Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you stop me for driving a Crown Vic?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you stop me for driving a Crown Vic?

A few months ago, I was stopped by a sheriff's deputy who claimed my Crown Victoria "resembled a law enforcement vehicle". He was basing this on the fact that I had a CB antenna on the trunk. I've had a CB in every car I've driven for the last 10 years. He also claimed that he thought my cell phone, clipped to the seatbelt, looked like a badge from a distance. It was bright red, not silver or brass! I already knew that North Carolina law only prohibits coloration, insignia, lettering, or a red or blue light that makes the car resemble a cop car. Think about it - a lot of private cars have CB and cellular antennas. After being asked repeatedly whether I had weapons or police badges and even Terry-frisked, I was sent on my way, but he urged me to remove the antenna. I later heard that there had been recent blue-light bandit incidents in the area. I removed the antenna anyway after my CB radio was stolen.

I recently bought a new CB and of course it's useless without an antenna. My question is, would you pull me over simply because my plain silver crown vic has an aftermarket antenna? I'm not an impersonator or "whacker", I don't have strobe lights and I drive safely. Windows are only tinted 35% (the legal limit). I plan to get a window-mounted antenna which is smaller and doesn't clutter up the trunk lid.

Originally posted by britishdentist View Post
    A few months ago, I was stopped by a sheriff's deputy who claimed my Crown Victoria "resembled a law enforcement vehicle". He was basing this on the fact that I had a CB antenna on the trunk. I've had a CB in every car I've driven for the last 10 years. He also claimed that he thought my cell phone, clipped to the seatbelt, looked like a badge from a distance. It was bright red, not silver or brass! I already knew that North Carolina law only prohibits coloration, insignia, lettering, or a red or blue light that makes the car resemble a cop car. Think about it - a lot of private cars have CB and cellular antennas. After being asked repeatedly whether I had weapons or police badges and even Terry-frisked, I was sent on my way, but he urged me to remove the antenna. I later heard that there had been recent blue-light bandit incidents in the area. I removed the antenna anyway after my CB radio was stolen.

I recently bought a new CB and of course it's useless without an antenna. My question is, would you pull me over simply because my plain silver crown vic has an aftermarket antenna? I'm not an impersonator or "whacker", I don't have strobe lights and I drive safely. Windows are only tinted 35% (the legal limit). I plan to get a window-mounted antenna which is smaller and doesn't clutter up the trunk lid.
    Based solely on your post, I would see no reason to stop you. Keep in mind that I wasn't there. It's not unlawful to have a CB antennae on your trunk or any other part of your vehicle.

Comment

To each his own but I can't understand why a (non wannabe type) person would drive a CV. The wannabes hope people will think they're cops so they can feel important. Rightly or not I tend to view people who drive CVs (especially decommissioned cruisers) as whackers.
      Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

I dont see any PC to stop you based on your description of the events...... but I learned long ago there are always three sides to the story so maybe the deputy had other PC to stop you and wanted to chat about the car...... hard to say

Comment

I probally wouldn't use that as "reasonable suspision," or PC to stop unless there was a BOLO for a car that matched that description. But a Crown Vic with an atenna thats not county or a neighboring city is one of those things that make me go "hmmmm." I'd probally follow you until I could get a good pc just to see who you were.
          Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Comment

Originally posted by britishdentist View Post

This is a joke ain't it? A man stopped you because you drive a Ford Crown Victoria that has a CB antenna?

I'ld have 5 freaking antennas on it next time, even if all I had was AM / FM.

No PC for a stop that I can see.

Originally posted by BrickCop
            but I can't understand why a (non wannabe type) person would drive a CV.
            The majority of Crown Vics are private vehicles, they represent a great transportation value for the price, they are dependable, roomy, and can tow a real trailer. They might not be your cup of tea, I'll grant that ... but many prefer a roomy 4 door family car to a SUV or 4x4 dualie pickup or econobox.

(ps, .... I assumed no facts not in evidence.)
            Last edited by t150vsuptpr; 09-07-2008, 09:17 PM.
            "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

Younger people driving Crown Vics tend to garner extra attention, as its typically an "old man car." Ditto all large rear wheel driver domestic sedans, the Grand Marquis, the Town Car, etc. I've owned a Town Car and an LTD, the precursor to the Crown Vic, and they are very comfortable cars, reasonably economical, and you can haul your five closest friends without issue or thigh chafe.

In Indiana unless you have a police paint scheme, you're good. That doesn't mean I can't wait for you to violate any of the other traffic ordinances to take the opportunity to meet you. This will happen more often if you're driving a car that resembles one used in a crime in your area.
              I miss you, Dave.
              http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
                Younger people driving Crown Vics tend to garner extra attention, as its typically an "old man car." Ditto all large rear wheel driver domestic sedans, the Grand Marquis, the Town Car, etc. I've owned a Town Car and an LTD, the precursor to the Crown Vic, and they are very comfortable cars, reasonably economical, and you can haul your five closest friends without issue or thigh chafe.

