Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

using your own vehicle as a police car???

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• using your own vehicle as a police car???

I was under the impression a police officer can purposely turn their personal car into a police car??? I know that a LEO can stop someone in their personal car by waving them to the side or whatever but can they prepare their car for emergency stops and pulling people over? I saw this in another post on here

And the person said it was a guy from HI that is a police officer and has a 300c SRT8 and decided to make it a police car. Is that legal?

Not here in CA, not by a long shot.....

also, you are either stupid, or suicidal, or both to try and 'wave someone over to the side of the road' when you are off duty,,,,,,,

off duty means OFF DUTY......if someone is driving like a fool, call the ON DUTY guys, and let them handle it.....
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Plus I would think that your insurance company would not like it a whole lot.

Then if you have a crash while "playing Po-Po" in your personal vehicle and utilizing the emergency equipment, your insurance would likely not cover you.

In other words, you're on your own. If you total your $30 or 40 thousand car, you're just SOL.

Oh, and if you're not LE, we won't even talk about the impersonating an officer charges.

(But considering the above, if you want to, go right ahead.)

"Yes sir, I know you have rights."
      "In fact, I know your rights better than you do!"

Comment

We don't allow it either. Off-duty means your off, like stated above. If your in your personal car you can't do nothing. If you see some thing you think worth pulling over (dui, arrestable offense) then call 911 or if you know an on-duty officer in the area, give them the arrest.

MDPD doesn't even like you pulling people over in your patrol car when your off-duty. The whole point of driving your patrol car off-duty is simply so the public see's it and slows down and that kind of stuff. However if some jerk decides to blow by you while your driving your marked car, do what you gotta do. You can't allow the public to disrespect you either, blowing by a marked vehicle is a lack of respect.

If you want to drive "a cool car" such as a chrysler 300 or dodge charger etc... Join a special squad that requires you to drive unmarked cars.

Comment

When I was growing up in Hawai'i I went to school with a number of kids whose fathers were LEOs. At that time, patrol officers were permitted to purchase a certain type of sedan - the agency provided a stipend and equipped the vehicles - and the officers used them as both patrol car and family sedan. The kids were not permitted to drive them. The vehicles were solid colors with decals on the doors. They had red lights, sirens, etc. Since I have not been back to live in the Islands since 1959, I have no idea how the PD does things now. I do know they have department patrol cars that are clearly marked.
          Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

cant do it in MS either, if the department wants you to work off duty or give you that option they will give you a take home car. besides that the last thing i would do is arrest someone give them the option to bond out and on my way to the store with my family they see the same car that pulled them over....NEGATIVE
            In god i trust everyone else gets run on NCIC

Comment

To clarify about the pictured car. That one is NOT in Hawaii, its in the Indianapolis area. And I know nothing more than was reported along with this photo, by a service tech at a dealer in that area.

He reported the owner was law enforcement, and thought he was either a senior officer with a local Indy area epartment, or some officer of the court, maybe bail jumper involved sorta guy?

Comment

I doubt the bad guys would stop for a 96 s-10
                “Most people spend more time and energy going around problems than in trying to solve them.”
                ― Henry Ford

Comment

Let me preface this by saying I DO NOT SUPPORT OR RECOMEND USING YOUR POV FOR POLICE WORK.

However I am sick of seeing the same old mantra of "uhhh if you use your pov for police work your insurance company wont cover it...."

Has anyone EVER actually seen an exclusion in a auto insurance policy that specificaly states that it will not cover law enforcement activity? Doubtfull. However I can say from an educated stance that no insurance company would cover your POV for ramming, pitting, or other "contact" sports cops somtimes play with cars. No insurance company covers intentional acts of property damage.

However lots of cops use there POV for "police related activities". If an off duty cop, or on duty on his.her way to work in their pov sees a officer on a T.S. getting there ___ handed too them and then stop to assist. They pull off the road and join in the fight, suspect gets taken into custody. However after the suspect is cuffed a sleeping driver runs off the road and into your pov. Your car was were it was for a law enforcement purpose, however your insurance will STILL cover the incident (even though it actually will be the other drivers insurance that will cover it)

Ok here is ANOTHER example. Your a SWAT/ERT member who got the page to respond to a location to heavy up. Your assigned cruiser is getting PM so your in your POV. You are on the clock from the point you got the page/call. While enroute you get rear ended. Your insurance company is STILL going to cover your car.

