Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detective Hiring Process?

Hey everyone,

I know this may be a weird question but what is the hiring process for Police Detectives? I know you have to put in work as a street cop (which is why I'm getting my Masters in Criminal Justice) but can you guys tell me step by step what do you have to do?

1. Is it true you need 2-5 years experience?
    2. How do you go on to apply (do you walk into any agency and try to apply?)
    3. When you apply how long does it take you to get a word from the chief? Do you have to take more test (even after you take all the exams, poly, and etc?)

Please help me on this.

Your agency will have a testing process for detective.....and pretty much every other specialized position.

You CAN NOT walk into agency A and apply for a detective spot there, when you work for agency B.......

For us, you would have to have around 7-10 years before you would be even considered for a detective spot.....

Each agencies testing process will be different.....
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
      Your agency will have a testing process for detective.....and pretty much every other specialized position.

You CAN NOT walk into agency A and apply for a detective spot there, when you work for agency B.......

For us, you would have to have around 7-10 years before you would be even considered for a detective spot.....

Each agencies testing process will be different.....

Thank you..

Comment

If you want to work as an investigator right when you start at an agency, then you are going to need to look at agencies that do investigations as their primary focus, such as the FBI and some of the other State and Federal level agencies.......

If you want to do actual police work (sorry....Freudian slip there) then you will have to pay your dues on the street and THEN apply to be a detective at your agency; if and when a spot opens up.
        The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

If you want to work as an investigator right when you start at an agency, then you are going to need to look at agencies that do investigations as their primary focus, such as the FBI and some of the other State and Federal level agencies.......

If you want to do actual police work (sorry....Freudian slip there) then you will have to pay your dues on the street and THEN apply to be a detective at your agency; if and when a spot opens up.

Do not get frustrated with me! But I'm kind of new to the whole Law Enforcement thing. I do want to work as an investigator primarily for the FBI as a FBI policeman but as I did research it said you also need street experience. Is this 100% true or do they hire you if you have an education? (I'm in Michigan right now, but after I'm done with my degree I want to work in the Tampa, Florida or LA county area)

What are other State Agencies?

Comment

There is another way.

Besides being a coffee-drinking, newspaper-reading, golf-playing, suck up...

As a patrol officer, you can take your preliminary investigations beyond the "norm".

There's a saying, "GAYA AKOD!" It stands for, "get off your tail, and knock on doors." Someone broke into a house? See what the neighbors saw. Ask the letter carrier or the UPS/FedEx guys who have regular routes in the neighborhood.

Ask better questions of all parties. Try and locate witnesses. Pin down statements from suspects - lock them into their statement. Take interview and interrogation classes. Know your search and seizure and your Miranda limits and (more importantly)freedoms. Make the details support the crime/charge you're writing about. Write reports that require no kickbacks. Learn all available automated criminal history, ID,and record searches.

They'll know your work quality before you walk into the interview - and know you deserve the job.
            Last edited by Kieth M.; 09-05-2008, 11:28 PM.
            "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Originally posted by detective42 View Post

Do not get frustrated with me! But I'm kind of new to the whole Law Enforcement thing. I do want to work as an investigator primarily for the FBI as a FBI policeman but as I did research it said you also need street experience. Is this 100% true or do they hire you if you have an education? (I'm in Michigan right now, but after I'm done with my degree I want to work in the Tampa, Florida or LA county area)

What are other State Agencies?
              You need to do ALOT of research.....google is your friend....

There is no such thing as 'FBI Police'.........the FBI is an investigative agency.....the Agents are sworn as Federal peace officers.

You do not need outside LE experience to get hired by the FBI....you DO need a 4 year degree at a minimum to be considered for employment. You can also work for a local agency, and then attempt to get hired by the FBI at a later time......this means that you START OVER as far as seniority ect goes.....same as if you were a new hire walking in the door.....

There are LOTS of 'state level' agencies in pretty much every state that do investigative work,,,,,CA DOJ is one.....

Comment

I agree with all the above.
                The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                that we are all that stands between
                the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

http://www.fbijobs.gov/126.asp
                  I'm sorry, LA DEP, but since you put it in quotes, I just had to point it out...
                  I know it's not the same thing, but the quotes man, the quotes..

