Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help in florida

Hello all;
    I'm a Florida security officer looking for some LE advice relating to my post at an industrial complex.

First for some background:
    I'm presently working as a contract security officer working an afternoon 3:00-11:00 p.m. shift. We
    basically work a post with no "post orders" from our security company. Being a Florida licensed
    security officer (in Manatee County) requires me to protect people/property (and whatever else
    the client might want). We are working for only one of the (3) property tenants. We are posted
    at a front gate situation. Typically we have a "visitors log" we fill in for our tour of duty.

With that said here is what I'm looking for some help with:
    Some employees that work for our client company really are very disrespectful and are
    difficult to deal with. When they come to work some will ignore the stop sign and go and
    park. We are required to identify a client employee by a windshield "sticker" that is very
    difficult to see at the nighttime hours. The stop signs I'm told because they are on private
    property are illegal (unless they were installed by the County). I have talked with the
    property manager and I get no help/advice from him.

There was a time when I was asked to stop any employee that was leaving the complex
    before their assigned lunch time. I got the names of about 10 people; a couple were resisting
    giving their names; one individual tried to go around me I had to yell to stop him to stop. When I
    talked to that individual that tried to go around I could smell alcohol. Very frequently these same
    individuals "race" each other going out the gate to beat a traffic signal. It has become very frustrating.

What can I or can't I do with regards to the employees "running" the stop sign?
    I have reported similar incidents an have not gotten anything in the way of help.

A second question would be (without embarrassing myself or possibly my client) what can
    I do if an employee is somewhat confrontional as far as getting their i.d.. We have a list
    of employees but have no way to relate to the windshield sticker information (which is just a
    number. I realize I can always have LE run the tag as a last resort.

Thanks in advance

It is not illegal to place a stop sign on private property. It is also not illegal for someone to fail to stop at it. The only recourse you have is to report it to your client and they can do as they wish with the information.
    If one man can make a difference, every man should.

Comment

wrong thread.

Comment

Originally posted by saranac View Post
        It is not illegal to place a stop sign on private property. It is also not illegal for someone to fail to stop at it. The only recourse you have is to report it to your client and they can do as they wish with the information.
        Thanks much for the information.

Comment

I would take it up with your employer and let him/her know that you are attempting to do your duty. That way when the client comes whining that your not doing your job they can just point out the documented problems with client employees not following their own company policies.

I would also get some clarification from the client what they want you to do when an employee is refusing to cooperate.

Also put some freaking gates on the entry. No one is going screw up the car to avoid talking to the security guard.

Get a list or make your own linking the sticker numbers to the name of the employee.

Lastly try to build a repor(spelling?) with the employees and let them know that your not a cop looking to bust them but are trying to keep them safe from bad people or annoying solicitors. I know where you're coming from. People don't respect because your the security guard. Just kill them with kindness and carry a tape recorder.
          Last edited by wirefire2; 09-08-2008, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wirefire2 View Post
            I would take it up with your employer and let him/her know that you are attempting to do your duty. That way when the client comes whining that your not doing your job they can just point out the documented problems with client employees not following their own company policies.

I would also get some clarification from the client what they want you to do when an employee is refusing to cooperate.

Also put some freaking gates on the entry. No one is going screw up the car to avoid talking to the security guard.

Get a list or make your own linking the sticker numbers to the name of the employee.

Lastly try to build a repor(spelling?) with the employees and let them know that your not a cop looking to bust them but are trying to keep them safe from bad people or annoying solicitors. I know where you're coming from. People don't respect because your the security guard. Just kill them with kindness and carry a tape recorder.
            That is great advice...............and the gates are already in the works!

Comment

Pass along your concerns to the boss and keep a log. If they don't want you to enforce the rules I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                Pass along your concerns to the boss and keep a log. If they don't want you to enforce the rules I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
                Double that on the daily security log. You should be making a minimum of one entry per hour. If its possible, and not to busy, at this post make a note when an employee comes and goes. If its too much traffic for that just note the visitors and any incidents.

Comment

Your actions are limited by two basic considerations. The law, and the client's willingness/ability to back you in your efforts. You're discovering that this particular client isn't especially interested in having your company enforce his rules. You really don't have too much recourse to your Guard Company, as their first priority is pleasing the client. You could ask for assignment to another, perhaps more desirable post, and that might end up being your best option, short of finding another employer. Please understand, I'm not attempting to be sarcastic at your expense. Your situation is far more common than you might think. In the meantime, simply do the best you can, and try to get through the shift with a minimum of problems.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5658 users online. 341 members and 5317 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X