Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions for NYPD Officers - From a Potential Recruit

Hi everyone,

New to the forums, this is my first post.

Currently I'm 24 and have been working in Corporate America for the past 2 1/2 years. I was a finance major in college and thought that I would be happy if I was making good money. Apparently, that isn't the case. Lots of people tell you that money can't buy happiness, but you don't really know that it's true until you have experienced it firsthand.

Anyway, I have been exploring other areas of employment and have always had an admiration for the police occupation, so soon I will be taking the necessary steps to join the NYPD. Unfortunately, I have to have an operation on my shoulder to repair a torn labrum soon, so I have to delay the steps until that is fixed and ready for physical strain. In the meantime, I have a few questions that I would appreciate if anyone from the NYPD could take some time to examine and answer:

1. Do you like your job? Why?
    2. How is the police academy? As many details as you can give would be greatly appreciated.
    3. How are new officers assigned to precincts? I assume it's based on a combination of the NYPD's need for you and your preference, with more consideration given to where you are needed.
    4. How long is it before you can pick a specialty area (i.e. K-9 unit, Highway Patrol, etc.)?
    5. How much control do you have over the hours that you work?

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by Max584 View Post
    1. Do you like your job? Why?
    2. How is the police academy? As many details as you can give would be greatly appreciated.
    3. How are new officers assigned to precincts? I assume it's based on a combination of the NYPD's need for you and your preference, with more consideration given to where you are needed.
    4. How long is it before you can pick a specialty area (i.e. K-9 unit, Highway Patrol, etc.)?
    5. How much control do you have over the hours that you work?

Thanks in advance!
    1. Yes, very much.
    2. It was for the most part easy for me. Everyone has their ups and downs. My down was running, my up was eveything else.
    3.You get assigned not only to precincts, but to housing service areas(projects) and transit as a needed basis. You get to chose your borough of choice now, before it use to be precinct. For the most part, you get your borough, but it can be for example if you chose Bronx. You can be sent to either the 46precinct, or Bronx Transit or some bronx housing service area.
    4. It is typical to have a minimum application time of 5 years on the job for them to consider you for K9, ESU and those other details. Although there are guys that get into some nice details once they pass probation.(2 years)
    5. You gotta be kidding me with this one. Dont make to many plans on this job. You have maybe a ZERO percent of control as a new jack, with time, it gets easier.
    Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

1. Love it. This job is essentially very easy, and in most cases you can do as much work or as little as you choose. I tend to do more because it makes the hours go more quickly, and because I enjoy what we do.

2. The Academy will probably be a breeze for you academically. The PT part gets some people down, but if you're in any kind of shape you'll be fine...it's mainly just very overweight people who have trouble. Just remember you're playing a game there; salute, begin and end every statement with "sir" or "ma'am," and make sure you look sharp.

3. It's needs of the department. Like right now, we're having a ton of shootings where I work. We're chronically understaffed. I can almost guarantee you somewhere between sixty and ninety people from the current Academy class will be joining me in January, regardless of how many put down "Patrol Boro Manhattan South" or "Patrol Boro Queens" on their dream sheets.

I wouldn't even go so far as to say people get the boro of their choice; guys in my class from Staten Island were sent all over the place, and we had people from the Bronx going deep into Brooklyn. We had Long Island guys going to Manhattan North, too.

4. Five years minimum for the "elite" details - ESU, Harbor, K9, Aviation, Mounted, Highway. A lot of other units open up after you're off probation (about two years). Keep in mind that all these units have a lot of different tests and training you've got to pass in order to join. ESU and Harbor are notorious for washing out a lot of candidates during their training.

5. It depends a lot on your bosses and where you work. But yeah, don't make too many plans or expect to put in a 28 for Saturday night and get it when you're new (like me). As far as hardship stuff goes, though (spouse/kid is sick, etc.), the bosses are usually great.

As for the hours themselves, it depends on your command. Where I work, us new folks do either steady 6 pm - 2:35 am or 1 pm - 9:35 pm with a rotating chart, 5 on/3 off/5 on/2 off. Other commands do it differently; the 73, for example, has their Impact guys work noon - 8 pm one week, then 8 pm - 4 am the next week, flip-flopping back and forth every week.
      Last edited by Back to NYC; 09-04-2008, 02:35 PM.
      Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

"You've got to be good in this business, but you've got to get a lot of breaks. If you don't realize that, if you really think you're sitting here because of your genius or anything, I don't know, maybe your background is different, but I got my butt kicked a lot at every level, including this one."

- Stan Van Gundy

Comment

On paper there is a five year minimum to get into ESU and other exclusive details. Let me say again on PAPER there is a five year minimum. Will you meet ALOT of guys who got in with under Five years to those details? YES. It's all who you know not what you know

Comment

Thanks a lot for the info so far, guys. I'm not too worried about the hours and kinda figured to get the kind of "what are you talking about?" responses, but I figured I'd take a shot in the dark ;-)

Comment

So you want to go from making a lot of money to making very little money? Not knocking your change in careers, but have you considered a department that pays a living wage?

Comment

eh we just got a raise.

starting pay is $42k and goes up to 73,000 for top pay. Add in all the other things and it comes out close to $92,000 at 5.5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                So you want to go from making a lot of money to making very little money? Not knocking your change in careers, but have you considered a department that pays a living wage?
                Yes as NYCTNT said, the NYPD did just get a raise. As of now, I would be taking a $6K pay cut to join the NYPD.

I have thought of other departments that pay higher wages, but I would have to move and incur more expenses and headaches, so in my own opinion it would not be worth it.

Comment

Fair enough. Good luck to you.

Comment

Max,

The 6k paycut is worth it in the end when you retire with deferred comp, city pension, retire after 20 years.

Also, for every year after you retire, you get $12k(its going up btw) a year on top of what you get in pension.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCTNT View Post
                      Max,

The 6k paycut is worth it in the end when you retire with deferred comp, city pension, retire after 20 years.

Also, for every year after you retire, you get $12k(its going up btw) a year on top of what you get in pension.
                      Awesome, thanks for that info. I keep asking the same questions to people I know that are cops in the NYPD, and they all are giving me similar answers and for the most part love (not just like) what they're doing. Thanks very much, guys.

Comment

No problem. Seriously, if you take this job, ignore the six-month hairbag you'll inevitably meet on the train on the way to Academy. He will tell you that this job sucks, that the bosses suck, that everything sucks, but this person has no idea what he's talking about because he's only been on the street for six months. The only thing he's seen is Impact, so he really can't comment on the job as a whole. It'd be like me, with my little two months on the street, telling you that the Detective Bureau is a good/bad place to work or that Counter-Terrorism is a great/crappy unit. I don't have the experience to say so.

Everyone in every job has to pay their dues before they get to do the more interesting stuff. Doesn't matter what career you choose, you're gonna pay your dues at the beginning. People don't seem to understand that.
                        Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

"You've got to be good in this business, but you've got to get a lot of breaks. If you don't realize that, if you really think you're sitting here because of your genius or anything, I don't know, maybe your background is different, but I got my butt kicked a lot at every level, including this one."

- Stan Van Gundy

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2972 users online. 176 members and 2796 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X