Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loud Mufflers driving me crazy!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Loud Mufflers driving me crazy!

    Hello,

    I live in Upper Westchester New York (Cortlandt Manor) and unfortunately my house is located on a main road. We have constant traffic going by my house but what annoys me the most are the motorcycles and cars with the loud mufflers. I've done some research and it seems like these modified mufflers are illegal. My question is why don't the troopers ticket these motorcycles and cars that have these obvious modified exhausts? There are an abundance of Harley riders in my area that shake my house when they go by. Are there not enough people complaining about this because I can't be the only one annoyed by this? Who would be the best people to contact to inquire/complain about this issue?

    Thanks very much,

    Tony

  • #2
    you might want to see if your local (city) laws include a noise ordinace violation, if so see what it includes. our big problem is bass, my two yr old gets woke up all hours,
    In god i trust everyone else gets run on NCIC

    Comment


    • #3
      I have zero tolerance for people that spend money to make their veh's illegal (mufflers, stereos, etc). The problem is there a lot more of them than there are of us, and that's not even mentioning that 80% of our shift is responding to calls and not actually enforcing traffic.

      I think of my ticket book as a tool to use when needed. The purpose of a ticket is to deter someone from continuing whatever offense they are committing, however in today's society, people think we (police) are only there to harass them and generate revenue. Today, a lot of people think laws don't apply to them if they don't agree with them and they believe they are in the right, no matter what. I just continue to write citations for loud music/mufflers and go about the rest of my day.

      Your not the only one, it irritates me too. I get tired of my pictures vibrating off of the wall because some idiot thinks he/she is impressing someone.
      Last edited by 355339; 09-05-2008, 09:41 AM. Reason: grammer
      Work harder! Millions on welfare depend on you...

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by 355339 View Post
        I have zero tolerance for people that spend money to make their veh's illegal (mufflers, stereos, etc). The problem is there a lot more of them than there are of us, and that's not even mentioning that 80% of our shift is responding to calls and not actually enforcing traffic.

        I think of my ticket book as a tool to use when needed. The purpose of a ticket is to deter someone from continuing whatever offense they are committing, however in today's society, people think we (police) are only there to harass them and generate revenue. Today, a lot of people think laws don't apply to them if they don't agree with them and they believe they are in the right, no matter what. I just continue to write citations for loud music/mufflers and go about the rest of my day.

        Your not the only one, it irritates me too. I get tired of my pictures vibrating off of the wall because some idiot thinks he/she is impressing someone.
        well put
        In god i trust everyone else gets run on NCIC

        Comment


        • #5
          Please delete

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm FAAAAR more tolerant of loud mufflers than any of the previous posters so I'm sorry if I offend you.
            My first thought was "move" if you live on a busy street & can't tolerate loud noise. Buses, semis, firetrucks,etc. all seem to be okay with you (you didn't say anything about them) but cars & MCs bother you? But I do recognize you may have a legitimate complaint, so the first & best response would be to contact the local PD. Explain to them your concerns & if possible the particular hours it seems to be the loudest. Depending on manpower & calls for service MAYBE they can afford to have an officer spend some time in your neighborhood.
            To answer your question as to WHY an orinance isn't enforced --- as I said, manpower & calls for service are the two biggest reasons you won't see alot of officers writing such tickets.

            Comment


            • #7
              i guess i contridicted myself and didnt even realize it because i have a harley. i guess long nights will do that. but i more agree with the fact that you can alwayse move, but like said before a couple complaints or a visit to the city board meeting might do the trick (small town). i really dont have a problem with the exhaust because i love to hear nice sounding car or bike. it not even the stereos but the stuff comming out of if, rock/rap/country there is no need for loud Profanities
              In god i trust everyone else gets run on NCIC

              Comment


              • #8
                Terribly sorry if my 450 HP Hot Rod is annoying...NOT.

                I am annoyed with left-lane d$$ks driving exactly 55 in the passing lane.
                I am annoyed with people who have to slow down and look at accidents.
                I am annoyed with retards that drive with their pets on their laps.
                I am annoyed with idiots talking on the cell phone while driving.
                I am annoyed that everyone in my neighborhood has to mow their lawn at exactly noon while I am trying to sleep

                Get over it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I like 'em.

                  It's a good equipment stroke.
                  "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

                  "Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

                  >>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

                  Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'm not an LEO so this is not advice. Just to inform you those bikers need the loud exhaust which is more commonly stock, due to the fact of thier small size on the road. i don't know how many i have avoided clipping due to the fact that i could hear them, and not be able to see them in my mirrors.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Actually, the mufflers/pipes on STOCK motorcycles (including Harleys) are relatively quite. No louder than stock cars/vans/SUVs. Some are even quieter. Most people that buy them though, get aftermarket mufflers and pipes JUST to make them louder.

