X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I throw in the towel...

...before my career has even starts?

A little backstory:

I'm 23yrs old right now. Last September (2007), my girlfriend and I had a huge fight at my house (she has depression and was off her meds). Long story-short, after she attacked me and hit me a few times I lost control and punched her in the shoulder (enough to hurt for a minute, but there was no bruising or anything). No cops were called nor was any medical attention sought. Now, don't get me wrong, I knew I was dead in the water as soon as it happened. I couldn't believe I did it, let alone kiss my career goodbye. We calmed down, talked things out, and eventually we decided to go out separate ways (for reasons not relating to this incident).

Now, i'm forced to disclose this information during my backgrounds. I've applied with 6 agencies for Reserve, and 2 for full-time sponsorship........still sitting here waiting. I know for a fact, 2 agencies turned me down because of this incident. The others I just assume did the same.

Fast forward to today:

This is especially hard on me because I've been an explorer and and currently an adult volunteer at my local PD (I have 7yrs of service so far). I had a sit down talk with the Chief today (who previously discussed my DQ with me) and sought some advice from him on what to do. He suggested I put anywhere from 2-4yrs between me and the incident. He said that in the meantime, I should continue to apply myself as a volunteer, get my Bachelor's Degree, and maintain good performance at my job, and try again down the road.

Here's the problem. I'm 23 now, but by the time I get a BA degree (4yrs) i'll be 27. Add 6months for the academy and a year of patrol (probation) and that leaves me with roughly 21yrs of service that I can accomplish. If I lateral somewhere else, that adds two years with the first department, leaving me 19yrs left to serve.

I guess my question, really, is is this still worth it even though I'm coming in rather late (late to me, anyway)? I mean, what's the normal amount of time one puts into this career? Any other suggestions? I'm a young mind, go easy on me.
    *Not an LEO (yet), just working on my Bachelor's Degree while being a Volunteer in Police Service (VIPS) at my local PD.

are you kidding me? In my academy class we had a 41 year old and he graduated.

Its never too late. 20 years is still a good career, there is no normal career time. Not sure where you got that from. I would certainly do what the chief said, put 2-4 years inbetween that incident. Getting your BA will help you a lot too

Comment

Originally posted by rapidarp View Post
      ...before my career has even starts?

A little backstory:

I'm 23yrs old right now. Last September (2007), my girlfriend and I had a huge fight at my house (she has depression and was off her meds). Long story-short, after she attacked me and hit me a few times I lost control and punched her in the shoulder (enough to hurt for a minute, but there was no bruising or anything). No cops were called nor was any medical attention sought. Now, don't get me wrong, I knew I was dead in the water as soon as it happened. I couldn't believe I did it, let alone kiss my career goodbye. We calmed down, talked things out, and eventually we decided to go out separate ways (for reasons not relating to this incident).

Now, i'm forced to disclose this information during my backgrounds. I've applied with 6 agencies for Reserve, and 2 for full-time sponsorship........still sitting here waiting. I know for a fact, 2 agencies turned me down because of this incident. The others I just assume did the same.

Fast forward to today:

This is especially hard on me because I've been an explorer and and currently an adult volunteer at my local PD (I have 7yrs of service so far). I had a sit down talk with the Chief today (who previously discussed my DQ with me) and sought some advice from him on what to do. He suggested I put anywhere from 2-4yrs between me and the incident. He said that in the meantime, I should continue to apply myself as a volunteer, get my Bachelor's Degree, and maintain good performance at my job, and try again down the road.

Here's the problem. I'm 23 now, but by the time I get a BA degree (4yrs) i'll be 27. Add 6months for the academy and a year of patrol (probation) and that leaves me with roughly 21yrs of service that I can accomplish. If I lateral somewhere else, that adds two years with the first department, leaving me 19yrs left to serve.

I guess my question, really, is is this still worth it even though I'm coming in rather late (late to me, anyway)? I mean, what's the normal amount of time one puts into this career? Any other suggestions? I'm a young mind, go easy on me.
      Your chief has given you some good advice, head it. Stay clean and get your education completed. I started in the profession at 26 and will work until I cannot drive ( a desk) no more........don't give up

Comment

Thanks for the replies and advice so far. Come to think of it, it's September already. That means when I finish my BA Degree it will have placed 5yrs between the myself and the incident, not 4. That's even better.

