300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do cops take breaks?

Well, working 8-12 hour shifts, do you take breaks? Can you stop at a certain point to eat lunch, or lets say dinner. What if you have to use bathroom? Do you radio that in? How does it work? I've always wondered

Originally posted by mruiz46 View Post
    Well, working 8-12 hour shifts, do you take breaks? Can you stop at a certain point to eat lunch, or lets say dinner. What if you have to use bathroom? Do you radio that in? How does it work? I've always wondered

bigger departments you call out for lunch.

i work for a smaller department so we eat when we can, if we get a call, dinner is over. As far as bathroom breaks, go when ya have 2

Comment

Ever seen Smokey and the Bandit?

That's a 10-100 and a 10-200...

Comment

Originally posted by mdyoung7 View Post
        bigger departments you call out for lunch.

i work for a smaller department so we eat when we can, if we get a call, dinner is over. As far as bathroom breaks, go when ya have 2

When you say "call out for lunch" you mean you radio in and request a lunch break?

Comment

For me it's 10-6...

Comment

Originally posted by Hoosier_Boy View Post
            For me it's 10-6...
            What does

10-100, 10-200

10-6 mean???

Comment

Haven't you driven by a donut shop or a coffee shop? Perhaps a KFC or McDonalds?
              Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post
                Haven't you driven by a donut shop or a coffee shop? Perhaps a KFC or McDonalds?
                yeah.. i've never seen a cop on break in florida ever.. lol.

Seriously, whats the deal with breaks

Comment

The deal is any time I'm not on a call, or doing paper work, I'm on break.

Comment

We have to get in line for meals..the dispatcher will "okay" it..depending on the calls pending. Once your meal comes..you "go off" on the radio...that's when your 30 minutes start. If a hot call comes out...lunch or dinner is over. (That's why we hate being bothered during our meals) Throw down the money and head for your car.

If you have to go to the bathroom...do what you have to do. Some of us have to "park" while doing both 1 & 2. If it's going to be a long one...we normally call dispatch via the phone and let them know.

Heaven knows just as you get seated that hot call with YOU as the primary is heard over the radio.

There are those who don't do the aforemention....you know this when their voice echoes as they answer their radio.
                    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Originally posted by deputy x 2 View Post
                      We have to get in line for meals..the dispatcher will "okay" it..depending on the calls pending. Once your meal comes..you "go off" on the radio...that's when your 30 minutes start. If a hot call comes out...lunch or dinner is over. (That's why we hate being bothered during our meals) Throw down the money and head for your car.

If you have to go to the bathroom...do what you have to do. Some of us have to "park" while doing both 1 & 2. If it's going to be a long one...we normally call dispatch via the phone and let them know.

Heaven knows just as you get seated that hot call with YOU as the primary is heard over the radio.

There are those who don't do the aforemention....you know this when their voice echoes as they answer their radio.

Thank you thats all I wanted to know

Comment

40 man dept here.

On days and eves, they call out they are going to lunch, but still you can get interrupted by calls.

On midnites, we eat when we can.
                        The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                        that we are all that stands between
                        the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

I when I was a true cop, i.e. a city police officer, we worked eight hour shifts with no scheduled lunch or other breaks. It was understood that the down time between calls was enough of a break, plus you were allowed to run errands around town while you were at work like going to the bank, post office, cell phone place, etc. For lunch we just ate when we could if we could. If we wanted to go out and eat somewhere we'd usually check 10-10 (out of service, subject to call) on the radio and the dispatchers would send the next closest person instead of us. If you needed to get caught up on reports or take care of uniform issues, etc. you could check 10-6 (busy). Regardless, you got paid for eight hours.

The sheriff's office was the same way, but we worked 12 hour shifts.

Comment

We are alotted 30 minutes for a dinner break during our 10 hour shift. However, I pack a lunch every night because you never know when there's going to be a hot call as soon as you sat down for dinner and it's not even at the table.

I have been driving code 3 while eating a sandwich because lord only knows when the next time i'll be able to eat is. I think we've all had 16 hour days with no food/bathroom breaks and it sucks in this job!
                            "When I close my eyes.....I'll see you on the other side....!!!"

Hate to put it this way skippy, buy every night I suit up and climb in the cruiser I'm at war. I'm always outnumbered, potentially out gunned and always behind enemy lines.

Comment

What if you have to use bathroom? Do you radio that in? How does it work? I've always wondered
                              Yeah - we even have tell them if it's #1 or #2.

#2 gets priority.
                              The All New
                              BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                              Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                              - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7565 users online. 297 members and 7268 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X