Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I understand your concerns, but IMHO you're worrying far too much. Put the girlfriend deal behind you, and let it be a learning experience. Get the degree, and compete for a position with the an agency. Starting at 27 a problem? No way. You'll have ample time to build a solid career with an ample retirement.

Comment

I'd go ahead and apply to agencies and see what happens. If it were me, I'd certainly re-evaluate the relationship with the girlfriend and consider making a change there, too.
      Three Stripes beats Four Aces.
      Retirement: You've Won the War when you're Paid to Stay at Home.

Comment

You have a ton of time. Keep your nose clean and learn to control your emotions and reactions. In my academy we had a guy who was 56. Best of luck.

Comment

How exactly were you forced to disclose of this incident?

Just curious.
          Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCTNT View Post
            How exactly were you forced to disclose of this incident?

Just curious.
            Errr....I've seen on some apps the statement (or at least something simular to it)....

"Have you ever committed any of the following crimes but not been arrested or charged by a LE Agency or a Court of Law...?" Then they rattle off a bunch of stuff like stealing from an employer, stealing from family/friends, DV, DUI, vandalism, buying a hoe, smoking/using drugs, driving like a dumbass, leaving the scene of an accident, etc.......

If you don't answer truthfully......one will get kicked in the ding-dong during the poly.....

Comment

Originally posted by juicesnn4e2
              thats really wack. you didnt get arrested, and there was no reports made. i think you should rethink this whole experience in your head, and re answer these questions to your favor.

Really? The train of thought is if you didn't get arrested, it didn't happen? The purpose of the background is to determine your character and honesty. The poster answered the question honesty. It's not unusual to be asked if you've been involved in a DV situation or if you've done something that, if discovered, could have led to your arrest.

To the OP: The Chief gave you excellent advice.
              sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                Errr....I've seen on some apps the statement (or at least something simular to it)....

"Have you ever committed any of the following crimes but not been arrested or charged by a LE Agency or a Court of Law...?" Then they rattle off a bunch of stuff like stealing from an employer, stealing from family/friends, DV, DUI, vandalism, buying a hoe, smoking/using drugs, driving like a dumbass, leaving the scene of an accident, etc.......

If you don't answer truthfully......one will get kicked in the ding-dong during the poly.....
                Exactly. I knew it was best to tell the truth, get DQ'd, and have to wait a long time before getting hired than to lie, get caught on the poly, and never have a career. It's common sense.

I'm waiting for the next semester of school to start, which isn't until January. I'm thinking about getting my AA Degree and applying to a couple agencies to see what happens. If it doesn't work, I'll continue to get my Bachelor's Degree and then try applying again after that.

Another growing concern is how the situation with my ex-girlfriend will affect future relationships. That's on me, I guess.

Thanks to all of those who responded. I appreciated the advice.
                Last edited by rapidarp; 09-14-2008, 09:23 PM. Reason: Spelling
                *Not an LEO (yet), just working on my Bachelor's Degree while being a Volunteer in Police Service (VIPS) at my local PD.

Comment

i dont think he should be dq'ed. so if basically your all saying, he shouldnt have a job because he threw 1 punch in defense of himself? thats gay

Scott, You're only 23 and many of us here already question your being a LEO to start with. You're not helping yourself out by giving bad advice. If by some miracle you actually went from NY to GA, graduated the academy AND got hired in that short amount of time, one would think you'd be smarter than that.

We are saying he shouldn't lie, something you apparently advocate given this post and others you're making.
                  sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

But its not really lying. Because he didnt assulat her, he just defended himself. and he shouldnt be DQ for that... do you think he should?
                    As the OP stated, the question was phrased as "Have you ever hit or physically overpowered a spouse of romantic partner?"

If he said "no" to the question, he would be lying. It doesn't matter if it was in self-defense or not, he still hit her. Therefore he answered truthfully, as he should have. Considering the circumstances, I don't think it would be a DQ, since he also said she had hit him several times to begin with. Then again, I've been known to be wrong.

To the OP... your Chief gave you excellent advice. Take it for what it's worth and try again when your education is complete. You shouldn't have a problem with being "late in the game."
                    sigpic

Comment

i still think its wack and he should have just said. i only hit a woman in self defense
                      Actually, during one poly, after I told the investigator what happened, he said, "So self-defense basically, right?" and I said, "Yes." I passed the poly but failed background.

Oh well, what's done is done. I'll get my degree and try again. By then there should be enough cushion between me and that incident. Should be easier getting hired then.
                      *Not an LEO (yet), just working on my Bachelor's Degree while being a Volunteer in Police Service (VIPS) at my local PD.

Comment

The oldest person to graduate in AZ from ALEA was like 50 something. Your never too old.
                        Why do people think they have the right not to listen when they are told to roll a window down or unlock a door?

Comment

well... maybe you failed something else other than that?
                          All around, I was fine. I had a decent job, no criminal record, no accidents, no citations, nothing. I asked a buddy of mine that works for that department and he said the criteria that is common to DQ people on can't be based solely on work history......so that eliminated my only concern.

Other than that, I dont know what else there'd be. Usually when I mention the incident to either the poly guy or the BI, they go from this jolly look to a state of "uhhhhh...." and then it all goes downhill.

Comment

Originally posted by wirefire2 View Post
                            You can earn your BA in less than 3 at non-traditional school. And I'm not talking about online classes either.
                            Hey, what's wrong with on line courses

Comment

But its not really lying. Because he didnt assulat her, he just defended himself. and he shouldnt be DQ for that... do you think he should?
                              Not really lying ??!! Is that like not really pregnant??!!

Comment

i still think its wack and he should have just said. i only hit a woman in self defense
                                Due to the lack of proper grammar, spelling errors and the just plain lack of common sense, I think you should take the advice posted to the OP; go to school, get an education and move on from there.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5893 users online. 349 members and 5544 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X