Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firearms at night and Lying to LEO's

Have a couple of questions to ask...

1.) We were target practicing a while ago, and shooting until it got REALLY dark, well, the Sheriff's dept. came out and stopped us on our way into town asking if we had been shooting or if we knew who had...

-Is it illegal to shoot gun when it is late evening/dark in the country ON YOUR OWN PROPERTY?

2.) My dumb butt friend told the officer we hadn't been shooting, (so did his cousin who was in another vehicle)...and my friend had been busted for poaching before and was afraid of getting his gun taken away...thus he lied and told the officer that we hadn't been shooting...

then of course I had to tell the officer too that we hadn't been shooting and he said they'd have to "keep looking..." I feel pretty bad about it because I REALLY wanted to tell the other officer the truth (because I see myself as an officer too)...but I didn't want to see anything happen to my friend.

What would happen if my friend and I were caught in the lie? Also, if he came around again (the Deputy) and I came clean with him...would I get in trouble?

3.) I'm going to be a detention deputy shortly and wanted to know...for the interview/polygraph tests...will they ask if you've ever lied to a LEO?

Thanks for any/all help!

-btw, sorry if I rambled too much...
    Detention Deputy (In Process)

Deputy Sheriff/KS State Trooper (After Detention)

"Police arrested two kids yesterday, one was drinking battery acid, the other was eating fireworks. They charged one and let the other off." -Tommy Cooper

You can't choose your family BUT you can choose your friends.

Ya better start making wiser choices....my friend.
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

You didn't answer my questions though...

I realize what you say, and you are correct, but I would like my questions answered if at all possible?

"Police arrested two kids yesterday, one was drinking battery acid, the other was eating fireworks. They charged one and let the other off." -Tommy Cooper

Comment

Call the local law enforcement agency that has patrol responsibility for the area where you live and ask them if there is an ordinance or law against discharging a firearm on your own property. It is an easy question and they will give you the easy answer.
        Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

If you're concerned with making the lie you told right, and want it off your conscience, find the officer and talk to him in person. Apologize and explain. I've had people do that to me and it does make a difference, to me anyways. It might be hard to say it but it could make a difference to the officer himself and for your own peace of mind. Telling the truth the first time would've been the best choice but this is your next best option.
          My .02

Comment

Will I get arrested for obstruction or anything?

My big problem is I don't want anything on my record so I can be a LEO too...I just don't want him/them actually (there were 3), to be mad at me and arrest me for obstruction or lying to a police officer...but at the same time, I don't want them to worry about someone being killed or something like that because it was just us screwing around.

We were afraid they'd take our guns away because we were shooting after dark a little bit...NOW, I don't want them to arrest me/my friends for lying to them if I confess...

This REALLY sucks...I wanted SOOO badly to tell him but I didn't want the others to be arrested for lying to them...

Comment

What will happen if they find out we lied?

Comment

Well my friend YOU should have told the truth in the first place. Especially because you want to be a LEO someday. Our entire life is based on trust as police officers. You should indeed feel bad about lying to the Deputy. I don't mean to go off on you but seriously, set the example. DO NOT LIE TO COPS. To answer your questions:

You need to check with your local department to see what exactly the ordinance says. Its a simple answer I promise you.

If you were to call the Deputy up and tell him you lied would/could you get in trouble? It depends on the Deputy, technically it is against the law to lie to a LEO. If it was me, no you would not get in trouble but you can bet I would lecture you.

Bottom Line : Tell the truth the first time and all the time.

Your question #3 It depends on who is administering the polygraph. Questions will vary from department. Definitely do not lie on this!
                Last edited by OregonLawDawg; 09-09-2008, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Okay, understood LawDawg! "The truth the first time and ALWAYS!"

Thanks for answering my questions...now my next problem is deciding...(do you think I should come clean?) Because I haven't seen them in quite a while and think they just dropped it...(because this is a SMALL town in a very VERY quiet area).

I feel like crap...also, if I come clean and tell him the truth, will my buddies get into trouble?

What are the penalties for lying to LE?

Thanks for all your help.

Comment

Originally posted by FutureCop47 View Post
                    You didn't answer my questions though...

I realize what you say, and you are correct, but I would like my questions answered if at all possible?
                    Peer pressure can be increasing difficult to overcome...sounds like you knew what was right but didn't step forward with the truth. Would you have felt stupid, if someone REALLY needed help and the cops were wasting their time at your call? Or a cop got hurt or killed responding to a shots fired call?

We as cops get lied to everyday...funny thing is we KNOW when someone is lying. Don't worry about your buddies...worry about yourself. You are responsible for YOUR actions.

Instead of asking us..Do you think I should come clean? Make a decision for yourself! If you want to make it in this field..you have to possess the ability to make a decision. If you can't do it at your level now....how are you going to do it later? Most of our decisions are split second in nature...and failure to decide can result in death...perhaps your own.

This job is also about integrity.

Hmm..what is the penalty for lying to the cops??? You already know the answer.

Figuring it will just go away is a cop out. SOMEONE called the cops so your town isn't so small and very quite as you think.

Okay, I'm done. Just remember...it's easier to tell the truth than to think of a story to cover up the lie.

Good luck.
                    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Okay, I think you've helped me to think through this...

I appreciate everyone's help.

I'm not going to further address the issue with the deputies...I think they've dropped it...(you're right Deputy X 2, I still firmly believe that they KNEW we were lying to them but never did anything about it)

They saw our guns in the back of the truck and one (mine) wasn't for the current hunting season...so I'm pretty sure they knew.

Anyway, I've learned my lesson to not fire after dark (so I don't scare people). And I've DEFINITELLY learned to TELL THE TRUTH, ALWAYS!

I've made a mistake and learned from it, now I will move on...thanks everyone!

Comment

Just do better next time and don't do things that you have no idea about. It never hurts to ask. If you plan to be in LE please keep it honest.
                        My life is in GOD’s hands, and he hasn’t finished with me yet.

Comment

I doubt if there is any legal restriction on firing a weapon on your property. That still does not mean a officer could not stop you to see if you HAD been shooting. He/she does not know what you were doing, for all they know you just finished up murdering someone. And, there is no reason to lie.

In the rural county that I work we are getting a lot of city dwellers move out here. Many of those do not like firearms and have Obama stickers on their cars. One such city dweller recently moved down the road from me. I have lived in my home for 12 years and have my own range. I noticed when I was out shooting they (entire family) would drive by numerous times. Then they started calling dispatch. Guess who got the call? I am going to have a whole bunch of guys over in October for a machine gun shoot. Maybe my liberal city neighbors will move away!!
                          Last edited by j706; 09-11-2008, 07:17 PM.
                          "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

HAHA....I'd love to watch their reactions in October. Priceless.

Comment

then of course I had to tell the officer too that we hadn't been shooting and he said they'd have to "keep looking..." I feel pretty bad about it because I REALLY wanted to tell the other officer the truth (because I see myself as an officer too)...but I didn't want to see anything happen to my friend.

Dumb statement. You never have to lie. So what if your friends did. If you see yourself as an officer ,you have the wrong mentality.
                              John 3:16

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3466 users online. 219 members and 3247 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X