300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vests

Okay guys its the time in the academy where we pick our vests. Luckily our dept. pays for our vests for the most part. We get 4 choices: Safariland, ABA, PACA, and GatorHawk. I'v been looking and I really like the new Safariland Mantis with the Impac S.T. armor plate. We also get to pick between II and IIIA. I hear all these other guys say "why not get the IIIA since its about the same weight and of no cost to myself over the II" but I talk to the veterans and they say I would be changing back to the II if I did go with the IIIA. Just wanted to know what you guys thought about the vest options and whether or not to go with II or IIIA.
    Only a motorcycle rider knows why a dog hangs his head out of a car window!

I use IIIA, the older IIIA's like back in the late 80's (what I used to use for security as a second hand-me down) really restricted me.
    The ones they make now aren't even close, are more lighter and comfortable.

Definitely use IIIA.

Comment

Go with a IIIA. Just look at the ballistic reports on the II and its kinda obvious. Plus the weight ratio is almost identical. I have a IIIA and its about a year old and I love it.

Comment

If you only expect to be shot at with smaller caliber pistols get the II...

All kidding aside, the difference in weight and mobility between II and IIIa on the modern quality vests is negligible. Go with the better protection to start, when you become a crusty guy and decide you don't need that crap then you can downgrade if you want.
        Last edited by yellowreef; 09-09-2008, 10:24 AM.
        "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

Comment

Because you can chose either at no cost I guess that makes it a more difficult decision. My dept issues a level II and some pay out of pocket when ordering there vests to get a IIIA instead. Personnaly I stick with the level II armor. I haven't compared recently but the last time I looked the rounds that will be stopped by a IIIA but will penetrate a II are not very common. To me the odds of being shot in the vest with an obscure round that can penetrate the II but not the IIIA have not outweighed the comfort factor of a few extra layers of Kevlar and the extra out of pocket cost to me.
          There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men. - Edmund Burke

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4856 users online. 269 members and 4587 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X