300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entry Level Federal Jobs?

Can anybody give me a list of Entry Level (Straight from college, no experience needed) Federal Jobs that hires someone fresh out of college with a Bachelors/Masters Degree in Criminal Justice?

I used google but I really didn't get to far.

I know a couple so far (USPIS & OIG)

Have you worked anyplace (Even flipping burgers at the local burger joint)?

I think most require you to have at least had a job doing something, not necessarily in LE.
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

keep in mind that even though the list of MINIMUM qualifications may say you can apply, that doesn't mean you will be hired. I know very few who have been hired without some work experience. It happens, but not often.
      The Republicans need to shrug off this Christian Coalition noose it has placed around its own neck and recognize the fact that, though they may not realize it, the majority of Americans are actually quite libertarian in their philosophy. They also need to learn to fight once in a while. What a bunch of wimps.
      -Neal Boortz

Comment

Originally posted by detective42 View Post
        Can anybody give me a list of Entry Level (Straight from college, no experience needed) Federal Jobs that hires someone fresh out of college with a Bachelors/Masters Degree in Criminal Justice?

I used google but I really didn't get to far.

I know a couple so far (USPIS & OIG)
        Federal jobs in general or Federal Law Enforcement jobs? Go to www.usajobs.gov and you will find either, including the requirements. You can also apply online right on the website. A lot of jobs don't require experience and your degrees will do.

P.S. Do yourself a favor and don't go to OIG for your first "law enforcement" job. A lot of the work they do is what would be considered "internal affairs" work and I wouldn't reccomend you start your career there.
        "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

Comment

Air Force Officer
          Army Officer
          Marine Corps Officer
          Navy Officer
          Coast Guard Officer.

The Highest Paying Entry Level Jobs in the Government.

M-11
          “All men dream...... But not equally..
          Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
          but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
          for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Thank you guys for your help!!!

Comment

Originally posted by M-11 View Post
              Air Force Officer
              Army Officer
              Marine Corps Officer
              Navy Officer
              Coast Guard Officer.

The Highest Paying Entry Level Jobs in the Government.

M-11
              Sorry, but that's simply not true.

Let's take an example.

Denver/Aurora, Colorado. Home of Buckley AFB.

A Postal Inspector in Denver would start as a GS-10/Step 1 and get LEAP. In Denver/Aurora that's $68,510 a year.

A civilian AFOSI Special Agent would start as either a GS-7/Step 1 with LEAP making $55,780 a year, or as a GS-9/Step 1 with LEAP making $62,212 a year.

Assuming our brand new 2Lt could get an equivalent LE job in the military with AFOSI as a Special Agent at Buckley AFB, he'd be earning $48,653/year including BAH with dependents (he'd get less without dependents), and BAS.

Even if our intrepid new O-1 in the military were in a flying job where he got Aviation Career Incentive Pay (ACIP) he'd still only make an additional $1,500 his first two years. Putting him at a grand total of 52,153 per year. Trailing behind all the 1811 jobs out there that start entry level applicants at GS-7,9 or 10.

Being a military officer is no where near the highest paid entry level job in the federal government. Hell, the new 2Lt doesn't even make as much as an entry level SA with AFOSI.

Comment

Good Call.

I actually forgot those types of jobs are considered "Entry Level" because I have only met 2 or 3 people who got those positions without years of experience.

My Bad

M-11
                Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;

TE Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by M-11 View Post
                  Good Call.

I actually forgot those types of jobs are considered "Entry Level" because I have only met 2 or 3 people who got those positions without years of experience.

My Bad

M-11
                  Really I'm shocked. I know several civilian OSI agents who got hired straight out of college. Some were PALACE ACQUIRE hires, and some were hired on the regular open announcements. I know a few Postal Inspectors, ICE SAs, USSS SAs, and a couple DEA and ATF SAs, and who all got hired straight out of college. I will say this though, most of the ATF and ICE agents that fit that bill usually had done an internship in college with a federal agency, and usually it was the agency the ended up hiring them.

Hell, I picked USPIS and AFOSI as examples because I've met so many that were hired straight out of college.

Comment

In My FLETC Class we had 6 ROTC 2 LT's and 1 college direct Civ Hire.

I'm just betting the concentration of 1811's in your area makes it easier to see the pool. I spend half my time at Overseas bases, and the other half in OEF so most of the Civilians I work with have pretty extensive backgrounds.

M-11

TE Lawrence

Comment

Your surest bet at the moment for a FLE position is US Border Patrol. BP will have to hire 3.5 to 5+K agents over the next couple of years to reach/mantain their numbers goal.

Comment

So about the AFOSI are you Criminal Agents? Are they field agents? Do you have to work overseas or can you apply to stay in America? I may end up going into the AFOSI then probably gaining some experience there learning a new language or two then couple years later applying for another Federal Job.

Comment

Well I think I get the jist of this, the NCIS normally hire civilian people (Information I gathered from another police forum and the NCIS website) so now I may be looking in to that.

Is this a good idea? I'm going to get my masters in CJ/Law and I'm going to learn a couple of languages I'm already fluent in Spanish (learned in H.S.) and I need about another year in French and then I would be considered fluent. Farsi and Arabic are good languages right?

Comment

Originally posted by ROSchwoe
                            I'm sure Muslims would say Arabic is the best language. Hebrews might argue with that, though.

Lol!

Comment

Originally posted by detective42 View Post
                              So about the AFOSI are you Criminal Agents? Are they field agents?
                              They are "Special Agents" (SA) who conduct criminal investigations in the areas of General Crimes, Counter-Intelligence, and Fraud. The civilian agents are employed in the GS-1811 job series, which is the federal job code for Criminal Investigators (aka Special Agents). The same job code as FBI SAs, USSS SAs, ATF SAs, ICE SAs, US Postal Inspectors, etc, etc.
                              Do you have to work overseas or can you apply to stay in America?
                              Agents are at bases in the US and overseas. I'm not sure what the current policy is on how agents are assigned overseas. Maybe M-11 can answer that better.
                              I may end up going into the AFOSI then probably gaining some experience there learning a new language or two then couple years later applying for another Federal Job.
                              Sure, because AFOSI is so easy to get into, and they will just spend tons of money and about three years time sending you to DLI for two different languages.

Let me put this into perspective, you would have better odds of getting into pilot training with the Air Force as a brand new military officer than you would for getting into AFOSI as a brand new officer. IMHO, it's slightly easier to get an 1811 job with OSI than it is to get a military agent slot as a brand new Lt, but it's still VERY competitive.

Don't display that kind of arrogant, "I'll get this job as a stepping stone to something else" attitude at your interview, whether it's OSI or some other agency, or you'll have a very hard time ever getting hired, by anyone.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5193 users online. 339 members and 4854 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X