Comment

Originally posted by ROSchwoe
                    That's not entirely true. FBI does have it's own police officers, who are sworn, but mainly do security type work at the major facilities FBI owns. Police officers with FBI are not the same thing as their special agents (who are the sworn investigators). Here's some general info on FBI Police from the FBI's website: http://www.fbijobs.gov/126.asp
                    ok....I stand corrected......but if they are doing what you describe, then they are no more 'police' then the US Marshalls that guard the Federal Courts........

Just as I was not 'Police' even though my patches said "Contract Security Police" when I worked security at Edwards AFB back in the day......

Comment

In my agency, the requirement is to "graduate from an approved police academy. Upon successful completion of the investigations assignment, you are promoted to uniform patrol....!!" Seriously, we have had to lower the time in service requirment to a year, since no one wants to go the bureau....uniform works 4 10 hour days, detectives work 5 8s. Uniform is considered essential employees, detectives are not, so they actually work an 8 1/2 hour day (no paid lunch). Civilian clothing allowance is $50 a month (been that way since 1978) and the assignment is a lateral transfer, not a promotion. Hence, you are actually demoted: twice as much work, no pay raise. I did 10 as a detective, loved it, then traded up for sergeant's chevrons......

Comment

I agree, but a lot of the uniformed Police agencies in the federal government do a lot more security type work than patrol, investigations or other "typical" police work. These officers are, however, sworn federal law enforcement officers (not contract security or "special police"). While agencies like Secret Service Uniform Division, U.S. Capital Police, Pentagon Police, Federal Protective Services, and various others do a lot of security work, they do get their hands into traditional police work, especially on specialized units and teams.

The only real exceptions to this, that do more traditional patrol over security, that I can think of are Border Patrol and U.S. Park Police.
                        You missed my point.....they may be sworn as LEO, but if all they do is security, then they arent really cops in my opinion......'police' means you actually go out and do POLICE WORK......patrol or investigations......

The only federal level agencies that actually go out and do alot of 'regular' police work are the USMS, Border Patrol, and Park Police.......edit to add:....forgot the DEA, ATF and a couple of the other alphabet soup federal agencies

My patches said 'contract security police' when I worked at Edwards....I had limited arrest authority, and carried an M-16.....but I was NOT a cop by any stretch of the imagination........
                        Last edited by LA DEP; 09-06-2008, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Uhhh... what?

Anyone remember that joke by Lewis Black, "If it weren’t for my horse, I wouldn’t have spent that year in college"? This statement by detective42 (and, BTW, it's pretty lame to give yourself the username "detective" when you are not one) makes about as much sense as that.

You do realize that "work as a street cop" is NOT the same thing as getting your master's in CJ, right? As someone who also got a master's in CJ because I thought it would make me a "shoe in" for a federal investigator job, you'll probably find out the same thing I did, which is it won't. Finish your masters, apply to local/state agencies to get some experience on the streets, then apply for investigative positions (either inside the same department or with state/federal agencies that hire for entry level investigator positions).

Thanks, but that was my plan anyway.

Comment

ok....I stand corrected......but if they are doing what you describe, then they are no more 'police' then the US Marshalls that guard the Federal Courts........
                            Errr....

A. The FBI Police might not police in the traditional sense but they are Federal LEOs and have all the powers that any another Fed has....plus, they run call for service and do traffic stops in DC......not sure about the other places they are at....but in DC they are the Po-Po.....

B. There is only one "L" in Marshal when you are referring to the USMS.....

C. Deputy US Marshals don't guard Federal Court Houses.....that work is contracted out by the USMS to private security companies.... During big trials, they maybe out to help....but as a whole....that's not a job they do....

Comment

Originally posted by detective42 View Post
                              Thanks, but that was my plan anyway.
                              Err....they guy you are talking to happens to know what he's talking about.....

He worked in the Education Field for a while while working on his advanced degrees.....and worked part-time as a LEO....before becoming a Federal LEO with a very respectable agency......

Perhaps you need to ask him what the time-line was like to get on with his agency.....?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3604 users online. 274 members and 3330 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X