Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SRT-8 police units? anyone have them, or know of them?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SRT-8 police units? anyone have them, or know of them?

I ask as part of my personal mission. Which is to prevent myths from growing up around this relatively new addition to LEOs garages. I see reports every week, from people scattered around the country, of police SRT-8s, marked, unmarked, undercover (although, from what I'm told, you wouldn't know such, since by nature it would never go to a station, or have ANY police equipment).

And I wouldn't consider those as part of the question, really. I know of two confirmed cars, one an officer in HI, who is a member of the 300C forums, and has posted pics of his car, and Ive seen this pic here, which is said to belong to some sort of officer, senior, or or maybe a court officer, in a jurisdiction somewhere in the Indianapolis area. As shown here, taken in a service bay at a dealership.....

I know its possible there's a few seized cars out there, and a few more personal units liked hose above, but Ive got reports from literally almost every state in the union. And I just cant see departments shelling out the cash for the intial outlay, and the hefty maintainence costs, including premium fuel, and tires that are worn out in 20K or so.

So, does anyone know personally of such? I've searched high and low, pondered state budget documents, read a ton of different forums, and nothing beyond that one photo........

Also, in return I would love to offer the Charger communities thanks for what you do, and any knowledge we have that can be of help to you. We have about 10,000 members which equates to a lot of knowledge.

Bill

Just because it has red and blues doesn't necessarily mean it's a "police" vehicle in the traditional sense. There are a lot of federal agencies around here who use armored 300Cs, Cadillacs, Expeditions, Navigators, etc as motorcade vehicles for VIPs that are equipped with red and blues.

Comment

You have pondered high and low and read state documents from every state in the union JSUT to find out where this car comes from or if any department uses them?

I gotta ask. Do you not have anything better to do?
      "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."
      Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Not that particular vehicle, just SRT units in general. I'm a gear head, and an SRT buff, if you will, having owned two of them. I had a feeling, once the Chargers entered service, the myths would grow. And, yes, I have many other things to do, I'm married, and have two kids, work full time, do some kayaking, and take clases at night towards an engineering degree.

This doesnt take up a lot of time, maybe 20-30 minutes a month, tops. As someone reports a state or agnecy having one, I go take a peek online for news releases, press reports. And looking up state documents doesnt take too long, not if your proficient with Google, and know what your after. Sometimes its easy. Sometimes theres no info, in any case, its not a big deal.

What finally prompted me to join was a vendor of ours, who reported selling three head and cam packages, along with nitrous oxide kits, to a unnamed performance shop, who said they were bolting these goodies onto a certain states Highway Patrol SRT-8s. Figured it was time to ask the pros

And BD, yeah, I know the feds have all sorts of oddball stuff, but thats not really what I'm after. Normal departments, state and local. Do I really think a small town in CA, that has maybe a 45mph zone tops, and 3 miles of the 405 running through it has a 35K cruiser that'll top 170 and do 0-60 in 4.8? Nah, but those are the kinds of stories that get told.
        Last edited by GLHS837; 09-04-2008, 05:51 AM.

Comment

Canadian Border Services Agency has at least one Grand Cherokee SRT-8, if that counts.

Comment

my sheriff has a black srt and the chief deputy has a red one but thats it for us, i know of a local city that has a 07 vet completely decaled like their crown vics including a light bar, it says siezed on the back of it. i thing its used for parades and special functions,
            In god i trust everyone else gets run on NCIC

Comment

Originally posted by yooper_fi View Post
              Canadian Border Services Agency has at least one Grand Cherokee SRT-8, if that counts.

I have to ask, and please dont think I'm doubting your word, but do you know those through personal knowledge, or hearsay from another source?
              If its marked, Id love to see pics of it, if not, I understand that is not a reasonable request

Could be a seized vehicle, CDS is certainly large enough to have run across one owned by bad guys. Much more likely than any strictly municipal department.

Dodge makes about 5 thousand SRT-8 Chargers and 300Cs a year, about half that each for the Magnums and Grand Cherokees. The odds of say the Chicago PD coming across one owned by criminals that is okay to seize one from much smaller than an agency that operates 1,200 hundred locations and employs 12,000 people.

Originally posted by C-15 View Post
              my sheriff has a black srt and the chief deputy has a red one but thats it for us, i know of a local city that has a 07 vet completely decaled like their crown vics including a light bar, it says siezed on the back of it. i thing its used for parades and special functions,
              Are those department/county/city bought cars? Or personal ones that are rigged, if I can ask? Ive always thought the price of SRTs, since you cant get fleet pricing, would be prohibitive.
              Last edited by GLHS837; 09-04-2008, 10:56 PM.

Comment

the black one was purchased by the sheriff but the red one was siezed,both are unmarked but fully equiped with all emergency equipment

Comment

Gotcha, thanks. By purchased by the sheriff, I assume you mean he bought it himself, not that the sheriffs department bought it.

Comment

he purchased it so id imagine that the department picked up the tab seeing how it is used only for official use. no pov can be equiped with blue lights in MS.

Comment

Originally posted by GLHS837 View Post
                      I have to ask, and please dont think I'm doubting your word, but do you know those through personal knowledge, or hearsay from another source?
                      If its marked, Id love to see pics of it, if not, I understand that is not a reasonable request
                      It's unmarked; I've only seen it once. They used it to deliver a U.S. Citizen who was being deported from Canada a few months back. I don't know what they use it for the rest of the time, but it was a nice-looking truck.

Comment

Originally posted by GLHS837 View Post
                        I know of two confirmed cars, one an officer in HI, who is a member of the 300C forums, and has posted pics of his car....

Bill
                        Bill, what agency does the Hawaii LEO work for who claims to be using an SRT8? I will say that the Honolulu PD does NOT allow the use of SRT8 300's or Chargers. You may use aftermarket SRT8 parts, such as wheels, fascia, hoods etc, basically a clone, but not a genuine SRT8. I do not believe the outer islands use SRT8's either. Perhaps a Fed agency but I do know of 1 USSS 300C but it is not an SRT8 either but I could be mistaken here.

I am a member of 300C.com and lxforums.com and am very much a gear head myself. Perhaps you could provide a link to a thread on this topic and I can shed some light.
                        The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

I was just talking to a Dodge salesman the other day, when the topic of SRTs came up. Seems the police package Chargers actually have Daytona underpinnings but with less trim on them the package deletes SRT & Daytona badging as the car itself is a baseline model. That may explain the rumor of SRT police cars

Comment

Surf, I'm not sure, its been since 2005, early 2006, maybe, and I never really talked to him myself. The reason I state it as fact is that other 3000C forum members at that time did meet him, and he had posted pics, as I recall. I've been a member there since April 05, but havent been active lately, the chargerforums are my primary hangout, followed by the lxforums. Same name in all places. I just made a thread asking the other old timers to help me out.

Hemi, what the police units share with the Daytona, kinda, is the exhaust and air intake plumbing. Thats where the extra 10hp come from, giving you guys 350 vice 340.

And, to be exact, its actually the exhaust from the Road and Track Performance package. Only real difference between the two exhausts is the number of holes punched in the resonator, which changes the sound, but not the performance. Get a cruiser next to a Daytona, and rev them bth, the Daytona will sound a little meaner.

I think the biggest reason is the wheels, honestly. The police unit bolt on covers look a lot like the SRT five spokes.

Comment

Surf, got my answer, it's a normal 300C, not an SRT, my apologies.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4106 users online. 213 members and 3893 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X