way, how long does the average academy training in the U.S. take (30 months over here)?

Comment

None of the U.S. Academies are as long as the German Academy. But as I understand it, you come out with a Degree, not just a state certification.
                          "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                          John Stuart Mill

Comment

In Texas, if you go 40 hours a week, you will usually finish in 17-18 weeks
                            sigpic
                            Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                              I disagree. I don't believe the "relaxed" setting academies should be allowed to exist. If you can't handle the physical and mental stresses associated with paramilitary academies, I really don't want you showing up on my calls.

The reason paramilitary academies exist is to prepare you for the rigorous job of law enforcement. I have seen WAY too many 50 pound overweight cops come out of the college setting getting winded just climbing out of a patrol car. It should be a crime to be an out-of-shape cop, you endanger the lives of every officer around you.

I don’t understand what possible advantage you could see in the college setting, the academics are identical and if anything the paramilitary setting has a more rigorous classroom expectation. Our academy required much higher grades to pass than POST requires and much more academic work including homework and term papers.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6078 users online. 327 members and 5751 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X