Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what everyone does with their old vests?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what everyone does with their old vests?

sparring from the "vest" thread, I was curious what many of you guys do with your expired vests?

I gave mine to a friend of mine whose brother works night security on some bad properties. There was one officer I worked with who stuffed his old vest in the inner door panels of his personal car. (we sometimes have to use our personal vehicles when making our contacts, serving warrants w/ PD etc. etc.)

not a bad idea...

first off ill be (blank) if im going to use MY car for the dept to serve warrents and as for the vests your dept must have a nice budget to just give you the expired vests to shove in a door and so on. my dept turns them in to the company they are from and gets discounts on new vests
    In god i trust everyone else gets run on NCIC

Comment

We donate ours to smaller agencies that cannot afford to buy their officers a vest. Some small counties or even city angencies don't pay well and 800-1000 for a vest is a months salary. A good condition but out of date vest is better than no vest.

Comment

It's embarrasing to say, but we destroy about 1000 old vests every year (a 6000 sworn agency where vests are replaced every five years).

Our attorneys told the brass we could be sued if we gave one away and someone got shot and injured with one that failed.

(And, yes, we below the high command level all think we have an idiotic policy).
        Last edited by Group 29; 09-09-2008, 07:23 AM.

Comment

I gave one to an officer who couldn't afford to buy one, took another to the range and shot it up and I keep another around the house and generally wear it on my off duty LP job.

Comment

What really should happen is the old vest should be used to line the doors of squad cars or sent to the US Military so they can use the kevelar to reinforce their vehicles.
            "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

I heard of a department where they pulled the sheetrock off all of the walls by reception and stuffed them full of old vests, then slapped the sheetrock back on. Not a bad idea!
              He who feels punctured must once have been a bubble. --Lao Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by C-15 View Post
                first off ill be (blank) if im going to use MY car for the dept to serve warrents and as for the vests your dept must have a nice budget to just give you the expired vests to shove in a door and so on. my dept turns them in to the company they are from and gets discounts on new vests
                Not a nice budget....(remember, we have to use our own vehicles....sometimes...)

but we are also not in Mississippi. A lot of agencies have funding every 2-3 years or so for renewal of vests...or allowances for officers to purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightshift va View Post
                  What really should happen is the old vest should be used to line the doors of squad cars
                  At this point, I have already given 2 away....(one passed down from another officer to me, and another was bought on craigslist and passed to a friend's brother for security.) There is no way I'm getting rid of my current vest lol....no lining the cars with this one.

Comment

i used to keep one behind the driver seat between the seat back and the cage. maybe i'll put it back.
                    Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

I sell mine to some local bangers who inturn use them to commit more crime.... seriously though ours go to our reserve program for them to use.

Comment

Ours go to the range to get shot up for fun/training and the trash
                        The greatest misconception in police work that gets more officers killed is alot of cops are still taught to use the "minimum force necessary". In reality a true professional will always resort to the "Maximum Allowable Force" to resolve a situation. They mean the same thing, however one is a restriction and the other is an empowerment.

Comment

I know a bunch of ours go to the academy and are worn by recruits as a required part of the uniform.
                          The DA/SA handgun: A NAZI solution to a problem that didn't exist!

Comment

I believe we turn our old ones in. We replace them every..what...5 yrs?
                            The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                            that we are all that stands between
                            the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MCAPO View Post
                              Not a nice budget....(remember, we have to use our own vehicles....sometimes...)

but we are also not in Mississippi. A lot of agencies have funding every 2-3 years or so for renewal of vests...or allowances for officers to purchase.
                              LOL, you got me there
                              In god i trust everyone else gets run on NCIC

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6529 users online. 367 members and 6162 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X