Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Skycar.

http://www.moller.com/skycar.htm

How do you think technology like this (should it be put into mass production) would effect the job of law enforcement? Obviously the possibilities are vast, but what are some major concerns/concepts that you immediately think of (besides the Jetsons )?

First of all, I'm not entirely sure how it would effect LE.... but I *can* tell you that fatality rates would SKYROCKET.

You hear all the time about how flying is safer than driving..... well, that's because there are professional pilots flying those planes. You put even 5% of the morons who drive cars today into planes and you've got a SERIOUS situation on your hands.... not to mention turning every human, house, building, structure, etc, in complete and total danger.

Just my .02.
    1*

Comment

FAA nightmare. I would love to have one though
      The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

sure would cut down on response time.. im gonna need a way more powerfill spotlight for numerics
        In god i trust everyone else gets run on NCIC

Comment

It will be treated just like any other powered aircraft by the FAA. You wil still need a pilot's rating to fly it and insurance will be extremely costly because it is a turbine powered aircraft.
          Airborne Cops are closer to God.
          Arms and legs are just extensions of flight controls.

THESE BIG RED LETTERS HELP ME FIND MY POST.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopperCopper View Post
            It will be treated just like any other powered aircraft by the FAA. You wil still need a pilot's rating to fly it and insurance will be extremely costly because it is a turbine powered aircraft.
            Agreed. Being a student pilot, I looked into this myself.

Currently the Skycar is categorized as a "powered-lift normal" aircraft by the FAA. This means that, yes, you will require a "powered-lift normal" category pilot's license to operate a Skycar. However, it is our intention that the volantor will eventually evolve into a completely automated form of transportation making you a passenger - not a pilot/driver. At that point, no pilot's license would be required as long as you operate within this control network.
            -Moller Inc.

I guess that's how they plan on getting around the FARs eventually.

I just want to entertain the idea of these things replacing the automobile, not just another general aviation aircraft.

Comment

This "automated network" is a hundred years and a billion dollars from now.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopperCopper View Post
                This "automated network" is a hundred years and a billion dollars from now.
                Actaully not really, the technology already exists. It is a simple JDAM type control. Simply type in your destination address (similar to typing in the target for a missle) and the program figures out how to get you there using GPS. As the number of Skycars increases additional code can be added to ensure you do not intersect with any other vehicle or building on the "road".
                But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

You do understand that you still have to be a pilot, don't you?

A hundred years and a billion dollars away.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4857 users online. 270 members and 4587 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X