Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can you check if the LEOs knocking on your door are actually LEOs?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can you check if the LEOs knocking on your door are actually LEOs?

The other day on the local news I heard a family was robbed by guys impersonating police officers. And this wasn't the first time. There was another case like these in which a group of men attacked a single mother and threatened to kill her baby and they got in by impersonating officers too. But they were arrested weeks ago.
    Well, I once heard something about how there is a number you can call to verify that officers have actually been dispatched to your area. I remember hearing something about this once but I don't exactly remember what it was. And I want my family to be safe, especially when I'm not home. So, who can I call?
    Last edited by Mr. Sauer; 09-04-2008, 10:42 PM.

Learn the non-emergency number for whoever it is dispatches for your local agencies. You can call them and they should be able to tell you...

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Sauer View Post
      Well, I once heard something about how there is a number you can call to see if officers have actually been dispatched to your area. I remember hearing something about this once but I don't remember exactly what it was.
      No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we require him to obey it.
      -Theodore Roosevelt

The views expressed by this screen name do not represent any civilian,municipal, military, or federal law enforcement agency and are strictly the views of the individual writing. Under no circumstances should someone consider the content of these posts to have anything less than a great deal of sarcasm interlaced throughout. Read at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Zamkn View Post

ha ha ha....you beat me too it

Comment

Both of the above are correct answers. Deputies and officers in our area carry identification cards along with our badges. If your not sure who they are when they come to the door ask them to see their identification cards. Once you have their name's then call your non-emergency number/or 911 and ask if they are officers or not.

If they are there serving some kind of warrant or something of that nature and your stalling they will know. You will then find out the hard way not to obstruct an investigation.
          Some people were just dropped on their heads as children more than the rest of us!

Comment

Full uniform and a police car parked out front are pretty good giveaways. Don't get caught up in the paranoia and realize most "police impersonators" have a cracker jack badge, a "police" t-shirt, and an authorative demeanor.

If there is no marked car and no uniformed officer, by all means verify if you feel something is out of place.
            I miss you, Dave.
            http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

+3 on the 911.You should have them confirmed (or not) withing 10-15 seconds. Be sure to shout through the door you are confirming their authority with 911, cause if they are posers, they will probably take off.
              Work harder! Millions on welfare depend on you...

Comment

call 911 and check!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
                  Full uniform and a police car parked out front are pretty good giveaways. Don't get caught up in the paranoia and realize most "police impersonators" have a cracker jack badge, a "police" t-shirt, and an authorative demeanor.

If there is no marked car and no uniformed officer, by all means verify if you feel something is out of place.
                  +1 but also know the detective don't wear a uniform, and are in an unmarked car. Go for 911 tho, and let them know you are calling them
                  Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Comment

In a majority of cases I have read concerning police impersonators entering homes, there were other factors at play (i.e. drug house, known house for large sums of money, other criminal activity). The invaders would say anything to get the door opened/unlocked to force their way in.
                    I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

I had one lady call the PD asking if I was actually a police officer because the badge, uniform, marked patrol car and my department issued ID card did not convince her that I was actually the police. The funniest thing about it was...... SHE CALLED FOR US TO COME TO HER HOUSE TO TAKE A REPORT.

Comment

I'm so sorry!
                        I forgot which forum room I was in!!
                        Didn't mean to post!!
                        Last edited by CoffeeRoll; 09-07-2008, 08:37 AM. Reason: I'm so sorry! I forgot which forum room I was in!! Didn't mean to post!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Sauer View Post
                          The other day on the local news I heard a family was robbed by guys impersonating police officers. And this wasn't the first time. There was another case like these in which a group of men attacked a single mother and threatened to kill her baby and they got in by impersonating officers too. But they were arrested weeks ago.
                          Well, I once heard something about how there is a number you can call to verify that officers have actually been dispatched to your area. I remember hearing something about this once but I don't exactly remember what it was. And I want my family to be safe, especially when I'm not home. So, who can I call?
                          Very easy. Slide doughnuts and sunflower seeds under the door. If they dissappear, THOSE ARE COPS.

Comment

Originally posted by CityCopDC View Post
                            Very easy. Slide doughnuts and sunflower seeds under the door. If they dissappear, THOSE ARE COPS.
                            hahaha that's funny!!
                            Time flies...it's up to you to be the navigator.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzz View Post
                              I had one lady call the PD asking if I was actually a police officer because the badge, uniform, marked patrol car and my department issued ID card did not convince her that I was actually the police. The funniest thing about it was...... SHE CALLED FOR US TO COME TO HER HOUSE TO TAKE A REPORT.
                              Sadly this is more common than most people know, although at least my supervisors are facetious enough to tell us to just go 10-8 and put a comment in CAD about the contact; so dispatch can advise the party when they call back.

"Well maam/sir, the Officer's responded but stated that you did not want their services because the marked patrol car, full police uniform, shiny silver star, and police ID were insufficient proof of their identity for your call for service. Those were the Officer's you requested but you refused service."

Sometimes they send us back, if it is a rinse and repeat; then the Sgt will tell dispatch to send them to the counter at the station, and put a disregard on that specific call for service.
                              "Oro En Paz, Fierro En Guerra"
                              "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
                              - Attributed to both George Orwell and Winston Churchill (unsourced)
                              Californian by birth, Cardinals fan by marriage!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5233 users online. 265 members and 4968 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X