Here is another. Your outrunning errands off duty, you see a crime in progress (lets say a purse snatching), you pull ahead of the bad guy who is on foot, park, jump out, gun face and order, bad guy is on PCP and beigins punching and kicking your POV, calvary comes taser in hand and bad guy is taken into custody. Your insurance is STILL going to cover the damage (if you have full coverage).

I have talked to ALOT of insurance companies about ALOT of accidents and never once have I or anyone I know EVER been asked "well were you/they/anyone doing police work?

Its a red herring.

Is it smart to use your POV for silly stuff like traffic enforcemnt or off duty squirlyness? NO IT IS NOT. However I challenge anyone to show me a link, quote, etc from an insurance policy that says if your doing police work we wont touch you.
                  The greatest misconception in police work that gets more officers killed is alot of cops are still taught to use the "minimum force necessary". In reality a true professional will always resort to the "Maximum Allowable Force" to resolve a situation. They mean the same thing, however one is a restriction and the other is an empowerment.

Comment

I think the idea of using your personal car is a bit out there. You would be responsible for insurance and if something happens. Thats why we drive "police cars" haha. I have seen it done out here in Illinois. As far as I understand our state law requires 3 things to have lights in your personal car. a badge, and ID card to go with it and a letter of authorization from your chief authorizing you to own/display emergency lights on your personal vehicle. I have seen many of our ESDA or EMA (emergency management officials) have lights in their personal vehicles... Law Enforcement-wise... I have only seen a handfull of chiefs, srt, sog, swat guys have em.

Comment

Originally posted by GLHS837 View Post
                      To clarify about the pictured car. That one is NOT in Hawaii, its in the Indianapolis area. And I know nothing more than was reported along with this photo, by a service tech at a dealer in that area.

He reported the owner was law enforcement, and thought he was either a senior officer with a local Indy area epartment, or some officer of the court, maybe bail jumper involved sorta guy?

I believe that you are talking about the Perry Township Constable. Perry Township is within Indianapolis/Marion County, IN. The Constable supplies his own personal vehicle. Constables in TN, KY, AR, MS, AL & IN use their own personal vehicles as well as most parishes in LA. I know some city marshals also use their own vehicles as well in some of the above listed states.
                      That's what they do, it's a trailer park.

Comment

Tazed,

To reply to your reply.

In my department, emergency lights/sirens are specifically forbidden in POV's by department policy.

Now, that being said, we do have what we call a subsidy program, whereby certain deputies are allowed to buy their own personal vehicle for duty use (detectives, admins, and a few others) and receive a monthly stipend for the department use of said vehicle.

The department installs emergency equipment for those having a legitimate need (such as detectives) who are subject to call outs, including emergency situations.

However - the department covers those vehicles on the department insurance policy for the times they are used on duty. The individual deputy is required to also have his/her own personal insurance on the vehicle for their off duty use.

Obviously this varies from department to department. That's how ours works. I know I would not want to have to have my insurance company get a copy of my crash report, where the investigating officer writes that "Sgt. XXX, while responding to a call out and utilizing his emergency lights and siren and attempting to maneuver through heavy traffic . . . "

They may cover one crash under the above, but will they continue your coverage after?

Not worth it to me to have to find out.

"Yes sir, I know you have rights."
                        "In fact, I know your rights better than you do!"

Comment

just thinking about policing off duty...when i was in the academy, one of my fellow classmates had emergency lights in his pov, he made a traffic stop on the way home from the academy.......uh yea what an idiot...he got fired

Comment

Until about a couple years ago there were still a couple departments in Western Nebraska where the sheriffs had to provide their own patrol vehicles. They paid the sheriffs so many cents per mile to drive their own car. If I remember right the last couple counties bought used vehicles from the state patrol auctions for these departments.
                            Some people were just dropped on their heads as children more than the rest of us!

Comment

I wish we could. We're allowed to put light bars on our personal vehicles but thats pretty much for off duty gigs like sitting behind road construction crews and what not. I was considering buying a old crown vic for that purpose and installing a ps3 and lcd screen. But as for getting in pursuits and stuff like that MAJOR liability issues. I'd like to put lights on a GSXR so we could keep up with those damn crotch rockets.
                              Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4442 users online. 306 members and 4136 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X