                      Do they do this so the person next to them in a SUV won't run them over? No. And I know this from having several friends that drive them and hang out with a bunch of Harley bikers. They do it because it is "cool" or you "can't have a bike without having it be loud and mean".

                      Also

                      Every morning at 6AM this guy that lives next to me remotely starts his truck about 3 minutes before he goes outside(which is also illegal if i remember, and is unnecessary - its the summer and is cool in the morning). He has a muffler attached to it, but I don't think its attached the the exhaust pipe because it wakes me up every freaking morning and it rattles all of my walls in my bedroom. (Not to mention the walls in my apartment are 2x as thick as normal walls)

                      He is one of those guys that when he gets out of his truck, he turns around and kisses his truck because it is so big, noisy, an manly.

                      Should I have to move because his truck is overly-loud? Heck no.

                      Dumb.
                      sigpic
                      A Blog Of My Journey To Become a LEO

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Tony2861 View Post
                        ....but what annoys me the most are the motorcycles and cars with the loud mufflers.
                        Then you'd absolutely love my Z28.

                        Are there not enough people complaining about this because I can't be the only one annoyed by this?
                        I can't say that I have ever been around a car or bike so loud that it "shakes" my house other than maybe a drag car with open headers. And I have been around tens of thousands of muscle cars from fresh off the showroom floor to well past the 1,000 hp mark. Heck neither my Mustangs nor my Z28 even wake up my kids when I pull into the driveway at 6:00 AM. And their room is right where I park.

                        Maybe you do actually have a valid complaint but it sounds more likely that you are just extremely sensitive to this particular issue and are easily annoyed by it for some reason. As someone else pointed out, an 18 wheeler, dump truck, or bus is louder than most anything on the road.

                        Originally posted by 355339 View Post
                        I have zero tolerance for people that spend money to make their veh's illegal (mufflers, stereos, etc).
                        Well I love you too. Except that none of my vehicles are illegal. But I'm sure they would bug the hell out of the two of you regardless.

                        Your not the only one, it irritates me too. I get tired of my pictures vibrating off of the wall because some idiot thinks he/she is impressing someone.
                        See my above response.

                        And if I get on the gas I'm doing it because I enjoy the sound of a muscle car and acceleration. I could not possibly care less about impressing you or the other whiny guy.

                        Originally posted by C-15 View Post
                        i really dont have a problem with the exhaust because i love to hear nice sounding car or bike.
                        At least someone does.

                        Originally posted by sinned View Post
                        Terribly sorry if my 450 HP Hot Rod is annoying...NOT.
                        What do you have?

                        Originally posted by gui4life86 View Post
                        Actually, the mufflers/pipes on STOCK motorcycles (including Harleys) are relatively quite. No louder than stock cars/vans/SUVs. Some are even quieter.
                        I'm scratching my head here because I can't remember the last time I heard a quiet Harley. An Ultra Classic Electra Glide maybe, but not most Harleys. I go by a local huge Harley dealer all the time and I have yet to hear a quiet Harley off the showroom. Even the "quiet" ones make a considerable amount of noise compared to any car.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by mikeymedic View Post
                          I'm not an LEO so this is not advice. Just to inform you those bikers need the loud exhaust which is more commonly stock, due to the fact of thier small size on the road. i don't know how many i have avoided clipping due to the fact that i could hear them, and not be able to see them in my mirrors.
                          #1 If your not a LEO, don't post in this forum.

                          #2 People put loud exhaust or really just straight pipes on their bikes because it sounds awesome. The visibility argument is just an excuse.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Hi, I'm the original poster here and want to thank those who contributed. For those that suggested moving, well I would gladly do so but if you haven't noticed, we are in a small housing crisis right now and it's not so easy to sell your house (especially one that is located on a main road).

                            Next, I have two young kids who get frightened when they are playing in our yard and a loud and obnoxious MC goes by.

                            Lastly, there is a noise ordinance in Cortlandt Manor, NY but it does not seem like it is really enforced. If any police officer wants to sit in my driveway, they could rack up a ton of tickets for illegal mufflers (just kiddin).

                            Thanks for the advice.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by SOI View Post
                              What do you have?
                              68 El Camino and a 04 GT...both with 2-chamber Flows.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 6696 users online. 360 members and 6336 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X