Anyway, I can't believe I thought about giving up. Guess I needed advice from a few others too. Thanks guys. Stay safe out there.
        *Not an LEO (yet), just working on my Bachelor's Degree while being a Volunteer in Police Service (VIPS) at my local PD.

Comment

You can earn your BA in less than 3 at non-traditional school. And I'm not talking about online classes either.

Comment

Just a little secret, they don't euthanize you when you turn 50. You should have many more years left.
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
              Just a little secret, they don't euthanize you when you turn 50.
              LMAO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                Just a little secret, they don't euthanize you when you turn 50. You should have many more years left.
                My first thought was "Oh ****, did they institute the 'Bladerunner' law?"

What are you talking about? 21 years of service after probation? Huh? Add 2 years for lateral? 19 years of service? Me thinks that you got some misinformation somewhere.

You do realize that not only are you paid on probation, but it goes towards your retirement, right? It's also 1 year of experience. And whatever retirement you set aside at job #1 can go to job #2.

And if you get onto patrol at 28, you can have another 32 years of service. Or 42 years of service. You could start law enforcement at 40 and serve more than 21 years if you want. I went through the academy with a friend who started at 41, finished at 42, and is 49(?) now. He loves it.

So I guess I'm confused by your post as a whole.

Comment

I don't understand why you are DQ'd. You were attacked and defended yourself. You weren't convicted of DV. It may be different in Cali, but I don't see it being an issue here.

Comment

No cops were called nor was any medical attention sought.
                    Looking for clarification. No cops were called? Were you charged?

Now, i'm forced to disclose this information during my backgrounds.
                    For the officers.....If he was never charged, would he have to disclose this information during a background questioning?
                    Last edited by Tucker6900; 09-09-2008, 10:01 AM.
                    The Red, Bold, Italic is my official sarcasm tag.

"I think many years ago an advanced civilization intervened with us genetically and gave us just enough intelligence to develop dangerous technology but not enough to use it wisely. Then they sat back to watch the fun. Kind of like a human zoo. And you know what? They're getting their money's worth"
                    George Carlin

Comment

I don't understand that part either, unless the background asks, "Have you ever hit anyone?"

Comment

Go for it!

Originally posted by SpecialBlend View Post
                        are you kidding me? In my academy class we had a 41 year old and he graduated.

Its never too late.
                        I know it's not quite the same, but I just graduated in May this year, and I'm 52! My wife calls it my midlife crisis. I know that there is no way that I can retire with benifits (as a peace officer), but this is something I have always wanted to do, so I am doing the reserve route, and doing my part.

Comment

Originally posted by Tucker6900 View Post
                          Looking for clarification. No cops were called? Were you charged?

For the officers.....If he was never charged, would he have to disclose this information during a background questioning?

No, charges were ever filed, no cops called. Nothing legal-wise happened. In the background packet here in CA, there is a section that asks "Have you ever hit or physically overpowered a spouse of romantic partner?" I clearly stated to all background investigators and polygraph examiners that she was only my girlfriend at the time and that she hit first. Apparently, that didnt matter and they still DQ'd me for hitting her.

My focus now is just keeping clean and straightening out my background. That was the first and the LAST time and incident like that will ever happen with me.

Comment

No, charges were ever filed, no cops called. Nothing legal-wise happened. In the background packet here in CA, there is a section that asks "Have you ever hit or physically overpowered a spouse of romantic partner?" I clearly stated to all background investigators and polygraph examiners that she was only my girlfriend at the time and that she hit first. Apparently, that didnt matter and they still DQ'd me for hitting her.

My focus now is just keeping clean and straightening out my background. That was the first and the LAST time and incident like that will ever happen with me.
                            Well thats too bad. I hope it works out for you. Hang in there. Good luck!
                            The Red, Bold, Italic is my official sarcasm tag.

"I think many years ago an advanced civilization intervened with us genetically and gave us just enough intelligence to develop dangerous technology but not enough to use it wisely. Then they sat back to watch the fun. Kind of like a human zoo. And you know what? They're getting their money's worth"
                            George Carlin

Comment

Well, at least they are opened minded. That sucks. Have you thought about going out of state?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7804 users online. 454 members and 7350 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X