Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College/Law Enforcement Question, Look !

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College/Law Enforcement Question, Look !

Hello, my name is Michael Ruiz. I'm 17. I currently live in Orlando Florida. Im in my first year of college. I'm majoring Computer Science. What i'm planning on doing is, joining the Florida Highway Patrol.

Now, what i'm thinking of doing is 5 months before I get my AA in Computer Science, begin the application process & hopefully get accepted to attend the academy. Now if accepted, I plan to pass the academy & all the other needed tests and begin working for the Florida Highway Patrol.

Then while working for the Highway Patrol, take 1-2 classes to work my way towards my bachelors degree in computer science & using the tuition plan they offer.

Do you believe what i'm thinking of doing I can do? I still have a year & a half to figure this all out, im just trying to get some feedback & opinions from ya.

Also, your wondering why i'm majoring in computer science? Well its a great degree to have, especially since now, we use computers for almost everything. Having knowledge with computers I think is a great benefit to any trooper/officer. Especially if in the future, they plan to go federal, which I am considering, but not in a rush to decide.

Also, I know the risks, I know the pay involved with this career. Im not joining Law Enforcement to get rich, but to do something that I love, and enjoy. I am really deeply serious about getting myself into this career.
    Last edited by mruiz46; 09-09-2008, 11:34 PM.

Actually at 17, that seems like a good plan to me. The only thing I see is possible scheduling conflicts when you are hired. I dont know FHP's schedule or workload. I know with the agency I work for, it is extremely difficult to attend school. It can be done but very difficult with the way our schedule works.

Comment

You'll probably want to check into online classes for your four year degree. I was able to complete my last year of college through an online program. Other than that it sounds reasonable and very doable.
      But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

Originally posted by kc12 View Post
        You'll probably want to check into online classes for your four year degree. I was able to complete my last year of college through an online program. Other than that it sounds reasonable and very doable.
        Some places (legitimate) allow you to get your degree online, without having to attend the actual school. That's what I'm doing now, since I'm stuck out in the boonies.
        “We don't disagree, you are wrong. Until you have a clue what you are talking about we can't disagree.” - cgh6366

Comment

Yeah, when I saw the site, I was thinking up that plan, im gonna call and found out the schedule, and ill post here.

Comment

I like the computer science degree, law enforcement needs diversity and everyone doesn't need criminal justice degree. 99% of agencies that want college don't care what its as long as you passed.

Your plan sounds good, can't beat having someone else pay for your college. If your up for it look into Air National Guard, its part time and it wil put cash in your pocket, give you the GI bill, and look good on a resume. Also its the air force and they are more tech savy than the other branches and you would fit in just fine. (Its not bunch of maniacs like the Marines )

Comment

Originally posted by wirefire2 View Post
              I like the computer science degree, law enforcement needs diversity and everyone doesn't need criminal justice degree.
              Me too. That's what I'm taking: Computer Science Programming.
              “We don't disagree, you are wrong. Until you have a clue what you are talking about we can't disagree.” - cgh6366

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6297 users online. 346 members and 5951 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X