300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tinted Tail lights in OH

Ok, I'm thinking about tinting my tail lights. But I have a question of Is it legal?

I have seen alot of cars with them; and a couple with tinted headlights too, so thats why I ask. I have tried to find it through the Ohio code but can't find anything about tinting besides window tint.

Thanks in advance
    Stupid is as stupid does. Sometimes people win the Darwin Award.

Ohio motor vehicle laws are no different than any other state. Lamps lighted to the rear must be RED for tail and brake lamps. Red or amber for turn signals and low light emission for White license plate lamps. Headlamps are generally white. Turn signal lamps to the front may be white or amber.

HEADLAMPS

§ 4513.03. Lighted lights and illuminating devices required.

(A) Every vehicle upon a street or highway within this state during the time from sunset to sunrise, and at any other time when there are unfavorable atmospheric conditions or when there is not sufficient natural light to render discernible persons, vehicles, and substantial objects on the highway at a distance of one thousand feet ahead, shall display lighted lights and illuminating devices as required by sections 4513.04 to 4513.37 of the Revised Code, for different classes of vehicles; except that every motorized bicycle shall display at such times lighted lights meeting the rules adopted by the director of public safety under section 4511.521 of the Revised Code. No motor vehicle, during such times, shall be operated upon a street or highway within this state using only parking lights as illumination.

Whenever in such sections a requirement is declared as to the distance from which certain lamps and devices shall render objects visible, or within which such lamps or devices shall be visible, such distance shall be measured upon a straight level unlighted highway under normal atmospheric conditions unless a different condition is expressly stated.

Whenever in such sections a requirement is declared as to the mounted height of lights or devices, it shall mean from the center of such light or device to the level ground upon which the vehicle stands.

(B) Whoever violates this section shall be punished as provided in section 4513.99 of the Revised Code.

HISTORY: GC § 6307-76; 119 v 766(791), § 76; Bureau of Code Revision, 10-1-53; 129 v 232 (Eff 9-21-61); 135 v H 272 (Eff 11-21-73); 137 v S 100 (Eff 4-1-78); 144 v S 98 (Eff 11-12-92); 148 v H 484. Eff 10-5-2000; 149 v S 123, § 1, eff. 1-1-04.

TAIL LAMPS

§ 4513.05. Tail lights and illumination of rear license plate.

(A) Every motor vehicle, trackless trolley, trailer, semitrailer, pole trailer, or vehicle which is being drawn at the end of a train of vehicles shall be equipped with at least one tail light mounted on the rear which, when lighted, shall emit a red light visible from a distance of five hundred feet to the rear, provided that in the case of a train of vehicles only the tail light on the rearmost vehicle need be visible from the distance specified.

Either a tail light or a separate light shall be so constructed and placed as to illuminate with a white light the rear registration plate, when such registration plate is required, and render it legible from a distance of fifty feet to the rear. Any tail light, together with any separate light for illuminating the rear registration plate, shall be so wired as to be lighted whenever the headlights or auxiliary driving lights are lighted, except where separate lighting systems are provided for trailers for the purpose of illuminating such registration plate.

(B) Whoever violates this section shall be punished as provided in section 4513.99 of the Revised Code.

HISTORY: GC § 6307-78; 119 v 766(792), § 78; Bureau of Code Revision. Eff 10-1-53; 149 v S 123, § 1, eff. 1-1-04.
    TURN SIGNALS

4501-15-10 Directional signals.
    (A) Directional signals shall be constructed and installed so as to provide adequate and reliable illumination and shall conform to the S.A.E. “Standards for Turn Signal Lamps.”

(B) Any vehicle may be equipped and when required under section 4511.39 of the Revised Code shall be equipped with electric turn signals which shall indicate an intention to turn by flashing lights showing to the front and rear of a vehicle or on a combination of vehicles, on the side of the vehicle or combination toward which the turn is to be made. The lamps shall be mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable and, when signaling, shall emit white or amber light to the front and red or amber to the rear. Turn signal lamps shall be visible at a distance of not less than three hundred feet in normal sunlight. Turn signal lamps may, but need not be, incorporated in other lamps on the vehicle.

(C) Directional signals on any vehicle shall be located at a height of not more than eighty-three inches nor less than fifteen inches.

Effective: 08/11/2005

R.C. 119.032 review dates: 03/09/2005 and 03/09/2010

Promulgated Under: 119.03

Statutory Authority: R.C. 4513.19

Rule Amplifies: R.C. 4513.19

Prior Effective Dates: 11/17/66, 10/16/82, 7/23/01
    http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/4501-15
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

ok thanks for the quick response, its a no go for me then

Comment

Plus, although it may look "cool", it really reduces the visibility of your tail/brake/turn signal lights to the cars behind you. Personaly, I've replaced my brake light bulbs with brighter bulbs because I want to be seen and want it well known when my brake lights are on. Same for headlights, why would you want to reduce your visibility?
        sigpic

Comment

headlights i wouldn't tint, tail lights was just because it would be for looks

Comment

Brake, tail, and signal lamps (as well as head lamps, marker lamps, etc) are all certified as they are, any tinting changes light output and reduces effectiveness. Tinted head lamps or tail lamps are a great avenue for meeting new people (and maybe even exchanging autographs). I work a rear ender and the guy in front has in any way deminished the light output of his brake, tail, or signal lamps with tint ... he gets a ticket for sure (guy behind might get one too, depends on fact set).

Yes, I am familiar with some few cars who have factory tail lamps that look tinted, but they are designed as such and passed and certified, and those brake, tail, and signal lamps show up very well.

I like my head lamps to be effective without blinding that grandma coming the otherway, and I want my brake, tail, and signal lamps to be effective as well. Don't need no body up my arse.

Last edited by t150vsuptpr; 09-10-2008, 01:34 PM.
            "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

Originally posted by Simply Shane View Post
              headlights i wouldn't tint, tail lights was just because it would be for looks
              I suppose you could do it and probably dodge to po-po as they generally have better things to do. But be prepared to have your pants sued off you for operating with illegal and unsafe equipment when you cause an accident because your brake lights won't get an inattentive driver's attention.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5555 users online. 324 members and 5231 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X