In Indiana unless you have a police paint scheme, you're good. That doesn't mean I can't wait for you to violate any of the other traffic ordinances to take the opportunity to meet you. This will happen more often if you're driving a car that resembles one used in a crime in your area.

You boys / girls in Tan and Blue will love this story, two of our deputy's were standing outside a local gas station when a punk kid who had just gotten out of a CVPI walks up and says "Why are you guys here? Waiting on the fresh Krispy Kreme's?"

Anyway it PO'ed one of our new full time deputys. So he goes to his car sits down and waits.

The kids leave. He follows. We'll wouldn't ya know it, they had a license plate light out. And the kids just happened to have some marijuana.

Impounded vehicle and jail time for the loud mouth kids.

+1 to my team!

Comment

For all we know, there may have been a guy in your area pulling over females in a fake unmarked car and the officers were being aggressive in looking for him. If that was the case, maybe the officer should have told you what was going on, or maybe the dept didn't want the "bad guy" to know they were on to him. It could have been a number of things, but who knows.
                  Work harder! Millions on welfare depend on you...

Comment

Originally posted by Hoosier_Boy View Post
                    You boys / girls in Tan and Blue will love this story, two of our deputy's were standing outside a local gas station when a punk kid who had just gotten out of a CVPI walks up and says "Why are you guys here? Waiting on the fresh Krispy Kreme's?"

Anyway it PO'ed one of our new full time deputys. So he goes to his car sits down and waits.

The kids leave. He follows. We'll wouldn't ya know it, they had a license plate light out. And the kids just happened to have some marijuana.

+1 to my team!
                    Poetic justice at it's best!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hoosier_Boy View Post

+1 to my team!
                      It's almost like, " If I say something witty to them they'll think I have nothing to hide and won't bother with me."

ROFLMAO !!!!

BG note to self: Fix L.P. light, Smoke less product, Exchange pleasant nods to cops while keeping pie hole shut, phone in bomb threat to jail.
                      PS - next time dont use your own cell phone dumba**

Comment

Well, the whole story is, at the time my car was registered in the name of a business, with a principal address in another state, which the deputy probably thought was odd. However, it's not illegal in NC to register a car that way. At the scene he said it sounded like obtaining property under false pretenses, but in NC there has to be an intent to defraud. The state got its money for the registration & taxes, so no fraud had occurred. I don't think he had RS to stop me just for an unusual registration. I wonder if he truly didn't know the details of the law regarding law enforcement vehicles, or if he was just hoping I didn't know it.

So I guess to be on the safe side should I put the glass-mount CB antenna on the front windshield?

Comment

Just based on the fact that you drive a crown vic with an antenna, no way. Based on the fact that you drive a crown vic with a CB antenna, have a phone clipped to your seat, and there is a problem with people impersonating the police in the area, I can put together a picture of what the Deputy was seeing that day. That's not including the fact you're posting about it on a cop website.

Remember, I don't need Probable Cause to stop you, I just need reasonable suspicion, and that bar is set much lower. If my beat area (granted, being 600 square miles) had an issue with people impersonating police officers, I would be stopping every potential person of interest as well, if for nothing else than to ID them.
                          Invisible cows control my mind.

Comment

Wow, sounds like I'm kind of screwed just for driving the car. It is disheartening when I see thuggz and gangbangers driving the same car I do. At least I didn't chrome it out, I keep mine looking like a respectable sedan. I'm white and I usually dress like Dr. House, so maybe that's kept me from getting hassled more than once. The other times I've driven past cops, sans-antenna, they don't give a second glance. I've seriously considered putting a sign in the rear window that reads "NOT A COP" (or "Ceci n'est pas une voiture de police" in homage to Magritte). Might that put an end to the suspicions of impersonation? It sucks that I have to suffer because irresponsible CVPI owners cast all CVPI owners into suspicion.

I'll admit that the cop connotations did play a small role in influencing my decision to buy the car, but it was largely out of nostalgia, since my dad had one when I was a teenager and I loved driving his. I bought the Interceptor instead of the civilian model for its sturdier construction. At least it's the street appearance package with all the chrome trim. I grew up riding in big American sedans, and the Crown Vic and Grand Marquis are the last of the affordable full-size V8 RWD dinosaurs. Might as well enjoy them while they last.

Comment

Well what about this vehicle then...?

Would you pull this guy over and ticket him for impersonating a Emergency Vehicle, or just cite him for being a fan of the Ravens...?

Seriously, I was curious what the "line" was when it comes to this sort of thing. I assume it comes down to intent/use, But I could see how the mere appearance would be enough to warrant unwanted attention from the authorities. I fail to see how it is any different for a commercial venture (with the obvious exception of movie props)

Can a business obtain a waiver of some sort...?
                              Last edited by celticpilot; 09-08-2008, 09:40 AM.
                              -"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4181 users online. 244 members and 3937 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X