Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about the ASP baton.

And no, it's not a legality question.

I was looking over their site and just wondered something.

Because they're friction lock, after a couple solid strikes on a person, is it possible for the baton to collapse at an inopportune time, putting you (the operator) at danger?

I suspect it happens all the time with the cheaper ASP knockoffs made with comparatively weaker steel, but I was wondering about the legit ASP-trademark batons.

Has it ever happened or have you heard of anything like this?

It locks in place just fine...but its pretty much worthless for any thing other than intimidation. I'll take a PR-24 any day over an asp...
    "For he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer." Romans 13:4

Comment

Originally posted by bigcitypolice06 View Post
      but its pretty much worthless for any thing other than intimidation.
      Why is that?

Comment

it friction locks when being swung. if you are actively swinging it the baton will stay open. i agree on pr-24s...they just took ours away.
        Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

But if you make good contact, good luck closing it again!
          "We're not in this business for the money. We're not in it for the excitement, and moments like this. Duty, honor, country, service, truth, and justice are good. But you can do that from behind a desk. In the end, you carry a gun and shield out into the field for the sole purpose of confronting the bad guys. The enemy. There is no other reason to be on the front lines." ~Nelson Demille

If your story involves Peanut Butter and an animal - give up now!
          sigpic

Comment

working in cali, our dept took away our side handle batons in favor of a friction lock expandable baton (MEB). i miss the side handle for the lack of offensive
            techniques, and the retention ability
            Gogreen in Blythe

Comment

I've watched people struggle to break windows and try to inflict pain with them... I've never had a problem like that with my pr-24. I used to have one on my belt with the theory that I would need it at the end of a foot pursuit...but that ended with it flying off my sam browne (I tried 2 different holders) I will stick with the PR-24...
              "For he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer." Romans 13:4

Comment

i use a ASP and i dont have any problems breaking windows up or down it might be the operator, but i dont use it for suspects just intimidation. we use tasers and oc.
                In god i trust everyone else gets run on NCIC

Comment

It's a steel pipe ffs, of course it works. It might not work "as good" as a hickory stick, but it works. It is a more precise tool, and if you don't successfully impact with the area you are supposed to, you might as well hit the subject with a flyswatter. Therein lies the pain in the butt and the reason people don't like it as much as a wooden stick or a PR-24. I've used it effectively with no complaints, except that some of the stikes missed the mark and weren't effective. As for the original question, no it won't close on you in the middle of a fight.
                  "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

Comment

Yes the friction lock type batons some times collapse at inopprotune times which is why you need to make sure you service your asp every couple of months by checking the retaining pins and resizing them if need be and checking the shaft for bends or cracks. No straight baton, no matter what it's made of delivers the striking force of a baton that has a handle because of the torque you can get in wrist rotation versus straight strikes. The PR24 is actually made of hard rubber not "hickory" and the fact that it bends slightly added to the fact that the handle gives you great amounts of torque alone makes it an awesome effective striking tool. You can actually hear the wind being cut when you swing a PR versus any other baton and I miss them because they actually caused less injury but way more pain. The reason most have all gone with the ASP is because it is always readily available on your duty belt versus the PR which too frequently was left behind in the squad car.
                    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by Nightshift va View Post
                      The PR24 is actually made of hard rubber not "hickory"
                      I see you didn't get the reference. Some of the old old guys still maintain that their hickory stick was better than the PR-24, and now people say that the PR-24 is better than the CSB. That's why I said "wooden stick or a PR-24". I just went back a few more years is all.
                      "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5425 users online. 276 members and 5149 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X